Bristol-Myers Squibb

Updated November 22, 2014
3.8

Bristol-Myers Squibb CEO & Director Lamberto Andreotti
Lamberto Andreotti

Pros
  • Significant work life balance opportunities with flexible hours or work location (in 77 reviews)

• Supportive work environment, emphasis on expanding skill set, caring matrix management (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance gets a lot of talk but they are not walking the walk (in 12 reviews)

• Very slow decision making by senior management (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok place to work

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb

Pros

Was a stable company to work for

Cons

Now everything isdone based upon metrics

Listen to reps to get a better understanding of market place

2000-2010 BMS was very much family oriented and respected their employees - that all changed in '11 and is now cutthroat

Former Employee - Medical Science Liaison in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Science Liaison in Denver, CO

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very talented people work at BMS and the skill sets are grown. Product development is superb!

Cons

They view you as of 2011 as a disposable commodity that can easily be replaced

Treat your employees with more respect

Significant changes, evolving structure

Former Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Significant work life balance opportunities with flexible hours or work location. Good product pipeline. Good , smart people - both those still at BMS as well as those no longer there. Many within organization want to really make a difference. Able to accomplish some significant innovation and results with strong matrix partnerships.

Cons

Over time, diminishing resources coupled with greater processes has increased work to accomplish same, or less. Notably, inclusion in presentations with management have become limited to a small handful or only one person from a team or organization. In past, there was greater inclusion and ability to present to sr leadership of the organization.

Very good working enviroment

Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Humacao, PR
    Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Humacao, PR

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Technological challenges, new opportunities, good management

Cons

Slow decision making, too many tribes, and a slow procurement department

Excellent company

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, good vacation, training, opportunities for advancement. I gained most of my career experience and knowledge at this company. Internal job postings and training provide plenty of opportunites, although they might not be in your own dept. There is a feeling that they truly value their employees.

Cons

Sometimes it seemed like it was more of who you know than what you know as far as promotions are concerned, but it was not the norm.

The NACC in Tampa is an awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

BMS offers a chance to help develop and deliver treatments for the most serious diseases. I appreciate having a direct line of sight between what I do and the patients we serve. The benefits are good, the people I work with in Tampa are great, and I'm really excited about the future of the company. The leadership team has come through on their promises and are a joy to work with.

Cons

Some of the business processes are rocking state of the art thinking from the 1990's. It can be difficult to get offsite people to collaborate on making the process better, and there seems to be particular push back on increasing visibility and accountability.

More training opportunities on the technical side would be nice. A lot of the existing training focuses on 'soft' skills.

Strong Pipeline, Good Compensation but lots of turmoil, turnover and politics.

Current Employee - Director in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Pipeline and Strategic Vision
    Decent compensation

Cons

Execution is difficult, lots of process and politics, need for extensive buy-in is cumbersome.
    Top Heavy - too many Chiefs not enough Indians
    Lots of restructuring going on to support Specialty Biopharma
    Layoffs, unpredictable work environment.
    Personal vendettas

Eager about acquiring outside talent, then sidelining them to maintain the status quo.
    Leadership changes and constant cleaning house of :"old regime" don't create an environment where it is safe or desirable to speak up.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - BI & Data Analysis Manager in Guaynabo, PR
    Current Employee - BI & Data Analysis Manager in Guaynabo, PR

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is one of the best places to work with excellent people, dynamic and creative coworkers and great place to grow inside the organization.

Cons

Being on a regulated pharmaceutical company, the industry in general in bureaucratic, slow pace in general and conservative in some cases but, among all the pharmaceutical companies, this has been the best place I have worked with which I'm extremely comfortable with everything.

I am very happy to be part of the Bristol-Myers Squibb community.

Current Employee - Co-Op in Pennington, NJ
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Pennington, NJ

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture and drive for innovation at Bristol-Myers Squibb is exceptional. The employees are very diverse and extremely helpful and kind.

Cons

Moving in between departments and establishing a career as a full-time employee comes with challenges, but is worth all of the work!

Keeping Bristol-Myers Squibb employees happy and satisfied is a great part of the culture here. This really helps the employees enjoy their work and drive for innovation in the company.

Sales representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional, very fair company. Give representatives a great deal of independence. Regular salary reviews and good bonuses. Small sized manageable territories

Cons

Hard to get to know people in company because it is so large

Create opportunities for employees to get to know each other.

Bristol-Myers Squibb Photos

Bristol-Myers Squibb (Photo thanks to Flickr user A-4 Nieuws.nl, available under by-sa v2.0)
A research office facility of Bristol-Myers Squibb, located in Lawrenceville, New Jersey (Photo attributed to Coolcaesar - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)

+ Add Photo