Broadband Express

Updated October 23, 2014
1.7

Randy Zimmerman
1 Rating

iI work until a fast paced environment... installing and you upgrading cable /internet

I have been working at Broadband Express

Pros

if you work hard you make good money

Cons

it's very challenging... you have to hustle and same time adhere to company guidelines

You deserve better for yourself.

I worked at Broadband Express

Pros

Company Truck, Company gas card, major tools provided.

Cons

70+ hour work week, no meal break, poor wages (less than minimum wage), drivecam that watches your every move and records your mistakes when you turn, brake too hard, or hit a bump the wrong way. You are expected to help others after you are finished with your route by doing other's jobs. Company compliance line is a joke. No chance of promotion or bonus. Rude customers, poor quality equipment, and poor technical support. Training is a joke, you basically have to learn it as you go because your field trainer is earning piece rate and yelling at you for taking too long.

Terrible company

I have been working at Broadband Express

Pros

You Recieve A Pay check

Cons

It BeginS With All The Lies You Are Told At Training. The Biggest BeIng You Get Paid For What You Do . This Would Be True If Management Didn't Limit What You Can Do. I Went To Two Weeks Training In Syracuse Ny In Which The President Of The Company Attended. The Moment He Started Talking I Wanted Out. He Couldnt Give You A Straight Answer On Anthing. The In Field Trainging Is A Complete Joke. You Get Paid Hourly While Your Trainer Is Making Piece Rate. So While Your Trying To Drive Safe And Learn The Job Your Trainer Is Bitching You Dont Move Fast Enough. Making It Very Hard To Learn. No Reason For Advancement, Twice As Much Work With Less Pay. No Bonus Or Incentives Trucks Blow Ot Is Pointless.

Start Treating Your Techs With Respect Or Your Company Will Be Bankrupt Again.Its Sad You Cant Find One Positive Review Anywhere On This Company. All Your Techs Are Just Waiting For A Better Job. The Techs Make Your SalarY, Give Something Back.

Low pay long hours no perks

Former Employee - Installer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Installer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Broadband Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being employed. Other than that its pretty awful.

Cons

Long hours, usually minimum wage since paid piece rate. Start at 7am and work till they say youre done- have been out till midnight before.

Institute hourly wages, not piece rate. On paper its great, inreality its terrible

You get what you put in

Former Employee - Custom Installation Technician in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Custom Installation Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at Broadband Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours. If you're efficient with your time, you get your work done and go home. For as many late nights as you work, there are just as many early days to equal it out. Company pays for vehicle, gas, major tools. Company wants to do a good job for clients and goes a long way towards taking care of their techs with benefits, especially if you're injured on the job.

Cons

Payscale does change rather often and can get very convoluted which has a negative effect on morale. Pay stayed pretty stagnant for the 5 years I was there. IMHO, the standards for hiring are too low so you can get unprofessional technicians that are lazy, incompetent, messy and careless. Perhaps that's just the market for this type of work now-a-days?? Regardless, hiring standards need to go beyond having a clean driving record and passing a drug test. There are a lot of great techs, but the bad ones with the bad attitudes drag everyone down.

You have some folks in corporate management that have been around for a LONG time. These people are still doing things the old way which doesn't work in the current marketplace. You have to be leaner, you have to be fluid and you have to be creative. Your most important asset isn't your fleet of vehicles, your training mock-up and especially not your entrenched management; it's your technicians. You need to help them grow as employees, get them to love your company and help it succeed, give them a stake in the future of the company. Make it more than just a job to them. Realize that there are folks with a lot of potential to lead and succeed, you just haven't developed them or even recognized it. Best of luck to you.

Go work somewhere else - you deserve more.

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Broadband Express

Pros

You'll have a job. And believe me, the management will be quick to let you know that you should be happy that you have a job to make you feel like a jerk for wanting a GOOD JOB.

Cons

Mandatory 6 days a week. When there is work. Summers bring busy days (which hey, means you get a paycheck that week!) while winters have been known to be slow (as in no work for weeks - and they'll let you know that there is no work once they've let you drive into the office so you have to claim hours and cannot claim unemployment for that week). With those 6 days, you're expected to do regular 12hr days. You're paid by the job, so if it takes you longer to do something you won't necessarily get paid more. Instead your hourly rate goes down which affects the hourly rate you get paid for Vacation Days (an average of 6weeks hourly rates for an 8hr day). You only get paid $50 for a holiday pay. Figure that out - it comes out to a $6.25 over 8 hrs. How nice of them. The management will have favoritism toward specific technicians as far as what routes go to who. Instead of giving easier routes to junior technicians the easiest go to the favorite technicians who also are the leads, who also don't help their junior techs when they run behind. The pay scale is impossible to understand. You used to make 60k+ a year at this place - no more. Good luck clearing 30k. You want to work out of a Ford Ranger stacked to the roof of the cap with a weeks worth of garbage and equipment? Hope you don't bottom it out. Tires that have been recalled by the manufacturer but the management refuses to change because... who knows. It's free to change them, they're just lazy. Want to report an unethical action of someone in the office? Be prepared to be ridiculed, ignored, and retaliated against. They can't seem to get trucks fixed, or decent tools! Need drill bits? HAHA!

Shut the shop down, or sell it to someone who cares because you obviously haven't got a clue.

Diminished morale

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Broadband Express full-time

Pros

- Get to use a vehicle that the company pays for
    - Getting a paycheck

Cons

- Long hours predetermined by the company that controls the contractors
    - NO advancement opportunites
    - Always count on taking a paycut at every contract negotiation and having your workload increased
    - Six days a week and the days get longer and longer
    The cons can keep going on and on with this company. It seems like every corner you turn around you find yourself at someone else's mercy. The morale has deminished in this company and a ton of great technicians have left due to the lack of importance they feel. You can only lose soo much before you start to feel like you don't care anymore and that is what this place has done to me personally. I used to love doing this job but now it's just got to work try to get done ASAP and get home. There is no motivation except to not lose your driving priviledges.

Do something to make the technicians feel like they can count on you. Everything is not so black and white and some victory with out "other" employer would go a long way. Some decision need to be addresed before they are agreed upon like having the technicians work 2 hour time frames and working from 8am to 8pm five days a week and then having them work long days on the weekend. This topic was never addressed with us except to say hey "it is what it is".

You work to earn money for the company, not you or your family.

Current Employee - Installer
    Current Employee - Installer

I have been working at Broadband Express

Pros

Interesting job, work outside, company vehicle, company gas.

Cons

A complete lack of communication
    You are treated terribly by the company, customers, and the companies you contract for
    Hours are awful
    No advancement in the company
    All bonus incentives have been taken away
    If you make a boss mad, or have an opinion you will be fired, they will find anything to get rid of you
    Subject to surprise safety inspections, the safety supervisor will find anything they can to bust you, no matter how dumb it is
    the company cares more about their property than their employees, if you are in any type of accident all they care about is company property

The payscale is completely stupid..... it changes regularly, and every time it changes you make less money. I have been here about 5 years it has changed about 4 times. The most recent change has cut my pay almost in half. I was averaging around 1800 A week, now around 700 to 900. The company is making more money, we are making less.
    Our new payscale is paid by job task, and there are 9 tiers of pay, based on seniority, qc checks, attendance, customer surveys, and if they want to bump you up or down, they can (it says so in the explanation of pay from corporate). We record our hours so it seems as if we are paid hourly (we are not), and that we are paid overtime, but it is straight piece work. We are not paid by the hour. You can be on 1 job for 2 hours and make $7. It seems illegal to me.

The insurance benefits get more expensive every year
    You have to pay for all your tools (buy them elsewhere the company jacks up the prices)
    The training is pretty much a crash course now, it used to be thorough, but they cut the training program, in turn creating a higher turnover rate.
    There are cameras in the company trucks, they can be set off for various reasons... stopping too fast, bumps, etc... they do go off at random and you will be written up or terminated if you are seen as doing something that's not safe.
    The safety program is a joke, its pretty much be safe- unless the job needs to be done.
    The company constantly renigs on its policies if it benefits them, and policies change weekly
    You are expected to bend over backwards to get all of your work done, often over booked, there is no help available.

The company is a joke, I could go on for hours about this.
    management has no experience in the field and implements policies that make the work take twice as long as it should

Hire corporate employees that know anything about the field, not just because they have some bs degree.

Think about the installers, we make your salary.

Bring back bonuses.

Give us a real pay scale and leave it alone.

Stop modeling our company after prince telecom, they can't seem to make it work, just make money.

Bring back the training program.

Consider installers when negotiating contracts with our customers, we keep losing pay codes everytime you negotiate.

Treat installers like people.

This company should be investigated.

I worked at Broadband Express

Pros

You get to pay for your own uniform, tools, and company gas, but a company vehicle is provided for doing the job.

Cons

Formulaic pay scale based on 6 days a week for 5 days of pay!

After a car accident, well, several car accidents, I found that the first question is not, "are you ok?" In fact, the first question is going to be, "is the vehicle damaged?" and followed with, "was it your fault"? In case, any one is wondering, I have never been in an at-fault accident.

1 Change the culture to value employees as people