Broadlane

Updated July 11, 2014
Updated July 11, 2014
1.9

John Bardis

Great people and great goals! I left for family reasons.

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Broadlane full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly ethical company that succeeds in being impartial in facilitating health group purchases.

Cons

Challenges working there are the usual office politics, but they are always working to improve it. Much better than most companies.

Keep up the great ethics in every way!

Not so great to work at anymore

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Broadlane

Pros

It used to be good. The benefits are great. Work and family life balance can be maintained fairly. Depends on your group or team members your work might not be as bad as the other group.

Cons

Lot of miscommunication between Upper management and mid level employees, lot of distrust between groups. Very low morale. A lot of changes are ridiculous and completely mismanaged.

Don't treat employees as only resources, think things through before taking any action. Do the due diligence, and research, be prepared to provide alternatives.

Not a Happy place

Former Employee - Business Process Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Process Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Broadlane

Pros

Company has a niche in market place, should do well

Cons

Company does not value employee, moral is generally low. Not enough focus on internal technology.

Many employees do not trust or have faith in your leadership.

bad for awhile, last it was muh better, and then really bad again

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Broadlane

Pros

coworkers are honest hardworking people

Cons

pay is low by industry standards, little room to advance

better communication from management, focus on retaining employees, remove favoritism

Double and triple standards to lower level employees

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at Broadlane

Pros

OK benefits (standard health, vision and 401k), some great associates from Broadlane's early days, but they are leaving quickly, a stable business model.

Cons

The culture has changed from open and innovative, to command and control with little room for feedback. Since the culture has shifted, many employees are in protective mode and are just trying to keep their jobs. Treatment of associates or middle management is not even with senior management. The "spin" Broadlane puts on its internal messages are just outright lies. In my opinion, Broadlane is trying to transform this service company into a factory mentality of everyone is replaceable, follow the six sigma process, and don't take any chances.

Advice is not something that the new CEO will take, but if he did, I would tell him to transform the culture into an open innovative environment where employees can take chances and be rewarded appropriately. Also, diversify your business model so you are not at risk from a congressional change to the treatment of GPO's.

Erratic Place to Work -- Really Smart and Capable Workforce

I have been working at Broadlane

Pros

Nice offices, super smart and motivated co-workers, competitive salaries and benefits.

Cons

Always in an uproar. Corporate amnesia when it comes to fixing chronic problems. Same things plague operational efficiency year after year after year. And then some new executive comes up with a plan to fix it as if it is a brand new issue. Amazing.

I think leadership only hears its own voice, so my advice would fall on deaf ears. This company succeeds in spite of itself because the employees are so driven they refuse to fail.

Terrible place to work, great people but unfortunately none in senior management

I have been working at Broadlane

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart people and help clients. Many places nearby to go to lunch if someone hasn't scheduled a meeting during lunch but someone probably did while I was writing this...

Cons

Senior Management behaves like they are in a college fraternity and employees are pledges. Promotions based on favoritism, most jobs filled before (if) posted. Company incapable of completing any initiative successfully, starts new initiatives before finishing the others - perhaps deliberate ploy to distract from failures. Employee morale is so low that department leads keep canceling team meetings so they don't have to hear about it or communicate corporate strategy, if it has any strategy beyond makings its investors wealthy. Zero work-life balance, no appreciation for overtime, extra effort, big wins and tuition reimbursement is a myth.

They wouldn't listen.

Unstable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Broadlane

Pros

Some managers are good, and most co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

Senior Managers disappear from the company with little to no advance warning or comments from other senior managers.

They should review how employees are treated.

Great first job out of college, but that's about it

Former Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Broadlane

Pros

good location
    nice people
    easy job
    flexible hours
    gym across the street

Cons

no career growth
    no recognition
    not enough pay for the amount of work/bs to deal with
    not easy to work with people in the Dallas office
    not allowed to "work from home"

more professionalism

Interesting work, terrible company

Former Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Broadlane

Pros

The work on the sourcing side of the office is pretty interesting as is the company's business model. All of the non-management employees are nice.

Cons

Zero opportunity for career advancement, zero opportunity for salary raises. Management has been leveraging the recession to drive down employee wages. They essentially encourage employees leaving knowing they can replace them with employees earning a lower wage - an underpaying job is better than none.

Management actively lies about the first point here - career advancement. They intentionally masquerade that there are opportunities and that they are working on career development, but after 6 months of continuing dialogue regarding progress on these fronts, it comes out that nothing has actually been in the works and nothing will be forthcoming.

In the off-chance the company elects for company-wide raises (these are not tied to performance at all), there is a good chance that the raise will be off-set by a corresponding reduction in 401k matching.

Employees of this company would honestly be better off if the company lost its contract with its Oakland client. They would either have an opportunity to work directly for the client (more competitive wages, opportunity for growth) or work for whatever consulting company might replace them, with the former being the more likely scenario.

It's fascinating to me that the company really does not value employee retention. I have heard multiple senior managers state that "they don't want to see employees stick around more than two years." I conjecture that this is because an employee with any ambition will clearly leave within two years; they want ambitious employees, though don't want to reward them or create an infrastructure where they can advance.

This is a completely demoralizing organization to work for. I actively hope(d) the company fails because I sincerely feel this will create career opportunities for me.