Brocade Communications Reviews

Reset
3.6
Brocade Communications CEO Lloyd Carney
Lloyd Carney

Pros
  • there is decent work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Excellent Work environment and Work culture (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance gets affected (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management was a bit of a problem (in 11 reviews)

1. I enjoy coming to work everyday and look forward to it.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

I get to do what I have always wanted to do working in my field with switches, etc - it's great.

Cons

I have no cons. I am VERY happy with my position.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it is obviously working and very motivational.

2. I am so lucky have found this diamond in the rough.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA

Pros

As a "small" big company, everyone is personally connected-- like an exclusive club-- as opposed to a giant monster of a company where everyone's a stranger and there's no camaraderie. I've been having lunch regularly with a couple of people I just met and had a great conversation with on the elevator-- and our departments are in no way related! The feedback system is great here, with a very structured on-boarding process that has made me feel very comfortable not only getting acquainted with Brocade as a company, but with corporate culture as well. The atmosphere is so welcoming yet so driven, it's easy to understand how to work hard and play hard at the same time here. I'm no exception-- this is the general consensus on my team and among other colleagues, and it's no wonder we were voted one of the top ten places to work in the Bay Area.

Cons

There are few downsides that I've seen so far working here. Much of the experience will depend on which manager you have, but generally I've seen heavy lifting in all departments when things get increasingly hectic. As a growing company, growing pains include process improvements and overhauls, which can be irritating to deal with. But again, faced with these challenges, Brocade as large and as small as it is, seems to coordinate well with the least amount of drama to at least journey in the right direction, if not achieve.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is doing a great job of not only making sure their teams are on track but also making themselves accessible to everyone. The employees are very grateful for their participation in everything from the Incoming classes' on-boarding briefings to the Executing Briefing Center presentations to our clients. That access gives the company human faces, and despite our growth, it's something that should remain the same.

3. A company with great potential

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Brocade is well known in the ASIC industry in silicon valley. Most people I work with are very smart and dedicated. The average technical skill among engineers in brocade is the best among all the companies I worked for. I like the culture that as long as you are good and contribute to the company, you get the respect from your peers and management team.

Cons

Work and life balance is hard.

Advice to Management

I would like to see significant difference in bonus paying between good performers and low performes.

Fast Paced - but also lots of FUN - and you get paid well too

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Brocade values teamwork and that's what makes working here fun. If your a "teamplayer" you will fit in fine. The work here is leading edge and we are tops in our field (Fibre Channel switches). Additionally - the benefits are very good with EXCELLENT vacation time (6 weeks a year for me since I've been here over 5 years!!!!!!!!!). The pay is good and there is a very good Bonus program which has been paying out very well the past couple years. If your in the Hardware field, we are one of the few places in Silicon Valley that's still showing some creativity - primarily since we make our own ASIC's. That's what sets our products apart from others.

Cons

It's fast paced - so you need to keep up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. Great place to work, outstanding co-workers and senior management

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

Pros

Great co-workers, product excellence, viable challenge to larger competitors in the industry. Leadership solicits and listens to employee feedback.

Cons

Large company, with large company policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

allow a little more flexibility in the policies and procedures. One size does not fit all.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Everyone is working hard and enjoying it. I am new to Brocade and I am really enjoying the atmosphere. So far, so good.

Cons

Nothing so far! I've been with Brocade for 6 months...and I am loving it.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, treat your employees with respect, have some fun. Enjoy and get excited for the new building. Stay the course.

8. Brocade Staffing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great People, Comp. Compensation, lots of chances to be involved in multiple projects, fast paced environment, strong ATS and support.

Cons

You must be flexible as Brocade is a company that is looking to gain market share. This leads to multiple initiatives that need implemented (can be challenging) and deliverables with tight deadlines

Advice to Management

Well managed company, great communication, abiliy to lead projects, make changes, and grow.

9. Brocade Solutions Consultant - Advanced Great company

Former Employee - Brocade Solutions Consultant - Advanced in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Brocade Solutions Consultant - Advanced in Washington, DC

Pros

Great people, great benefits, outstanding training and certification opportunities, overall good leaders and managers. Oportunities to participate on Certification review panels and sales events.

Cons

Routine management changes, sell of Broacde Services to Strategic Business Systems which is a company that treats employees significantly different. Customers were upset at the change to which also helped replace numerous consultants with lower paid people at Strategic Business Systems. Stock options, pretty poor performance for years..

Advice to Management

Get services back in house and away from the morons at Strategic Business Systems running the show. It ruined a lot of careers and infuriated a fair bunch of customers.

10. Great new campus brings company together

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

This summer Brocade moved to a brand new custom built campus in San Jose boarder to Milpitas. It’s easier to work with other groups now that we are all in one campus. I have been given the flexibility to set my own career course here at Brocade. Management looks favorably on those who are self driven to get the job done. The company is good about having quarterly all hands meetings so, we get to hear directly from the ex’s on what is going on..

Cons

Brocade may be behind other companies in it's acceptance in the flexible schedule of tele-commuting but, there are certainly more accepted then, a year ago.

Advice to Management

celebrate when goals are achieved

Great place to work, but doing down hill if corrections are not made quickely

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Amazing individual contributors. Some of the best and brightest I have had the pleasure to work with. Great innovative products that challenge and are fun to work on and with. Amazing network of company partners to help get your products out.

Cons

This is hard. I love Brocade. It has been my home for MANY years. However there are some new issues, in the last 12 months that are becoming an issue. 1.) With the exception of some individual promotions, raises have not been given in 2yrs or more for MANY people. 2.) In Dec, for the first time in the many many years I have been here, the 1/2 yr bonus was not paid. A Holiday bonus was given to soften the blow, however it was maybe 20% of what was normally received. Now, these two items would have been acceptable. We had a bad quarter, and they were very generous during years that many of my friends received no bonuses. Most were ok with this, IF not for two items. 1.) There was a filing made in December showing that the Exec team all received SIGNIFICANT raises. 2.) There was in the same filing a cash bonus set up for the same team that would further increase the executive compensation. If we sacrifice, they must sacrifice. Otherwise we leave. June will be very telling to the future as to which of us will be staying at Brocade.

Advice to Management

If you have to hide something, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Treat us with respect, and we will continue to build the products that make you wealthy. Do again what you did in Dec, and you will see brain drain that you could not imagine.

RSS Feed </> Embed