British Gas

British Gas Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Chris Weston

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

ProsVery supportive of staff and get the best out of their employees

ConsBad public perception of the company (unfounded)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make it less political, internally and externally

Bg

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsTime, no weekends, base salary

ConsCommission, fsa approved, boring, complaints

Advice to Senior ManagementSales need rewarded

Stressful

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
    Leicester, England (UK)

ProsI miss the voucher scheme and some of the peple I worked with the most

ConsConstant changes to the way we work. When we seem to have just got it right it all changes again

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many things have gone off shore and staff are treated worse than children. I never had depression until I worked at BGB and I fully understand why customers are constantly frustrated as their simple issues are not dealt with sufficiently

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very clicky if you face doesn't fit you are out. Too many jobs going abroad.

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
    Leicester, England (UK)

Prosvouchers, office culture, local, some good knowledge if allowed to learn in the area. Team camaraderie. special events such as football, christmas tree, CNID and other charity events.

Consconstant upping of targets and the constant threat of redundancy due to jobs going abroad. If the agent wants to learn in a particular area they should be encouraged rather than thwarted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry investing in the people you have, doing a good job rather than a rushed and probably incorrect one due to targets. people passing the buck because they don't have the time to deal with the customer. Customer service is key and you need to be properly trained not being constantly moved in different areas. You need known specialists in the areas that people can go to to help solve their queries for the customer.

love the people and my job

Prosthe people of course !!! I have made some great friends and i have had excellent support thru a bereavement

Consnon really, canteen needs changed

Advice to Senior Managementnew canteen company, same old same old since i started 13 years ago, so boring when ur there 9.15 hours a day. great support when necessary great work-life balance

too much stress

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) (Current Employee)
    Newcastle, England (UK)

Prostools and van are good

Consto much work badly planned to many changes

Advice to Senior Managementmore training and personal growth

One brilliant year

Electrician (Current Employee)
    Southport, England (UK)

ProsCompany benefits, the growth of new and initiative new products and meeting new people daily.

ConsSometimes can be overloaded with work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe understanding that engineers are under a lot of pressure

An overall positive experience

SPCo\R (Former Employee)
    Staines, England (UK)

ProsOne of the greatest aspects of working for British Gas \ Centrica is the colleagues that you work with, the team is a tremendous group of professionals.
    The other superb aspect is the company's willingness to train and retain staff by offering great career paths to encourage professional growth.

ConsPublic perception of the company is low, and therefore you will be blamed for everyone's latest Gas\Electricity bill.
    Understanding the group and peoples positions can be difficult until you have been in the team for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust staff more, empower them more to resolve customers issues.

Secure job, amazing people, stressful at times, but rewarding.

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe office I work in has lots of different people working there, loads of mixed cultures and great facilities staff. My department is very hectic, but the people support each other, and the management support the lower staff as they should, I myself being supported for medical conditions out of my control. I find the overall feeling of the office to be busy, but calm at the same time. It feels like the staff have control, even when it's clear they don't. The company prides itself on customer excellence, and this reflects throughout the departments as we all strive to achieve one goal.

ConsSome times I see people being let down with a distinct lack of support. I am quite experienced at my job, so I can cope without my work partner, but it is VERY stressful when you are faced with working alone, especially in a high stress department like mine. I have been there, and am currently working alone due to staffing levels. The training can also be sometimes tedious, pointless, unnecessary or non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the basics, and the rest will look after itself. I see a lot of policies coming up the pipeline, with a lot of technological advancements in metering, but we currently struggle with what we already have. Slow down, take a breather, there's no rush to capture the market - it's already ours.

Good Employer, Pretty Decent Customer Service, Questionable Corporate Responsiblility

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThey look after their workers pretty well, and invest in their development. Better pay and conditions than most equivalent jobs.

ConsThere is a real culture of cronyism, and it can be difficult to justify working for a hugely profitable utility.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to fool the public that the company believes in helping people more than profit, no-one's falling for it. Those who believe utilities shouldn't make profits will never accept it. BG is a huge, important, profit-making, tax-paying, future investing commercial business. Be honest and proud.

Worked for British Gas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at British Gas reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for British Gas CEO Chris Weston. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by British Gas employees.