Brinker

Updated November 25, 2014
3.5

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks
Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times (in 5 reviews)

• Great culture, great work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child (in 8 reviews)

• Work-Life balance is nonexistent (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not much fun anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Used to be a very fun company, low pressure company. When faced with making things difficult or simple, the answer was "We're a burger company!" so simple was better.

Cons

Clung to closely to demands of individuals, both in operations and corporate. Some departments recognized limited resources and planned/filtered accordingly. Other departments thought "it's not my budget that is impacted if I demand the moon".

Tame the Divas. In the departments that spend the most, look at which other departments are demanding the most from them and evaluate the demands they place on others (HR!)

ok job

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

you get good 401 , you get decent pay , you get great meal discounts, they have good vacation policy, fun is encouraged

Cons

hard to mantain work to life balance when you have to work varied shift schedule, only two holidays, used to get an extra day off per quarter which allowed for 4- 3 day weekends a year.

to consider bringing back 3 day weekends, I felt like that offset the fact that holidays were not practicle in rest management

Managing Partner

Current Employee - Managing Partner
    Current Employee - Managing Partner

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Brinker is a very "safe" place to work in the recent economic downfall of our nation. Brinker has great benefits for it's employees, and is constantly looking for the "edge" in the food industry.

Cons

Brinker is in a time of change, and as we all know, "change" is hard for any company - especally one as large as brinker. Very unstable in it's consistency, and continual changes that make operations difficult.

I would say to get back to the basics. Re-visit what made "Brinker" a powerhouse to begin with...stop making so many changes, and concentrate on make very SOLID, MEANINGFUL changes.

exceeds

Former Employee - Server in Cedar Hill, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Cedar Hill, TX

I worked at Brinker

Pros

great fellow employees to work with, we partied all the time and so did the entire team off and on the clock

Cons

had to be at work on time and did not have any smoke breaks for the cooks or servers and the managers did not smoke either

don't worry so much, be happy life is too short to get all stressed out over things that do not matter when it is all said and done

Macaroni Grill is not a terrible restaurant to work at.

Current Employee - Server Assistant in Mandeville, LA
    Current Employee - Server Assistant in Mandeville, LA

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

It is very easy once you learn the menu, policies, and procedures. The money is not the most you could make working in a restaurant but for the amount of work you have to do it is adequate. Managers are very receptive to time off needs.

Cons

Some of the managers are not very good with people skills. Upper management has completely lost touch with the day to day operations of the stores. The quality of your co-workers can vary from excellent to terrible or creepy. Hourly pay for now back of the house work is always below minimum wage and you will not get a raise no matter what.

Work in every position for the rate of pay each position receives for a month.

Brinker satisfies it's reputation as an "ok" place to work.

Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Brinker

Pros

Large company with many locations. There is a significant feeling of "family" with the area you work in. With the large number of locations, it is easy to move or transfer to a different area if your personal situation requires it. You can get experience in a variety of different environments and with a number of different managements styles. Each location has it's own feel.

Cons

Too much competition for too few jobs. If you are not in a large area and near the leadership team, it is very difficult to be recognized and noticed. Often times they will loose good management to "burnout", simply from being left in the same role without any recognition for such a long time. There is definitely a bit of an "inside" group that you have to fit into to get ahead.

Spend some time in the restaurants. Spend less time "knee-jerking". Spend more time planning and less time reacting.

Praise the managers for a job well done

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brinker

Pros

Large company with good ideals. Service is a key component that drives every aspect of the industry

Cons

They don't reward there managers for a job well done but they expect the managers to reward the employees.

Concentrate on the positive feedback, Don't use scare tactics to drive managers.

Dedicated to the development of the team and long term growth of the company

I worked at Brinker full-time

Pros

Culture of hospitality
    People Care and work hard
    Training

Cons

Long hours
    Lots of change
    Medical benefits

I loved a lot of things about working for Brinker!

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brinker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brinker is really one big family. When a team member is in crisis, they pull together and help out with support and the Brinker Family Fund. That is what I miss most about working there, the camaraderie.
    The expectations are clear, and if you exceed them, you will be extremely successful. The bonuses are some of the best in the industry if you can exceed them (which my team always did).

Cons

Chili's kept making a lot of knee jerk reaction changes to keep up with the competition. I am all for change, it is good sometimes, but as a manager in operations, I was in the front lines and had a lot of apologizing to do to the guests, the loyal guests.
    My other con to working there is the 50-55 hour work week is not true, especially if you are trying to hit or exceed your target bonus.

The upper management was really invested in my growth.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Training in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Training in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture! Work hard, play hard is the motto. They have a casual work environment. There is a lot of diversity and development within the company to help you grow professionally (laterally or in your role).

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement and hard to transition into different roles. There used to be a lot less pressure to achieve such intense results which sometimes negatively impacts the great work/life balance that the company promotes.

Brinker Photos

Brinker has fun company-wide meetings. This was circus themed, with senior leadership dressed as clowns.
Todd Wilbur filmed the show Top Secret Recipe on Brinker campus.
Chili