Broder Bros.

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Norm Hullinger

Learning experience and a growing company

ProsFast paced, challenging operation. Strong team work at the local level

ConsCorporate is not always as supportive as it could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust the leadership at the DC level.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I retired from there

Warehouse (Former Employee) Plymouth, MI

ProsWas a gret company till Bain Capitol bought it

ConsThere bennifits suck. I worked there for 30 yrs. was frozen at my wage for the last 10 yrs. they closed down the hq in Plymouth mi. Opend big big DC centers. Just about bankrupt the company. I started there when there were 10 people and was located in Detroit Michigan.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to doing business like Harold Brode you took a great company that treated there employees like family, to a do it my way or hit the high way. Boy I'm glad I'm retired from there. I retired in 2009. There are to many chiefs and not enough Indians. And what senior mgt makes they can afford to pay there employees a hell of a lot better. Hell Norm knew nothing about the tshirt sweatshirt business. Harold Brode made broder bros. I consider him my boss still.

Run AWAY

Account Manager (Former Employee) Trevose, PA

ProsThey have heat in the winter and A/C in the summer. Some good people. Norm is a good guy - at least he appears that way. Fun yearly meeting.

ConsManagement is terrible. Commission constantly changes. Base pay is a joke. They expect the world from you, but give you nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire replacements for yourselves. Totally, revamp how your treat your salespeople. Allow for more flexibility. Pay better. Think before you act.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AWFUL

Order Picker (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- No weekend work.
    Pretty much it. Can't submit this review without more than 5 words for Pros. That is how little pros there are. I can't even come up with a whole 5 words.

Cons- In the warehouse, room for growth seems scarce.
    - The hours are awful, 10-7 or later each day, so say goodbye to a life during the week.
    - You cannot leave until all orders are complete and picked/packed. This means that if anyone is slacking that day, you will get to work for another hour or two because of it.
    - It is beyond dusty in the warehouse and once you breath it in, your lungs WILL hurt.
    - Random people got fired while I was there.
    - Didn't even get a real orientation; just watched videos by myself.
    - Hard manual labor with only a half hour lunch (not enough time to even leave and get food or rest).
    - The warehouse manager was one of the laziest people I've ever met; I once saw him get on a lift just to drive over to the break room to get a coffee (the door from the office to the break room was literally 30 feet and he used a FORKLIFT to get him there. SERIOUSLY? Effing walk!!).
    - The amount you walk around the warehouse picking orders equals out to be MILES and MILES; you will be sore for the first two weeks..really really sore.
    - No music is allowed, so all you hear is forklift beeping for 8+ hours a day.
    - Never saw the warehouse manager on the floor (besides when he's on his way to the break room for food and coffee of course), never saw him helping even if orders were extremely backed up and the other two supervisors were picking. I actually have no idea what he does all day.
    - Corporate requires you to pretty much make no mistakes when you're a picker, while at the same time, going fast. You get about 2-3 mistakes a week and need to pick orders in under a half hour or sometimes an hour, depending on how many pages you get. The warehouse is HUGE and you sweat your ass off to make your time (yes, they time you) acceptable. I am by no means an olympic athlete, but I do work out and even this job made me sweaty and winded.
    - There isn't a team atmosphere. Everyone works individually. Stopping and talking to people slows and messes up your time during your order picking.
    - Crappy medical benefits, 2 weeks off a year (want a week long vacation? better make sure it's worth it. no long vacations for you!), 40 hours of 'sick' leave. Compared to other businesses I know about/have worked for, this place is by far the worst when it comes to 'benefits'.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaultate everything you're doing. Working for this company was terrible. Work for your employees, not JUST your customers. We are the reason you make money. Don't treat us like the crap you take in the morning. Is a longer lunch break too much to ask? Maybe a week or two more of time off? Do you actually keep track of what management does on a daily basis (because it seems like they get paid to eat and sit around)? We keep this company going. This company would not get their orders (aka $$$$) done if it wasn't for us, yet I felt powerless and like I could be replaced at any second.

If you like change every month... Apply

Sales (Current Employee) Feasterville Trevose, PA

ProsThe sales floor are a bunch of great people. Not everyone is friendly but as a whole, great team to work with.

ConsNo raisers unless you are managers. Monthly comp plans changing every time you make money for yourself.

Advice to Senior Managementtrreat your employee the way you would want your family to be treated.

Inside Sales Department Needs an Overhaul

ProsCustomers are Great! Employees friendly

ConsVery inconsistent and indecisive managers! -they get hefty paychecks while employees haven't had raises in years!!! No career growth unless you are a buddy of one of the managers! Women are second class there.....Commission structure changes regularly and pretty tough to make money. Single people need not apply- you cannot afford to live on this income! Best if you live with your parents or have roommates! Or take a 2nd job

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and respect your employees- wonder why they keep leaving??

I am a looser for still working there

ProsI work with great people.... sad to say that is it

ConsThe praise the brown noiser's and don't treat the good employees well. Brown noisers move up fast. They treat women like a lower being then men. No raises in all the time I have been there,

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management. Give raises. Treat your employees with respect. Stop changing things every few months. Stick to what works....

Micro Management at its finest

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Trevose, PA

ProsGood benefits, generally nice people

Consmicro management of Inside Sales Management,

Advice to Senior Managementget with the times.

A dump of a place and that's being kind

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Trevose, PA

ProsYou do get a decent discount on the clothing they sell. That is about all I could find of actual benefit

ConsNo training, no leadership, place looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The computer is older the Hugh Hefner. They still use a VCR to show you an HR video your first week.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiquidate and close your doors.

If you are looking for no training, no benefits, a mediocre salary and poor leadership this is the place for you

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Trevose, PA

ProsYou would get a discount on some ok clothing if you stayed there long enough.

ConsThey sit you down in front of a computer and tell you to learn the 240 page manual for their computer system that was so old it didn't recognize the mouse.
    Leadership doesn't seem to be able to coach you or teach you much. The place looks like no one bothered to clean up after the previous company was in there. Broken desks, broken chairs, conference room hasn't been cleaned in ages.
    With the company's profits dwindling, they are adjusting the compensation plan to make it harder to get paid out commissions. Their market share is declining and increased competition is taking long time customers away from account reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason you have such high turnover, perhaps working on fixing that as opposed to continuously moving people in and out like cattle would be beneficial.

Worked for Broder Bros.? Contribute to the Community!