Broad Street Marketing

Updated November 28, 2014
Updated November 28, 2014
2.8

Cory Sholl

Best training I've received in a new job

Current Employee - Client Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Broad Street Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Broad Street Marketing has a management training program that consists of step by step processes that gradually work you into their system. The system has been proven to work and worked well with me after time. My coworkers are great too!

Cons

I didn't pick up the training as quickly as I wanted to but with the help of my trainers and managers I eventually got the hang of it.

Broad Street Marketing?...more like poopie marketing..

I worked at Broad Street Marketing

Pros

There aren't any. . . except laughing every time I reminisce about that long, hot, God awful day. .

Cons

You have to walk from business to try and sell energy. Its a scam. Each business owner would scream at us to get the hell out of their stores or they would ignore us (SO FUNNY!!). The guys at the "office" were all in cheap suits and acted like they were millionaires. . maybe buy a nicer suit and you can fool people into thinking you have taste. It was real fun walking around in the heat while in a white trash neighborhood where the population cannot even spell energy let alone purchase it. I had swamp butt for a week after that day because the girl I was shadowing had a crappy car so we just sat and sweat. . what a freaking nightmare. I actually feel bad for the employees, please find a better job. . That was probably one of the worst days of my life.
    If I could rate this company with only 1/2 a start, I would.

You really need to quit your day job and find a new one. . driving a school bus is more lucrative and exciting.

RUN!!!!! FAR AWAY!!!!!

I worked at Broad Street Marketing (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this job, it is a total scam. I interviewed for this so called "client coordinator/account executive/corporate drone position and it was a complete waste of time. During my interview process in May, I was looking to get out of my former job as a paralegal so I applied for this job online. The next day (red flag), this girl called me to offer me a first round interview. I asked about the job and the salary and she stated it was between $36k and 42k. So I took an hour off of work to show up for the interview and this guy Cory, apparently a manager, interviewed me. He talked and talked about how in 3 months I could be running my own office and that they are very very selective lol. Okay.....So later on that day he called me for a second round interview. I had to take a full day off of work for this working interview so I thought, okay maybe they are very selective and this job will be worth it. Read below to the con section for my continued story about this nightmare that I endured.

Cons

I showed up for this second interview and five other people were there to interview for the same position....awkward....But anyways we all sat silently in the "lobby" (or giant room with a tiny ikea desk and four chairs against a wall) and waited for our name to be called to go shadow with the current employees. My name was called and I was paired with two guys who were very talkative and acted like the position was so important for society. We started driving to their assigned location area and the first 3 businesses we went to started screaming at us to leave....lol Basically this job is all about going door to door to businesses and trying to sell new contracts with energy bills. WOW, not anything what I was told on the phone. So in my mind I am thinking to myself, this is ridiculous but maybe they like me and the money will be good so enduring this will be worth it. By noon, and after 15 more unsuccessful attempts at selling things, it was time for lunch. I almost had to pay for my own lunch before the one guy pulled out his personal credit card and said that lunch was on him. Apparently this company isn't even legit enough to issue corporate credit cards, so he just lost 9 dollars and didn't make any money through commission today. I almost felt bad for him. Then they sat me down and in the middle of my burrito they showed me a pamphlet of what they were willing to offer me.....$400 weekly or only commission ($50 per sale).... before taxes......WHAT!!!!!!!! At that moment I realized that this was a complete waste of time because my $31k as a paralegal was way more than that. I then asked them to take me back to the office so I could get my car and that I felt this was a total lie. They told me that they respected my opinion and that they would take me back. The entire way back they were snide and rude about how I didn't fit the criteria anyway and then they were supposedly texting their manager, Cory, during the trip back and making jokes about how I refused the position. Well, I am so so glad I did and I honestly hope that people see what this company is, an attempt to take advantage of young people willing to work. I can now proudly say that I work for a corporate, multi-billion dollar insurance company in investigations and that I make 5 times what they offered. So to everyone considering this company, hold your head up, and value yourself and your education enough to keep looking for a job with security and a salary. It may seem impossible, but no educated person right out of college should need to be treated like this and paid this low, along with paying for gas and having to chant like an animal every morning during their ridiculous warm ups at the office.

STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A PROFESSIONAL JOB, BE ETHICAL. Think about what you are doing to kids.

This is ridiculous.

I worked at Broad Street Marketing

Pros

Not really any pros to speak of, unless you like working for free. I guess the drive in is kinda nice.

Cons

The pay is 100% commission, no base salary at all. That means you have a bad day selling garbage door to door, you don't eat. You drive around all over creation and there's no reimbursement for gas or anything like that. They constantly tell you what a great opportunity it is to do some lame door to door sales job for no pay. If they have to remind you what a great opportunity it is every 15 minutes, that's a pretty sure sign that it isn't. Oh, and it's a cult-like atmosphere. WAY too much clapping and chanting. That part is just creepy. Basically, the whole thing is a scam. Avoid like the plague. I worked there two months and ended up just as broke as I was when I started.

Honesty. It wouldn't be that bad if the "opportunity" nonsense went out the door and you treated this like what it is. Failing that, some kind of base pay for your employees wouldn't hurt. And drop the chanting and clapping too. It's creepy.

Great environment and I truly appreciate the connections I have made while being here.

I have been working at Broad Street Marketing

Pros

I love the fact I work full time Monday through Friday 8-5. Having the weekends off really fits my schedule with family and friends and allows me to get the work needed to be done out of the way in the time that is most critical. I am a recent college graduate and it was really refreshing to find those kinds of hours right out of school, as I was so used to working weekends and late nights in my college town back home. Broad Street Marketing has given me the chance to advance my future right out of school and has really shown me that good people aren't that hard to find. The interactive team environment was pleasing to come across as this was my first position out of school. I love working with people so it was right up my ally. As far as my day to day agenda I love the schedule I work on here at Broad Street and am very pleased with management and HR. They help me with anything I need to work through or talk about and I think that is really important these days when it comes to finding a company you feel at-home with.

Cons

I thought the commute from downtown would be pretty harsh on me but it ends up the drive to Blue Bell really isn't very bad and getting out of the city's hectic scene is nice every now and again to tell you the truth.

Office structure is great and I love the way things are running. Keep up the good work.

Great group of people, but understand what the job actually involves

Former Employee - Account Executive in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Broad Street Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Office culture feels like one big group of friends. Everybody is willing to help each other out and management is easily accessible/approachable. Most of the office usually goes out for "Team Night" (typically drinks or playing a sport) after work once a week to build relationships. Legitimate opportunity for quick promotions if you are good at talking to all different types of people, willing to work hard and successfully mentor/train new employees.

Cons

It is a business-to-business sales job, thus you are traveling all over the Philadelphia area & suburbs to small businesses. Gas is not covered (it is considered a tax write-off) so often a good portion of your paycheck is going towards that. High turnover rate due to repetitiveness of the job and low/inconsistent pay. Although the office environment is up-beat and engaging, some of the "team culture" begins to feel forced after a certain amount of time. Much of the promotion process relies on luck (personal success, success of your team, ability to retain employees and hire new ones, etc.).

Increase pay and/or provide at least some gas money. Switch-up the morning meetings more frequently. The phone-calls with managers/reps from different offices (you start hearing the same questions, answers and advice) and team drills become extremely repetitive after time and begin to lose it's effect after time.

Great people TERRIBLE job

I worked at Broad Street Marketing

Pros

The people who work there are very nice but turnover is so high it's new people every week. Even the CEOs best friends quit.

Cons

100% commision based
    During training you don't see any money from the sales "you" made
    You pay for the wear and tear on your car. I put 15,000 miles on in the 6 months I was there.
    You pay for all your own gas
    Pyramid scheme where you need so many people under you before can get a promotion.
    Waste 2-3 hours of your day at the office playing games when you could be making sales.
    Your job is to screw local business owners.
    Very poor ethics.
    They have to keep changing their name just so bad reviews won't show up when searching the company.

Overall if you take into account the cost of wear and tear on your car plus gas you make well below minimum wage even if you're an above average sales man. Their solution to this was to claim the expenses on your taxes. The goverment shouldn't have to pay for the CEO being so cheap

Stop being so cheap and offer people the benefits they deserve. Turnover is costing your business just as much as doing the right thing.

Challenging, fast-paced work environment!

I have been working at Broad Street Marketing full-time

Pros

I am very glad I came across the ad for Broad Street! I have never seen such professional and team oriented people. It really is a people helping people business. It's a complete 360 from most other companies, I actually ENJOY coming to work every morning rather than dreading it! They are very picky about who they hire, and that itself makes it a professional and fun work environment! The training was very helpful and they actually took the time to make sure I understood everything.

Cons

It is hard work to get promoted, but hard work always pays off!

Keep up the great work. The hands on training and weekly bonuses are awesome ways to keep your employees motivated.

Glad I Came Across The Company

Current Employee - Client Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Broad Street Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Before I received a call from Broad Street, I hadn't heard of them before but knew I wanted something that would give me the opportunity to grow. Coming out of school I expected job offers to come flying at me since I spent so long getting my degree, while I did get a lot of calls, most of them were pyramid schemes and made their positions sound better than they actually were. Thankfully I found Broad Street. I really love how they teach us all the basics of how to do well in marketing and you can tell that they actually care about our futures not just because it will benefit them but because they're just genuine people that want what's best for everyone. I've had most of my friends get jobs right out of school and end up switching careers after a year or so and I'm confident that I won't be in the same situation.

Cons

The only challenges for some people is that they expect people to pick up things very quickly and move on to the next position in the company. They're growing a lot so people need to be ready to learn pretty fast.

I wouldn't say there's a lot of advice, they seem to be very smart people. Keep the mentor program, I like that I'm always learning new things and I never get stagnant.

Not the opportunity that is presented/advertised

Former Employee - Client Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Client Coordinator in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Broad Street Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, every day is different, learn a lot of sales skills that are applicable to other areas of life.

Cons

Overall the opportunity that is presented/promised to you is extremely deceitful. Pure commission (no base, even known they tell you there is), and the 40K a year average is no where close. You spend tons of money on gas and it is not reimbursed (They say you can record your milage for a tax credit but who knows if that actually works out). The advancement structure that is in place has you making sales pitches with atleast 1 other employee, and frequently with a poor soul who is interviewing during the 8 hour "day-in-the-life interview" process. This means that you hit half of the doors that you could of during the day because your co-worker has to split them with you. Overall the company takes advantage of young people who cannot find the good jobs they are looking for in this rough economy. They will hire anyone...seriously. Even known they say "we are looking for a very specific type of person"...Yeah...not true. The company overall is very deceiving.

Well for management this idea works...they basically get labor while paying peanuts. So, I guess management doesn't need any advice besides perhaps thinking about how unethical their work approach is.

Broad Street Marketing Photos