British American Tobacco

British American Tobacco Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

British American Tobacco CEO and Director Nicandro Durante

Nicandro Durante

Pros:
  • "Great link performance - pay, attractive bonus, great work life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "supportive working environment, like minded professionals, always learning"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work-life balance or compensation for extra-hours work"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Not so many mid/senior management roles, compared to the number of skilled lower management employees"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rat race and nothing more

Marketing Planning and Information Manager (Former Employee)
    Warsaw (Poland)

ProsJob experience that can prepare you for the cruel life reality.

ConsOnly one quality has been considered for a right one, political correctness, keep your mouth shut and if asked always say what is expected to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of doing everything to keep your chair consider to really change something or implement solutions to ensure company growth in a shrinking market.

Hoped for more from a transnational company

Sales and Trade Representative (Former Employee)
    Chisinau (Moldova)

ProsSales training, company vehicle

ConsStain in your CV (smoking is a choice of the client, but selling tobacco is earning on people's dependence) Very competitive atmosphere, it seems to be created on purposey to separate the employees and manipulate them. Very non-friendly. With the same money I can work at another company. But BAT like would make me a favor if I work there and receive money money from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck the office managers of the Chisinau.

Politics all the way

IT Professional (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLarge Company, pretending to be implementing large global projects.

ConsQuite low level of skills in IT and its management, most plucked from shop-floor just to avoid redundancies. Intolerant of knowledgeable IT professionals. Few departments full of gangs of fake IT consultants with fake experience, working as freelancers and milking money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as you can bribe the government and sell overpriced poison, you know you have to just pretend that your IT systems matter. In reality you will just do fine without an IT system.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would never ever work again there or recommend working there to any of my friends.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is ok for the type of work I was doing and the workload was very low. Management is very laid back and doesn't control much of your work unless there is trouble.

ConsThe department I was working in was a chaos. No structure, outdated policies, the management doesn't know the answer to any of your question and just suggests you to do whatever you think is right. And we are talking about procurement, the department where every single case should be treated with special diligence and attention as there is a high risk of corruption and all other types of breach as you're exposed to making decisions related to bids, contract awards and money, in general. Other than that, I've been 'lucky' to have a manager who knew nothing about the procurement and what he was dealing with, who didn't set correct goals and responsibilities from the beginning and then took a 'blame' position which wasn't based on facts, but rather on the rumors and other people's opinions. Head of HR department wasn't any better. Highly unprofessional and inadequate. I was very lucky to get out of there.

Great company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, career opportunities offered to ambitious people, reasonable to great compensation, great people around wherever you go in terms of location or department

ConsPolitics seem to be more important than anything, stakeholder management takes lots of time and slows decisions, the good part of it is the democratic aspect everybody knows and agrees, the downside is that sometimes is exageratted and overrated in disfavour of results

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up decisional process by trusting and empoweringnpeople in a genuine way

The most horrible working experience of my life

Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lagos (Nigeria)

ProsGood Friends and colleagues which i can never forget

Consbad management and lack of respect for individual values and culture
    also political manipulation in terms of job placements

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is a key word when it comes to BAT, most of the management of certain departments should be changed before you lose all your raw and young talents

Highly political, useless decision making process, long working hours

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Seoul (South Korea)

ProsGood benefit - car and gas
    Opportunity for a promotion at junior level

ConsIndustry declining
    Social pressure
    Too many expats
    Only political people get promoted
    No delegation and empowerment
    Very long working hours including meetings in the evenings
    Expats pay no respect to the local people, only care about their bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't abuse local employees any more. They are not working machines.

Management Lacks Leadership.

ProsCompany culture, decent salaries and bonuses, good place to work.

ConsMiddle and Senior management are not interested in developing their people, although it seems that learning and development culture is written all over....
    They are not leaders for their subordinates and they gain "respect" by having a certain grade. Promotions are based on how well you are getting along with your manager, how many hours you are spending at work and how many times you go out for a drink. There is a talent management process in place, but no one takes this into account when there is a vacancy.
    If you have a different opinion, or if you contradict your manager, you have an attitude which affects your rating, although "strength from diversity" and "open minded" are stated as being core values of the company. Sometimes even yelling or bullying are used.
    Micromanagement is also shown at high levels. Some people are since forever in some positions, blocking roles and not bringing value any more. Many of these people, although they are not performing, are "covered" by their managers.
    There is not enough clarity in the tasks, sometimes because the managers have no idea what they want or they haven't checked understanding. Also, you can find yourself working on a project that is being done by someone else in the same time.
    There is an employee survey in the company but you are just asked for a feedback every 2 years, then nothing happens...

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus also on people management abilities of your senior and middle managers and not only on results that are usually brought by the teams that are in their subordination. Make sure that your managers are leaders and they are growing people and not only using them to get you the results. If you have lots of processes and surveys in place make sure that HR uses them in the right way.

70% politics/"stakeholder management", 30% skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- competitive benefits
    - matrix organization - so most work is cross-functional
    - many people with unique personality, the culture is quite similar across different market
    - great friday bars
    - a lot of opportunities for cross functional exposure and career progression

Cons- easily find yourself drowned in politics, to the point where it compromises efficiency and effectiveness of work.
    - very slow at decision making - innovation works take forever
    - short-term oriented (very...)

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know that it's a challenging industry, but operating in a business model which sole aim is to keep the stock market up in the short run really take the fun out of the business. Start investing more on tobacco alternatives (beyond e-cigarettes) and get it out faster in the market. That way, investor can start to look at the potential future of this industry and probably will start to see BAT stock as a long term investment, instead of just quick gains like it is now...

Great place if you want to have a easy job with good work life balance.

Trade Activation Executive (Current Employee)
    Copenhagen (Denmark)

ProsHigh salary
    good international possibilities
    introduced a new strategy that might change something there
    Extremely easy job. You do not work that hard.

ConsVery low or non-existing moral among employees
    you need to work 6 years before you get promoted.
    you need to know the right people in order to get a promotion
    very operational. No skill-set is really needed.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it easier for people to move up

Worked for British American Tobacco? Contribute to the Community!

British American Tobacco – Why Work for Us?

We are a leading tobacco group, with brands sold in around 180 markets. With more than 200 brands in our portfolio, we make the cigarette chosen by one in eight of the world’s one billion adult smokers. We hold robust… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at British American Tobacco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for British American Tobacco CEO Nicandro Durante. All 192 reviews posted anonymously by British American Tobacco employees.