www.redcross.org.uk

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
3.8

Nicholas Young

Friendly environment and great team

Current Employee - Volunteer in Blyth, North East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Blyth, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Volunteer role
    No pressure with targets

Cons

No pay
    Some challenging co workers

Consider training for actual employment

My experience is a beneficiary and worker

Current Employee - Volunteer Ambulance Crew in Crewe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Volunteer Ambulance Crew in Crewe, England (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great training, and experience of tutors and the events we go to.

Cons

lots of duties not enough volunteers.....

Great place to do voluntary work

Current Employee - Retail Assistant - Lead Volunteer in Moreton, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly company where it is easy to talk to the mangers.
    Many opportunities for personal growth.
    Encouraged to put your ideas across, they treat you like and adult
    Make friends and learn to take an interest in the local community. People are grateful for the work you do

Cons

Needs to work on promoting its "at home" work and less on the foreign aid
    People in high positions do not normally have operational experience & make decisions that are unpractical to apply in the field

There is always something else to be done!

Current Employee - Ambulance Crew/Volunteer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Ambulance Crew/Volunteer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training opporunities for volunteers. Especially for those going down the Event First Aid route who can now achieve an Ed Excel qualification.
    Equipment when available is always in working order and at a good level of maintenance.

Cons

There is no such thing as 'local policy' however areas are full of it. It's frustrating to do shifts elsewhere only to find that they do things totally differently. e.g. wearing 'Ambulance Crew' slides, there are different opinions as to who should wear them and when.
    For volunteers it can be difficult to progress as it seems to be the same faces over and over who get the opportunities.
    Frustratingly the people making decisions either don't know what they are talking about or aren't in touch with the volunteers.

Ensure a more uniformed approach and truly get rid of 'local policy'

The British Red Cross are Humanitarians

Former Employee - Volunteer First Aid Instructor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer First Aid Instructor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at British Red Cross as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

They are a group of volunteers ( which I was one of, they weren't my employer) who love to help others by using their skills in disaster relief and teaching people first aid and cpr.

Cons

The group is disorganized from the top which trickles down to each chapter. However, this isn't limited to just the British Red Cross I have seen this disorganization in the American Red Cross as well.

I believe that the British Red Cross could benefit from looking at the organization as a whole more as a business with the compassion of a volunteer humanitarian organization. This can be achieved but it has to be a collective goal. I believe by doing this there would be better volunteer retention, less upheaval on a regular basis and better distribution of donations throughout.

Terrible staff management, rife with nepotism, favouritism and cliques.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping the service users is the main pro for work for the BRC. Mostly, you genuinely assist people, and they are happy about it.

Cons

In my area (Wales), the Red Cross is plagued with awful middle management. The more senior managers are at least average, and some are excellent, but they are managing and army of various managers and leaders of different types, most of whom are average at best, and many of whom are actively destructive to recruiting volunteers, a vital part of the Red Cross' work, and one of the International Committee of the Red Cross/Crescent's core values. Managers in wales frequent recruit their friends, family, and favourites to as volunteers, and then assign them roles that others have been working hard towards for some time. The work has become more corporately driven, and the charity now seeks contracts more than it seeks opportunities to help people.

Upper management in my area would do well to stringently assess middle management, and selectively dimiss some and retrain others. A period of close scrutiny on activities would be useful, to help pick out immoral activities.

Assessing each manager for ties with other members, and making managers declare vested interests like this would be advantageous.

Middle managers need to stop forming sexual relationships with lower level employees and then behaving unprofessionally as regards the handling of these members.

11 great years working for Red Cross

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Pembroke Dock, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Pembroke Dock, Wales (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

blessed with great line managers, very fair to work for, lots of training opportunities, feel trusted and valued,

Cons

I have not any chance of promotion as a retail manager in 11 years, low pay within retail, the equivalent managers in Services earn a heck of a lot more, it could , if you let it, make you very dissatisfied,

keep your eye on the grass roots,

Good organisation

I have been working at British Red Cross

Pros

Humanitarian organisation that helps people whoever and wherever they are

Cons

Low salary, not many career prospects

Fantastic Organisation but not if you're an employee!

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Red Cross/Crescent does great work around the world. Some great & caring people on the 'shop floor'. Generous annual leave allowance.

Cons

Flawed management who appear to have forgotten what the organisation exists for, sorry to say too many egos and politics. Not every manager but too many that hold the organisation back. Pay is poor even for the charity sector. Too little done to retain staff which hurts the organisation more, the turnover rate is well above the national average.

Less civil service type mentality and empire building and more openness, allow your employees room for innovation and growth. Your staff are no less important than the beneficiaries of the Red Cross services.

It sucks you in and it's very hard to leave

Current Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at British Red Cross part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is such a friendly, welcoming organisation with so many opportunities to get involved and so much you can learn and use in other aspects of life. All of its work is so important and with its strong history and principles, I am really proud to be part of the movement and of the work it does, and I always wish I could do more. It is getting much more recognition as an auxiliary emergency service, and is getting more influential in youth and education.

Cons

Like with any big organisation, organisation and management is an issue, more so before than now (it is definitely getting better!). Training has been a bit haphazard, and some volunteers/staff are not in it for the right reasons. It doesn't publicise itself very well or distinguish itself and its governance from other National Societies, so that it does't sell its good work and everything as well as it could. It still needs to work on promoting its "at home" work and less on the foreign aid.

Although getting better, it is important to ensure young people are involved at all levels of governance and policy setting, especially as they are such a large proportion of your 'workforce'; get them involved in funding applications and setting up partnerships and projects as well. Show how red cross gets involved in crises at home, but through viral youtube clips that can be tweeted and facebooked as well, such as show red cross at the london bombings (or a made up scenario event as an exercise), a house fire and the FESS outside, working with fire services, teaching young mums to save their baby and the next day one of those mums saving someone's baby's life - these can hit home to people and show the breadth of what we do in real life scenarios, and maybe include how much it takes/costs to complete each of the above, for example, to show them it is not a simple/cheap service. The tesco ad even still gives me goosebumps and was just an amazing advert, a variety of mini-ones of those would be invaluable.

British Red Cross Photos