Bristol West Reviews

Robert D. Sadler

1. Great Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Bristol West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

C level employees really care about employees. Company is owned by Farmers Insurance so big company benefits but small company environment.

Cons

Some us/them attitudes between customer service cell center environment and other depts.

2. No room to grow/ horrible management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Bristol West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k matched at a 100% up to 6% of your yearly salary. Decent pay for tenured employees.

Cons

Horrible, unprofessional management. Certain employees are allowed to act and do what they want, while others are targeted and micromanaged. Scare tactics and borderline harassment from management

Advice to Management

Get rid of unqualified supervisors who only have their position because they were there prior to new requirements from Farmers. Show an ounce of concern for morale.

3. Decent first JOB

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Plano, TX

I worked at Bristol West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, great people and steady work.

Cons

The workload was way too much for one person. The phones are constantly backed up and it always seemed like I would never get caught up.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and distribute workloads evenly.

5. Helpdesk Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Bristol West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits were excellent Great HR programs Great people

Cons

A lot of the senior management moved to FL which made some things more challenging

Claims Representative

Pros

I have been employed with Bristol West Insurance Company that is owned by Farmers Insurance for three months and I really like my job. Bristol West is in the non-standard business of Insurance and we have some pretty interesting insured. The job is very fast-paced and required a lot multi-taking, but it is very manageable. The interview was hard in the sense that they ask you scenario questions, but if you have experience in claims or customer service, you will do good. The work atmosphere is great, there room to promote and the pay is very good.

Cons

Training was good, but I started getting too many claims right after training. It was hard to manage at first because i was still used to the claims system, but after a few weeks, I was able to manage my workload.

7. No room for advancement

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Bristol West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people, No weekends, hours 8:00 - 4:30

Cons

Claim Volume, Too many responsibilities, Turnover, No advancement opportunities , understaffing, Pay

Advice to Management

HIRE PEOPLE WHEN NEEDED!!

8. Excellent promotional opportunities

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Denver, CO

I worked at Bristol West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room to grow within the company

Cons

Heavy workload, acquisition by Farmers

Great place to learn (self learning). Not a great place to retire.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Plano, TX

I have been working at Bristol West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are for the most part great....if it wasn't for them I would give this company 2 stars. You can get a great education in claims as you handle so many states....not much training though. I would go work for State Farm, Farmers (connected to Bristol West), AllState, Liberty Mutual before Bristol West. BUT I would work for Bristol West before I would go to Sedgwick, Fred Loya, United Auto, Mercury, and more. Can wear jeans every day. Never actually see a customer and only work in the office. We typically have some fun a work and people are laid back...you have to be to work here and not get frustrated at times. PTO good.

Cons

Non-standard customers, handle multiple states, can have heavy claim load at times but this fluctuates, we always seem to be overstaffed and very busy..hmmmm. VERY limited training. They do not offer competitive pay considering the job at hand.

Advice to Management

Pay scale that is separate from Farmers. Bristol West employees handle more claims, more states, the entire claims process, with non-standard customers...Can I get a raise in here? No? Then yes the survey will say that I am looking for work elsewhere. If a few key people leave this office and/or more "good" adjusting jobs open up it will be a migration from this company. We have done great things. I don't want 25 wow points I want a pay raise otherwise why would I stay here. Why haven't I left? 1. Loyalty to the company 2. People that work here 3. NONE..thats it. The employees here will never REALLY get thanked other than a yearly pay raise. What is going to keep good, young, professionals working in this business? The answer: Nothing you have done so far, but you will keep hiring them young and build their resume for the next better company or one that will open up the check book.....kind of like a trampoline. On a side note I really appreciate what I have learned her. If you have given me anything it is an education and a stunning resume that hopefully will benefit me later on in life. I would be willing to continue working here if some changes were made to my salary if not I will be leaving once everyone else does for more money. Hope you guys are listening...I know you guys will not act until you have to (like 10 people leave at once or something extreme) but I wish you would think outside the box and make this company great.

Incompetence rules the day...as usual

Former Employee - Field Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Field Claims Representative

I worked at Bristol West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary. Benefits were ok, I guess.

Cons

Bristol is Farmer's non-standard brand. While management talks a great game, that's all it is... talk. Like Farmer's, Bristol is metrics heavy. They say they're not, but they are. At the end of the day, the customer is the auditor, not the policy holder or claimant. Management proved to be exceedingly two-faced. They'd say one thing, then turn around and do something completely different. This happened constantly. Claims handling policies and procedures was a joke. It was like they were children, wildly flailing about trying to find something that worked. Was a joke. Glad I quit.

Advice to Management

Terminate your front line supervisors and managers. They're not very good. Hire people who actually understand claims handling...

11. Best job ever

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I worked at Bristol West full-time

Pros

Small company with specialized positions. Competitive pay.

Cons

High workload, high turnover rate but that's expected for an insurance company.

Advice to Management

Should never have sold

RSS Feed </> Embed