British Gas

www.britishgasjobs.co.uk

British Gas Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Chris Weston

Pros
  • Great work culture, Excellent work life balance, Employee wellbeing(in 4 reviews)

• Great Pay, Good Benefits, Well Known Company, Great People(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Astonishing amount of middle management in meetings all day, contributing nothing(in 6 reviews)

• Impossible to get promoted on merit unless you 'brown nose' senior management(in 4 reviews)

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great staff, lack of manpower causes issues.

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) Rotherham, England (UK)

ProsWithin the office the staff are brilliant. They're a group that make work a enjoyable environment, busy or quiet. The management are generally understanding and will do everything in their power to ensure their team's are happy. My manager in particular, Sara Gomersall, is very much a 'people person' and works tirelessly to achieve a fantastic team spirit.

90% of the customers ONLY want somebody to take ownership of their problem rather than passing it over to somebody else to deal with. Knowing I'm the person that can solve their problem and retain a customer (who leaves the phone happy) - especially after they've been 'around the houses' - is very satisfying.

I work on Customer Support as every customer should have somebody who cares on the other end of the phone. Putting myself in the customer's shoes and resolving their issues is what I work for.

ConsThe lack of manpower within our team and other teams around the office causes 99% of the issue. Not having the time to complete a query 'there and then' causes nearly all of the upset amongst customers - making British Gas and the Customer Support Advisor (my position) - feeling like the customer hasn't been handled to the standard we personally like to set. (Personal opinion)

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into staffing issues. With changes BGB are considering making at the moment; if they're serious then the right manpower needs to back this up.

ALL OR NOTHING

treating customers in a way i wanted to be treated was fantastic as an engineer

Gas Engineer (Current Employee) Scarborough, England (UK)

Prosthe benefits of being out on the road and meeting new people each day was rewarding. Meeting and helping OAP's who would have struggled with no heat or hot water was a nice feeling

ConsWork life balance is always going to be a challenge in this job because of the hectic schedule. Managers who dont understand the work involved will always put a downer on things but the way to think about it, is to remember that i am more qualified than them and i will be here longer!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the customer

stress and pressure

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

Prosfull paid training, and all the latest tools and equipment. salary is pretty good especially when bumped with all the overtime and callout and bonus

Constoo much pressure, unrealistic expectations of job duration means often a high workload and travel time seems to be ignored. trying to make salesmen out of engineers. low staff numbers means on call happens too often

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) Leicester, England (UK)

ProsI miss the voucher scheme and some of the peple I worked with the most

ConsConstant changes to the way we work. When we seem to have just got it right it all changes again

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many things have gone off shore and staff are treated worse than children. I never had depression until I worked at BGB and I fully understand why customers are constantly frustrated as their simple issues are not dealt with sufficiently

Great company to work for

ProsVery supportive of staff and get the best out of their employees

ConsBad public perception of the company (unfounded)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make it less political, internally and externally

love the people and my job

Prosthe people of course !!! I have made some great friends and i have had excellent support thru a bereavement

Consnon really, canteen needs changed

Advice to Senior Managementnew canteen company, same old same old since i started 13 years ago, so boring when ur there 9.15 hours a day. great support when necessary great work-life balance

One brilliant year

Electrician (Current Employee) Southport, England (UK)

ProsCompany benefits, the growth of new and initiative new products and meeting new people daily.

ConsSometimes can be overloaded with work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe understanding that engineers are under a lot of pressure

An overall positive experience

SPCo\R (Former Employee) Staines, England (UK)

ProsOne of the greatest aspects of working for British Gas \ Centrica is the colleagues that you work with, the team is a tremendous group of professionals.
    The other superb aspect is the company's willingness to train and retain staff by offering great career paths to encourage professional growth.

ConsPublic perception of the company is low, and therefore you will be blamed for everyone's latest Gas\Electricity bill.
    Understanding the group and peoples positions can be difficult until you have been in the team for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust staff more, empower them more to resolve customers issues.

Secure job, amazing people, stressful at times, but rewarding.

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe office I work in has lots of different people working there, loads of mixed cultures and great facilities staff. My department is very hectic, but the people support each other, and the management support the lower staff as they should, I myself being supported for medical conditions out of my control. I find the overall feeling of the office to be busy, but calm at the same time. It feels like the staff have control, even when it's clear they don't. The company prides itself on customer excellence, and this reflects throughout the departments as we all strive to achieve one goal.

ConsSome times I see people being let down with a distinct lack of support. I am quite experienced at my job, so I can cope without my work partner, but it is VERY stressful when you are faced with working alone, especially in a high stress department like mine. I have been there, and am currently working alone due to staffing levels. The training can also be sometimes tedious, pointless, unnecessary or non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the basics, and the rest will look after itself. I see a lot of policies coming up the pipeline, with a lot of technological advancements in metering, but we currently struggle with what we already have. Slow down, take a breather, there's no rush to capture the market - it's already ours.

Excellent top company to work for

Debt Consultant (Current Employee) Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

ProsYou have Job Security, Management listen too you and implement your thoughts and ideas. You also have the ability to further your career path within the same company

ConsYou can become just a number, Managers do seem to be more figure driven instead of looking at workers main problems

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your staff

Worked for British Gas? Contribute to the Community!