British Gas

Updated Apr 15, 2014

British Gas CEO Sam Laidlaw

Sam Laidlaw

Excellent Workplace

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at British Gas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-life balance is taken care off, Good work culture, Excellent perks and benefits, goo opportunities to develop and enhance skills.

ConsTraining and development budgets are low

Hostile

Credit Risk Analyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at British Gas

ProsGood Benefits compared to other companies.

ConsBad leadership in the Finance Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair

The Salary Is The Only Thing Keeping Me Here!

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee)
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at British Gas full-time for more than a year

ProsGood rates of pay.
Office hours 08:00 - 20:00 (no late nights)
Free fruit.

ConsAppalling middle management.
Very poor support for staff.
No progression route for talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been working for British Gas for about a year. What can I say, I am continuously looking for another job which offers a similar rate of pay. To be honest, from speaking to many of the staff, this is the only reason they are still at the company.

The hierarchy is appalling. Team mangers get to control your fate, meaning unless you are friends with them you shall get nowhere. This can been seen with the lack of staff reviews, no employee will have to chance to review their manager or the company at any stage of their career at British Gas. Those who have progressed have a very close relationship with their team leader (who helped their progression).

The culture is terrible, each department making it their sole responsibility to clash with others and the company as a whole is only driven by profits. Those who are fed the flack of the company about how they are looking after the people of Britain are misguided. My only hope is that the Government Nationalize this company where the staff can become civil servants and we can finally actually look to serve the British public and not chase after PROFITS! PROFITS! PROFITS!

Challenging but fun

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at British Gas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe team atmosphere is great

ConsNo downsides that I experienced

As terrible to work for as they are as your supplier

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
Oldbury, West Midlands, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at British Gas full-time for less than a year

ProsNear my home, and far enough away that I don't have to look at the place!

ConsKnow all, know nothing people with awful telephone manners.
Pathetic training and an Office infested with nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe churn of staff is down to YOU.

Innovation and constant improvement, customer orientated

I have been working at British Gas

ProsOpportunities to learn and do new things available, highly skilled people to work with, encouragement company wide to develop personally and professionally - with lots of opportunities to take part in development workshops, training and courses.

ConsNot as many vacancies as there used to be few years ago. Less choice and more competition for now.

Deceived with the idea of career progression... Alas, never to happen!

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at British Gas full-time for more than a year

ProsSome good, professional staff within the business, though they soon realize they are a minority, and move on. Good team work out in the field between engineers, who look out for each other, and make sure customers' appointments are met and the job gets completed.

ConsToo many middle-managers who are out of their depth, and in some cases don't understand the remits of managerial roles, nor prepared to look out for engineers or meet customers' expectations, whilst also only looking after their own objectives.
Far too much micro-management, to a paranoiac level, which leads to an environment of dis-trust between the engineers getting the job completed and management sitting in offices keeping each others seats warm.
The company currently relies on an archaic I.T. system, which would not be out of place from the early 80's, really should be confined to a technology museum, rather than be relied on for a 24/7/365 business, whilst the telephony system could really do with an upgrade.

Deceitful H.R. who in turn do not understand basic business procedures, or how to pay staff in full and on-time.

Hired on the pretence, that there would be scope to move on, or progress through the company, yet having applied for numerous roles for varying departments, was never given the time of day, nor offered an interview to show how I could benefit the company in other areas.

If you are looking at joining this company as an apprentice or hands-on engineering role, then you could do better representing a competitor or contractor within the same role, pay-structures do not compare, whilst anywhere else would be less stressful to represent day in- day out.
Also, beware if you are looking at any of their positions offering 'on-the-job' or 'in-house' training, as these are sometimes fulfilled by in-field engineers from other departments, than the job skill they are seconded to train, whilst also incorporating some kind of training bond payback scheme that will most likely tie you in for a period of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback once you have asked for it, and put the business's four main objectives, before your own personal goals.

Incompetent middle management - Wasted talent

I have been working at British Gas

ProsExcellent salary range for roles, flexible benefits, good work ethic

ConsStressful, lack of progression, poor management at all levels, "who you know, not what you know"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop culture of rewarding failure, revamp management standards, spend more time with middle management rather than trying to be hands on

Excessively hierarchical with little regard for staff happiness

Insight (Former Employee)
Staines, England (UK)

I worked at British Gas full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, some great people within the company

ConsStifling structure for staff. No room for innovation. Astonishing amount of middle management in meetings all day, contributing nothing. You could genuinely remove 30% of office staff at that level and nothing would happen. Younger talent tends to leave within a couple of years, as there is little career progression and need to leave to get their market rate. I was asked to do a job two levels above my pay grade for over a year, with the promise of it being "with HR". I subsequently left for a role which paid the market rate, at nearly double the salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut away the middle management lifers, who resist change, and bring in talent with the ability to innovate. Reward current staff instead of hiring externally for greater salaries.

British gas is one of the worst customer-centered profit making companies in the UK

Director of External Partners Relations (Former Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at British Gas full-time for less than a year

Prosgood brand for CV in this crowded market

Consno career planing, management style very rigid

Advice to Senior Managementbe more outward focused and aslo break the cartel

Worked for British Gas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at British Gas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for British Gas CEO Sam Laidlaw. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by British Gas employees.