BroadSoft

Be The First To
Add Photos

BroadSoft President, CEO, and Director Michael Tessler

Michael Tessler

Good people to work with

Sales (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at BroadSoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBroadSoft has an excellent product and the sales/sales support team are some of the best I've ever worked with. CTO really knows how to talk to customers, teaching them about the benefit of the product while not "talking down" to them like a lot of CTO's in the tech industry do.

ConsCEO is an egotistical, unethical jackass and the compensation plan is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've said enough already

stay away

I worked at BroadSoft full-time

Prosnothing work taliking about the place

Consmanagement says its not their buisness to assign projects. lots of yelling if I cant a find a project that fits their vision. Expect to work long hours even without a project.

Advice to Senior Managementhire better middle management

A Tremendous Place to Work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at BroadSoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat management, great product, great place to work. I've been here a couple of years now, and have never been part of such an excellent organization.

ConsBSFT is a small company, and resources can be stretched thin. There are times when to few people are doing to many things, but we do wind up getting a lot done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing the right things, so keep on doing it.

Awesome company and people to work for

Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at BroadSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Prosstartup mentality and good people

Consthey can fire you if cmpany is not doing well

One of the best places to work at if you like VoIP, are in Engineering, are skilled and can take risks

I worked at BroadSoft full-time

ProsStrong engineering focus, some very good VPs

ConsBad information flow down to employees

Small comes with opportunities and challenges

Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at BroadSoft

ProsManagement has a relaxed view of people & organization and happy to see smart ideas bubble to the top. In general, there's a good concern for the well being of employees and a general sense of fair play. The organization is a mix of long termers and newbies. A general curiosity to try things out encourages out of the box thinking

ConsIt's a small company and in the end 2-3 management members make all the decisions The good is a fast decision process, the downside is sometimes they're wrong and queuing to get mindshare is often difficult. Management has never run large companies and their personal style is sometimes hard to convey across a far flung organization.

Like any older organization, there is a "friend's of Mike" CEO club, protected employees who can "do no wrong" and with such a small management team, the risk is you fall into disfavor with management and out the door you will go.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a daily challenge in telecom with stormy seas, Tessler has certainly made more right decisions than wrong. Mike has a loyal band of followers, some of whom are less than competent, but trust is often more important. Unfortunately, this breeds a "YES" man culture which may not help Mike ultimately make the right long term decisions.

Work environment & pay grades.

Professional Services (Current Employee)
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at BroadSoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat management team.
Experience sharing platforms.

ConsLower pay scales out of US.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're doing everything they can.

Fast moving US-based yet global telecom SW firm

Customer Development Manager (Former Employee)
Paris (France)

I worked at BroadSoft full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's an innovative SW-based firm with a fast-changing corporate environment, A pragmatic management style with quick decision-making; Despite it's small size (approx. 350 employees) the company has an international business focus.

ConsTheir client offers are interesting, but their SW-licence sales model seemed a bit limited; Unless you work in the HQ you are not fully visible and removed to some degree from the decision making

My experience has been great

I worked at BroadSoft

Pros1. Technology driven
2. Solid vision
3. Innovative and Creative people
4. Outstanding C-level executive
5. Good forward thinking and collaborative work culture

ConsCompensation is not at all competitive

Good company, but vastly disorganized and mismanaged in some areas.

Experienced Broadsoft Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at BroadSoft

ProsExcellent Benefits, Good work/life balance, great HR staff! Most of the people at Broadsoft are nice and helpful. Mid-level managers are competent and professional.

ConsThe company is very disorganized. It is segmented in such a way that there is no consistency in processes. Senior Management is definitely a "friends of Tessler" club. It is clear that some of the senior management has little background in the area they oversee. This lack of background ends up with the leadership not understanding the field they oversee and making snap judgements without knowing how the department they lead actually functions. They need to assess the whole situation instead of looking at basic numbers in a spreadsheet. If you show any disagreement with management, you might as well start looking for another job as you will be deemed a "problem".

Employee performance reviews are a joke. If you get an outstanding review, you still get the same compensation bump as someone who got a less than outstanding review. What do we work so hard for if the lacky in the next cube gets the same pay increase? I might as well coast as it looks like the reviews aren't taken into account during salary review.

Communication between departments is also less than great. Often I find myself probing for information that should have been shared. Some divisions of Broadsoft are treated like red-headed stepchildren while others get whatever they need.

Leadership could stand to help improve morale, but how, I do not know. I think so many people are afraid to say anything for fear of pissing off the Senior management club that they don't say anything. This is not the way to run an organization.

I really hope they read these reviews and take them to heart. Broadsoft has the bones of a GREAT company and 90% of the employees are hard working, dedicated and professional individuals. It is the 10% that make it hard to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to middle management and lower level employees and take their feedback to heart. Re-assess senior management and spread the expertise they have to departments they have the abilities to effectively manage.

Promote from within. Develop a consistent set of processes across the enterprise. Don't make snap judgements about an issue before getting the whole story. Everyone is afraid of Senior Managements' "temper". That makes for an unhealthy environment to work in.

Worked for BroadSoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BroadSoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BroadSoft CEO Michael Tessler. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by BroadSoft employees.