Broadcom

Broadcom Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Broadcom President & CEO Scott McGregor

Scott McGregor

Pros
  • Great technology, so many design wins, work-life balance, great managers(in 39 reviews)

• Dynamic work environment with multiple concurrent projects(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure environment, tough to maintain work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• In the past engineers were given preference but now it's more in line with a "Big Company" dynamic(in 21 reviews)

Excellent Experience

ProsLow key, can concentrate on getting the work done. The engineering staff is extremely talented, hard-working, and well trained. Almost everyone has a masters or PhD degree.

ConsIn my department, the managers are weak. They are poor at motivating the engineering staff, poor at decision making, and slow to make decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have concerns about the performance of senior management, especially related to the mobile phone group. Decisions need to improve in both speed and quality.

DVT

Intern (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe company culture is excellent! Although it is does not accept too many people, it still worth working for it as an intern. Skills you can learn from it is much more than you get paid.

ConsGood company culture, but not many return offer oppertunities. Best company of video and wifi/BT development group, as a intern you can learn a lot in relevent field.

Excellent company!!

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNice company to work for. Good benefit and compensation. It is a place where engineers are well respected.

ConsThe work was separated into too many locations at different time zone. It makes collaboration more difficult.
    Decision making processes take too long sometimes.
    Made several wrong decisions to acquire the wrong companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute the work into different teams with the consideration of locations/time zones in mind.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Talented People, Amazing Environment!

Senior Staff Applications Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsA very talented group of engineers whom I had a great pleasure to work with. Many of them I know from previous companies I worked before so it was a great environment to work.
    Company provides with best benefits, ESPP, RSU and stock options.
    Management is contributing in personal professional grow including internal and external courses.
    Lots of interesting projects on most recent wireless technologies.
    Nice office spaces, great kitchen and sport facilities on the campus.

ConsManagement spent too much money buying other companies so the own employees loosing their jobs...

good engineer

Principal IC Design Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosvery technical driven, no BS

ConsCEO is making wrong decision

Good

Principal IC Design Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExciting challenges on cutting edge micro-electronic circuit design. Never a shortage of new design challenges to overcome.

ConsA lot is expected from you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication.

Intern Experience

Networking for WLAN (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros1. Great work ethics
    2.Great colleagues to work with.
    3. Good salary.
    4. Chance to learn

ConsPoor work life balance, need better perks and discounts

Lots of bright people and good work-life balance

ProsThere are a lot of talented and bright people at this company and the management is also accommodating of time off and does not require very long work days.

ConsProjects can have poor schedules leading to weak chance of success

It's OK

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood technology, work on high selling products. I found work life balance to be OK - sometimes you have to work extra hours, but typically not.

ConsManagement is focused on the success of projects and are indifferent to their employees career. Their attitude is if you don't like it, leave. I also found it a rather joyless place to work - they cut all celebrations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to employees career advancement.

Rewarding and fulfilling

Prosgreat place to work at
    internal transfers are weighed higher

Consdifficult for promotions
    cafe down grades every new suitor

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!