Brio Tuscan Grille Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Saed Mohseni

Pros
  • Very fast paced, with opportunity to make money if you are willing to work for it (in 6 reviews)

• Good pay, good food, some flexibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, sometimes it was slow (in 5 reviews)

• As a bartender it is very hard to make money (in 2 reviews)

1. Good Company

Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I worked at Brio Tuscan Grille full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Management is approachable.

Cons

No large party auto gratuity policy. Hit or miss clientele on weekends.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Server Assistant

I worked at Brio Tuscan Grille part-time

Pros

Great environment, nice staff to work with, and good pay.

Cons

national lasagna day is really busy

3. Server

Current Employee - Server in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food is good and they have potential to be a good restaurant. When they first opened it was really busy and everyone was making really good money.

Cons

They are really unorganized, well at least at the location I'm at. Because of the unorganized and lazy management team everything is going down hill, slowly but surely. The only individual that cares seems to be the GM.

Advice to Management

Care a little more and your employees will follow. Don't stand around talking expecting everyone to do the opposite.

5. Server

Former Employee - Server in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Server in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Brio Tuscan Grille (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the menu, management, and co-workers. Customers were good for the most part. When you opened in the morning you would get minimum wage until you got your first table, which because of overstaffing could be a while.

Cons

Gratuity was removed do to the changing laws, so no matter what the circumstance no gratuity was required. Imagine a situation a where a group of obnoxious women take up your section for the entire night and very few tip or treat you with respect. Then you get an hour to 2 hours of side work afterward, along with tipping out almost 4 percent. You also only get $2.65 an hour while you are doing that side work.

Advice to Management

Staff a lean and strong staff so your servers can be successful, because anyone who has any skill will eventually go elsewhere.

6. Great management team

Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Brio Tuscan Grille full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very profitable with a great positive work environment .

Cons

I honestly can't say anything negative about the place

Advice to Management

No advice to management other than keep doing what you do to provide a great work place

7. The abundance of opportunity given is wonderful, as it has given me the chance to grow and learn.

Current Employee - Banquet Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Banquet Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff! Work hard and you can make great money. Food is phenomenal!

Cons

Rough start as a server. Hostesses don't do much, but some people like that. Hard to speak with management sometimes.

Advice to Management

Being more understanding of people's life situations. Things happen and when it affects your job, sometimes that's the only thing people have that's keeping them together.

8. eh.

Current Employee - Hostess in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Hostess in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized, decent money, delicious food

Cons

Not too many benefits, hostess stand is disgustingly hot outside, management sucks

Advice to Management

Less strict on the small things, theres bigger issues.

9. FOH Team Leader

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille full-time (More than a year)

Pros

family environment, good values, good training program, amazing food, beautiful decor

Cons

slow timeline for moving up

10. Woked here for four years.

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille

Pros

Great to work with, nice.

Cons

Crazy hours, like all restaurants.

11. A Family Style Workplace

I have been working at Brio Tuscan Grille full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can genuinely say I love coming to work at Brio most of the time. In the restaurant industry, there are a lot of stressful moments, and we all have THOSE days... and while at my Brio there always seems to be something amiss (missing glassware, silverware, not on the floorplan, etc.) the staff here is completely eager to work as a team to fix the issues at hand.

My GM is fantastic. One of the few I've ever had that commands authority and respect, but makes me feel comfortable to talk to him about any issues going on.

Brio is my life now. All my friends, even my significant other, I met at Brio. I love our staff and our guests and when you show a humble attitude and a dedication to the restaurant, management notices. I've seen several employees become managers, or start management training in the 8 months I've been employed.

Brio is an excellent company to work for if you are looking for a career in a restaurant. If you are open with them about your goals and put in the work, they are happy to help you move up in the company. What more could you ask for?

Cons

Of course there are cons, but most of the cons are particular to certain assistant managers, and not the company itself. Of course there is bound to be someone you wont gel with, and you will have that one customer who makes you question life itself, but there is only really one CON that i feel I must mention, in case corporate does check these things!!

The server assistant position is not worth the money it pays, whatsoever. It is the only position we have trouble filling and a high turnover rate for. This is because servers are only asked to tip out 1% of their sales, and this is never enforced. I've caught people trying to stiff me 5-10 dollars on numerous occasions. To make matters worse, if it's a busy night, you'll have to split that 1% with three other SA's which typically adds up to 5 an hour+ 30 in tips. The managers are all aware, but the corporate policy is a "suggested 1%" tip out, so they cannot force servers to fairly pay staff. I realize that the logic behind the policy is to encourage a greater tip out than 1% when the SA's go above and beyond, but this almost never happens, and is seriously abused. Also if the company hires a dishonest SA and they close... who's to say they aren't pocketing a little extra money that they were supposed to share?

Management does everything in their power to promote SA's with a strong work ethic and a good attitude fast, because they know it's not a sustainable income, but it typically doesn't come quickly enough, and most people quit. Obviously we need SA's so we cannot promote everyone, but if this is the case, something needs to change.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be to fix the SA situation. They could raise the tip out to 2-3%, or enforce a mandatory minimum of 1%, having managers collect the tip out at cash out. Another great thing I've seen work for other restaurants is to abolish the position entirely, and similarly to food running, rotate servers into the position in a fair way. This should encourage servers to tip properly, because they will understand how it feels to work a full 12 hours and get handed a fiver from a server walking away with 200 in their pocket.

Aside from that one issue,

RSS Feed </> Embed