Broadcom

Broadcom Reviews in Irvine, CA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Broadcom President & CEO Scott McGregor

Scott McGregor

Pros
  • Great technology, so many design wins, work-life balance, great managers(in 37 reviews)

• Dynamic work environment with multiple concurrent projects(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure environment, tough to maintain work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• In the past engineers were given preference but now it's more in line with a "Big Company" dynamic(in 21 reviews)

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a great company at the moment

Senior Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsBroadcom provides very good healthcare. And the flexible hours and very convenient. You can work from home as needed without asking for permission.

ConsNo opportunities to move internally. Stagnant salary. 50% of people in *each team* get no bonus.
    Vacation policy sucks. The spin is "unlimited vacation" at manager's discretion but it's a burden on the employee.

My experience in Broadcom

Scientist, Senior Staff (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood place to gain technical experience.

ConsNo hope to get rich :-)

Great company, but in decline

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsProbably the best large semiconductor company culture. Very "can-do", focused on results, light on bureaucracy for its size.

ConsIt gets worse every year: with growth it becomes more political, more bureaucratic, less the exceptional company it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecentralize, as centralization is harming incentives and results. Some much of the company has little direct reward from their business results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn, lots of politics, vacation policy is terrible

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGet to learn more in cutting edge technologies, work with a group of great engineers and learn from one another

ConsWith growing in size, more politics, more bureaucracy
    Really nice word to say, 'unlimited vacation', have to negotiate and begging with the manager for his/her vacation time...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to create startup feeling culture, reduce bureaucracy and bring back old vacation policy

-40% YTD stock performance vs. S&P500 or semiconductor sector

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThis review is for mobile platform group.
    Basically, work and life can be in balance, except during bring-up or critical issues
    Nice campus in Irvine

ConsIf stock is -40% vs S&P500 index, usually the CEO and/or high-level management should take responsibility. The board should notice and do something.
    Many critical and expensive mistakes by management, for example bad acquisition of a $400 million LTE company, which turns out to be a dud. To fix this, another LTE company was acquired. The mistake is probably reflected in stock price.
    Not seeing any high-level management resigns or leaves over this mistake.

Now, in order to merge, they need to cut cost by letting go good existing people. How about the super top management?

A director also made bad decision over software integration strategy that was costly, but he is still hanging around.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the decision making and avoid costly mistakes. You are late in mobile tech because of bad decisions.

overall a good company, although salary is a little bit low

Senior Staff IC Design Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosgood working environment, nice people

Consmanagement made bad decision in recent years, which cause trouble in this company

Started great, ended with a fizzle.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood compensation. Good fringe benefits working at HQ, Gyms, Cafes, etc. Extremely talented staff. Always working on the next generation of every technology.

ConsToo thinly staffed. Steadily got cheaper and eliminated flexibility: expected to be in the office more than should be required for a 24X7 job. Clear message from upper management was lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo run a lean staff, flexibility is required. To have a traditional 9-5 office, people can't be expected to be on-call 24x7.

Experience at Broadcom over the years

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsAdvance Technology Experience at Broadcom over the years

ConsLimited career growth opportunities at Broadcom over the years

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide career growth opportunities to all employees

Outstanding

Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsMy time at Broadcom was some of the most productive and fulfilling experience I have ever had.

ConsNot much to say here.

Summer Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosbig company, benefits and activities are good, working environment is good.

Consnot a perfect place for the people who want to study something during the intern

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!