British Red Cross

www.redcross.org.uk

British Red Cross Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Nicholas Young

My experience is a beneficiary and worker

Volunteer Ambulance Crew (Current Employee) Crewe, England (UK)

Prosgreat training, and experience of tutors and the events we go to.

Conslots of duties not enough volunteers.....

Great place to do voluntary work

Retail Assistant - Lead Volunteer (Current Employee) Moreton, North West England, England (UK)

ProsFriendly company where it is easy to talk to the mangers.
    Many opportunities for personal growth.
    Encouraged to put your ideas across, they treat you like and adult
    Make friends and learn to take an interest in the local community. People are grateful for the work you do

ConsNeeds to work on promoting its "at home" work and less on the foreign aid
    People in high positions do not normally have operational experience & make decisions that are unpractical to apply in the field

There is always something else to be done!

Ambulance Crew/Volunteer (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat training opporunities for volunteers. Especially for those going down the Event First Aid route who can now achieve an Ed Excel qualification.
    Equipment when available is always in working order and at a good level of maintenance.

ConsThere is no such thing as 'local policy' however areas are full of it. It's frustrating to do shifts elsewhere only to find that they do things totally differently. e.g. wearing 'Ambulance Crew' slides, there are different opinions as to who should wear them and when.
    For volunteers it can be difficult to progress as it seems to be the same faces over and over who get the opportunities.
    Frustratingly the people making decisions either don't know what they are talking about or aren't in touch with the volunteers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure a more uniformed approach and truly get rid of 'local policy'

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The British Red Cross are Humanitarians

Volunteer First Aid Instructor (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThey are a group of volunteers ( which I was one of, they weren't my employer) who love to help others by using their skills in disaster relief and teaching people first aid and cpr.

ConsThe group is disorganized from the top which trickles down to each chapter. However, this isn't limited to just the British Red Cross I have seen this disorganization in the American Red Cross as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that the British Red Cross could benefit from looking at the organization as a whole more as a business with the compassion of a volunteer humanitarian organization. This can be achieved but it has to be a collective goal. I believe by doing this there would be better volunteer retention, less upheaval on a regular basis and better distribution of donations throughout.

11 great years working for Red Cross

Shop Manager (Current Employee) Pembroke Dock, Wales (UK)

Prosblessed with great line managers, very fair to work for, lots of training opportunities, feel trusted and valued,

ConsI have not any chance of promotion as a retail manager in 11 years, low pay within retail, the equivalent managers in Services earn a heck of a lot more, it could , if you let it, make you very dissatisfied,

Advice to Senior Managementkeep your eye on the grass roots,

Good organisation

ProsHumanitarian organisation that helps people whoever and wherever they are

ConsLow salary, not many career prospects

Fantastic Organisation but not if you're an employee!

Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe Red Cross/Crescent does great work around the world. Some great & caring people on the 'shop floor'. Generous annual leave allowance.

ConsFlawed management who appear to have forgotten what the organisation exists for, sorry to say too many egos and politics. Not every manager but too many that hold the organisation back. Pay is poor even for the charity sector. Too little done to retain staff which hurts the organisation more, the turnover rate is well above the national average.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess civil service type mentality and empire building and more openness, allow your employees room for innovation and growth. Your staff are no less important than the beneficiaries of the Red Cross services.

It sucks you in and it's very hard to leave

Volunteer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is such a friendly, welcoming organisation with so many opportunities to get involved and so much you can learn and use in other aspects of life. All of its work is so important and with its strong history and principles, I am really proud to be part of the movement and of the work it does, and I always wish I could do more. It is getting much more recognition as an auxiliary emergency service, and is getting more influential in youth and education.

ConsLike with any big organisation, organisation and management is an issue, more so before than now (it is definitely getting better!). Training has been a bit haphazard, and some volunteers/staff are not in it for the right reasons. It doesn't publicise itself very well or distinguish itself and its governance from other National Societies, so that it does't sell its good work and everything as well as it could. It still needs to work on promoting its "at home" work and less on the foreign aid.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough getting better, it is important to ensure young people are involved at all levels of governance and policy setting, especially as they are such a large proportion of your 'workforce'; get them involved in funding applications and setting up partnerships and projects as well. Show how red cross gets involved in crises at home, but through viral youtube clips that can be tweeted and facebooked as well, such as show red cross at the london bombings (or a made up scenario event as an exercise), a house fire and the FESS outside, working with fire services, teaching young mums to save their baby and the next day one of those mums saving someone's baby's life - these can hit home to people and show the breadth of what we do in real life scenarios, and maybe include how much it takes/costs to complete each of the above, for example, to show them it is not a simple/cheap service. The tesco ad even still gives me goosebumps and was just an amazing advert, a variety of mini-ones of those would be invaluable.

Rewarding & fun

Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsIts a very well recognized organization world wide, I have worked for different National Societies and the best part is that every country works differently because is always led by the needs of the people. Set aside its flexibility, its great because it is supported by a great network of human and material resources, and all that comes from the good will of people! 90% or our job is done by volunteers, so its amazing to be the conductor of so much energy, knowledge & humanity

ConsIts so big... sometimes the right hand does not know what the left one is doing!
    There is a very complicated structure so its hard to know who to go to if you have a question or is easy "to re-invent the wheel" unnecessarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you plan changes and make a consultation, listen to the people actually doing the job and not what "experts" advice.
    See how other National Societies deal with issues.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Fundraiser (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFor a long time working for the British Red Cross gave me an enormous sense of wellbeing in terms f making a genuine and lasting difference during this time on the planet.

ConsSadly I lost my faith in the charity as it got more and more corporate based. When I discovered it was corporate partners with morally defunct organisations like GlaxoSmithKline, Nestle and Tesco I lost my faith fully.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut ethics first.

Worked for British Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!