Broder Bros.

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.2

Norm Hullinger

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Middleborough, MA
    Current Employee - Cycle Counter in Middleborough, MA

I have been working at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck,Good working conditions.Awesome benefits.Special things for the holidays.

Cons

Some of the managment seem like they get a power trip.I had an awesome supervisor.

A Slow Death

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Phila, PA

I have been working at Broder Bros. full-time

Pros

Promotional apparel is an easy industry to do business. The customers are friendly and value a relationship.
    The inside sales team that work the phones and the outside sales team, especially the veterans, know the customer and know the business and are willing to help their colleagues.

Cons

alphabroder's upper management are arrogant leaders that don't listen to the customer and don't care about it's employees. They will shut down a facility and put people out of work and not give a second thought about the lives they've hurt and the customers they disrupted.

Sanmar is leaving you in the dust and Bodek and Rhodes and Heritage will surpass in a short time. They do it by listening to the customer and valuing their employees. Stop counting your bonus money for a minute, come down from the 6th floor and learn something about your most valuable assets, your customers and your employees.

Losing a grip on the industry

Former Employee - Account Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I worked at Broder Bros. full-time

Pros

You get free clothing sometimes...Unfortunately that is the only pro that comes to mind other than steady pay (not great pay but you know you're getting a pay check)

Cons

Management was so inept. Constant commission structure change. Advice fell on deaf ears. Pricing policies were so out of line with competition. Private Labels barely stood a fighting chance.
    Raises were...wait they didn't give them (even when you increased accounts by millions of dollar)

Change management (I know there have been some changes for the better)

Learning experience and a growing company

I have been working at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, challenging operation. Strong team work at the local level

Cons

Corporate is not always as supportive as it could be.

Learn to trust the leadership at the DC level.

I retired from there

Former Employee - Warehouse in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a gret company till Bain Capitol bought it

Cons

There bennifits suck. I worked there for 30 yrs. was frozen at my wage for the last 10 yrs. they closed down the hq in Plymouth mi. Opend big big DC centers. Just about bankrupt the company. I started there when there were 10 people and was located in Detroit Michigan.

Go back to doing business like Harold Brode you took a great company that treated there employees like family, to a do it my way or hit the high way. Boy I'm glad I'm retired from there. I retired in 2009. There are to many chiefs and not enough Indians. And what senior mgt makes they can afford to pay there employees a hell of a lot better. Hell Norm knew nothing about the tshirt sweatshirt business. Harold Brode made broder bros. I consider him my boss still.

AWFUL

Former Employee - Order Picker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Seattle, WA

I worked at Broder Bros. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- No weekend work.
    Pretty much it. Can't submit this review without more than 5 words for Pros. That is how little pros there are. I can't even come up with a whole 5 words.

Cons

- In the warehouse, room for growth seems scarce.
    - The hours are awful, 10-7 or later each day, so say goodbye to a life during the week.
    - You cannot leave until all orders are complete and picked/packed. This means that if anyone is slacking that day, you will get to work for another hour or two because of it.
    - It is beyond dusty in the warehouse and once you breath it in, your lungs WILL hurt.
    - Random people got fired while I was there.
    - Didn't even get a real orientation; just watched videos by myself.
    - Hard manual labor with only a half hour lunch (not enough time to even leave and get food or rest).
    - The warehouse manager was one of the laziest people I've ever met; I once saw him get on a lift just to drive over to the break room to get a coffee (the door from the office to the break room was literally 30 feet and he used a FORKLIFT to get him there. SERIOUSLY? Effing walk!!).
    - The amount you walk around the warehouse picking orders equals out to be MILES and MILES; you will be sore for the first two weeks..really really sore.
    - No music is allowed, so all you hear is forklift beeping for 8+ hours a day.
    - Never saw the warehouse manager on the floor (besides when he's on his way to the break room for food and coffee of course), never saw him helping even if orders were extremely backed up and the other two supervisors were picking. I actually have no idea what he does all day.
    - Corporate requires you to pretty much make no mistakes when you're a picker, while at the same time, going fast. You get about 2-3 mistakes a week and need to pick orders in under a half hour or sometimes an hour, depending on how many pages you get. The warehouse is HUGE and you sweat your ass off to make your time (yes, they time you) acceptable. I am by no means an olympic athlete, but I do work out and even this job made me sweaty and winded.
    - There isn't a team atmosphere. Everyone works individually. Stopping and talking to people slows and messes up your time during your order picking.
    - Crappy medical benefits, 2 weeks off a year (want a week long vacation? better make sure it's worth it. no long vacations for you!), 40 hours of 'sick' leave. Compared to other businesses I know about/have worked for, this place is by far the worst when it comes to 'benefits'.

Re-evaultate everything you're doing. Working for this company was terrible. Work for your employees, not JUST your customers. We are the reason you make money. Don't treat us like the crap you take in the morning. Is a longer lunch break too much to ask? Maybe a week or two more of time off? Do you actually keep track of what management does on a daily basis (because it seems like they get paid to eat and sit around)? We keep this company going. This company would not get their orders (aka $$$$) done if it wasn't for us, yet I felt powerless and like I could be replaced at any second.

If you like change every month... Apply

Current Employee - Sales in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I have been working at Broder Bros. (more than 5 years)

Pros

The sales floor are a bunch of great people. Not everyone is friendly but as a whole, great team to work with.

Cons

No raisers unless you are managers. Monthly comp plans changing every time you make money for yourself.

trreat your employee the way you would want your family to be treated.

Inside Sales Department Needs an Overhaul

I have been working at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are Great! Employees friendly

Cons

Very inconsistent and indecisive managers! -they get hefty paychecks while employees haven't had raises in years!!! No career growth unless you are a buddy of one of the managers! Women are second class there.....Commission structure changes regularly and pretty tough to make money. Single people need not apply- you cannot afford to live on this income! Best if you live with your parents or have roommates! Or take a 2nd job

Recognize and respect your employees- wonder why they keep leaving??

I am a looser for still working there

I have been working at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with great people.... sad to say that is it

Cons

The praise the brown noiser's and don't treat the good employees well. Brown noisers move up fast. They treat women like a lower being then men. No raises in all the time I have been there,

Change the management. Give raises. Treat your employees with respect. Stop changing things every few months. Stick to what works....

Micro Management at its finest

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Trevose, PA

I worked at Broder Bros. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generally nice people

Cons

micro management of Inside Sales Management,

get with the times.