Bristol-Myers Squibb

Bristol-Myers Squibb Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Bristol-Myers Squibb CEO & Director Lamberto Andreotti

Lamberto Andreotti

Pros
  • Significant work life balance opportunities with flexible hours or work location (in 68 reviews)

• Supportive work environment, emphasis on expanding skill set, caring matrix management (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance gets a lot of talk but they are not walking the walk (in 11 reviews)

• Very slow decision making by senior management (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a good company

Research Investigator II (Current Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsGood pay, culture is OK, senior leadship is great.

Consdecision making process is slow.

Great company, people, culture and work-life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, NJ

ProsGreat leadership, work-life balance, career opportunities

ConsPromotions take long time, not many vacation days

Good and Bad

ProsGreat co-workers. They're like another family and always a pleasure to be around them day in and day out

ConsLike many pharmaceuticals, they're out to buy small biotech companies which leads to lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a creative company again, make our own product

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Director (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIts a company that is ever changing becoming better year by year. Its got a strong steady strategy and unlike other companies that are trying to get bigger, BMS is trying to get smaller, more nimble, and get our specialized drugs to our patients faster. Our pipeline of drugs is inspiring and the work we do actually makes a difference in the lives of our patients and their families

ConsThere is constant change as we look to move faster and be better and sometimes this creates "change fatigue"

Advice to Senior ManagementPace yourself ... changing the company every 18 months internally does not always make us better for our patients. Spend the time with our customers vs. always looking inside for efficiencies

Temporary project

Chemist (Current Employee) Humacao, PR

ProsNice environment very professional. Regular employees have great benefits.

ConsTemporary employees can only work for two years maximum.

Very supportive and friendly environment that makes working a very relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Intern (Former Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsFriendly environment, great pay, great cafeteria, great gym, flexible hours (half days during the summer). Everyone working there has a great attitude and is very friendly. Easily the best company I've ever worked at or seen.

ConsDepartments aren't very close together and therefore give of feeling of isolation from other parts of the company. It's easy to stay in one building for months without moving around and seeing another.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great people to work with

Project Manager (Former Employee) Wallingford, CT

ProsCompensation packages are competitive.
    On site day-care with Bright Horizons is wonderful.
    Challenging work with great people.

ConsLimited upward mobility.
    Limited career change options (CT site).
    Recognition and advancement varies wildly between departments.
    Work-life balance gets a lot of talk but they are not walking the walk.

Good place to work

Research Scientist I (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsI like being in the environment with smart coworkers, well setup environment, good processes, high standards, good compensation packages, and good locations.

ConsI am a people person and I like team work. The company could be more social, build closer team together, company can encourage more cross-functional activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I would advise to do more employee surveys and really get deep into how to improve the company even more and keep the good tradition and name alive.

It's a job... and one I like, but the culture here needs revamping.

Clinical Protocol Manager (Current Employee) Wallingford, CT

ProsSome people are really great to work with, good bonus, flex-time, work from home options, small office environment, work rotations

ConsSome people are not so great to work with, not-so-great benefits, management that is not amendable to change, low salaries compared with other companies, high workload

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits, raise salaries to be more in line with other companies, balance workload better, get rid of line managers that haven't done anything in years, but stay because of longevity

It's an OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plainsboro, NJ

ProsSalaries are reasonable
    Paid time off is good
    Lots of areas for personal and professional development

ConsDepending on where you work, flexible work schedules are almost non-existent and you're not usually recognized for a job well done. I've noticed that management in my department are largely self serving and haven't had training to effectively manage those in their group (i.e. not very effective at communicating, reacting under pressure, or building relationships)

Advice to Senior ManagementLess hierarchy, more open/genuine communication and loyalty to those who work beneath you

Worked for Bristol-Myers Squibb? Contribute to the Community!