Broe Reviews

Pat Broe

Finance: BROE Management

Former Employee - Finance in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Finance in Denver, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity abounds at this company! If you are motivated and enjoy a challenge, there is no limit to your career and the opportunities that will be afforded you at The BROE Group.

Given that the organization spans 4+ businesses (real estate, rail, oil & gas, venture capital), the ability to learn and grow in your profession is guaranteed. It is not often in a career that you get to work alongside entrepreneurs and industry veterans who have prospered through multiple economic cycles. Working at The BROE Group is the equivalent of an "on the job MBA".

The BROE Group offers corporate level experience while affording its employees a family-values based culture. This is very difficult to find working in Corporate America today. I enjoyed working with people who cared as much about myself and my family as they did my career and my corporate achievements.

Cons

For employees, the challenge (like with any successful, growing business) is balancing the day-to-day responsibilities with the growth initiatives. As previously mentioned, opportunity abounds at The BROE Group. Those who can become proficient at the day-to-day responsibilities by creating efficiencies and can spend time on growth initiatives will prosper.

Likewise, those who take the time to network within the company will benefit tremendously. I can't speak enough about the caliber and quality of the management teams, from Pat Broe and his Management Team to the folks running the businesses. The wealth of knowledge and experience is there, it is up to the individual employee to reach out and form the relationships.

For employees to prosper at The BROE Group, they should want to take the ball and run with it. Management is there to lead, provide direction, and grow the businesses, It is up to the employee to think and act "like an owner". The sooner the employee does this, the better relationship they will have with Management.

Like stepping back in time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting lines of business and free parking

Cons

The most verbally abusive, classless, discriminatory, unprofessional organization I've ever worked in. They say they are trying to change the culture but don't kid yourself - they're not. Lots of turnover for a reason. Company lacks financial governance and ethics which is great since you get to spend and do whatever you want - good thing they're private.

It's not 1960 so get with the times and lead with grace and professionalism, not abuse. Have consistent policy & procedures and Pat should keep a better eye on the people he trusts - they just tell him what he wants to hear.

Apr 28 & Apr 16 Reviews were requested by Execs and are written by Execs...

I worked at Broe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the location is the only thing good. sometimes they overpay because they have too.

Cons

The 2 posts mentioned in the title of this post were solicited by the Broe Exec team to try to shed a more positive light. When noone responded, the executives had to write the posts in fear of failure in front of Pat.

give up....some things will never change. if you value your integrity, you can't work at Broe. the lines of business are a good place to be, but running scared.

I have worked at the Broe for 7+ years and it is the best place I have ever worked including two Fortune 100 companies.

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Denver, CO

I have been working at Broe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are highly skilled, confident in your abilities, know how to get things done, want to learn from you peers, need to make a difference, like a fast pace, and appreciate being recognized, this is the place to be.

Cons

If you are a B.S.er, lack confidence, are of low moral character, like to blame your co-workers, and can't meet deadlines, then don't apply. There is no place for the incompetent to hide in this company.

Abusive and clueless management with no vision

I worked at Broe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location in Cherry Creek, mid and lower level employees are very intelligent and helpful but rarely stay for long because the corporate culture is so toxic, exposure to many industries and transactions (which they rarely close despite touting their ability to close deals)

Cons

Corporate strategy changes constantly based on senior management's whims rather than developing and executing a long term, coherent strategy. Senior management is abusive to employees and is seemingly stuck in the 1960s with the amount of racist and sexist comments and jokes made in meetings. Senior management routinely beats its chest as a deal making shop despite rarely closing more than one significant deal a year over the last five year due to lack of strategy and planning.

Have a long term strategy and stick to it, treat employees with respect,senior management should reward and recognize employees for their accomplishments rather than take all the credit and compensation for themselves.

Considered applying for a high level job

I have been working at Broe

Pros

I read the reviews of those who have worked there and was appaled. I'd no sooner apply for a position with that firm than I would wish to spend eternity in hell. Life is to short to be miserable every day. Good grief. I once worked for a company that had a culture and hostile working environment like that described for BROE. It got to the point where I would get physically ill when I had to go into work. Not the way to live.

Cons

Well since I've been told that my "dowsides" to working at BROE can not be the same as my "upsides," than all I can say is that you should re-review my "upsides" to understand where I stand on the "downsides."

Get a grip.

Vile

I worked at Broe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If there is a hell, Mr Broe's evil butt will surely burn - hopefully very SLOOWLY

Cons

Dysfunctional, petty, criminal, hostile, reactionary.

what's the point?

The worst place to work ever!

I worked at Broe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Financially strong company, nice location in Cherry Creek, good leftovers from company hosted events, nice neighborhoods to walk around in during your lunch break

Cons

The most negative place I have ever worked at! There are very, very few nice people at this company. The employees are rude and combative to those inside and outside the company. Backstabbers are everywhere; there is no one you can trust. Totally unappreciated and overworked. My recommendation--look elsewhere!

Take a close look at what is going on right in front of you.

Abusive and difficult executive management

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No one can argue against the fact that the CEO is a smart man with lots of business savvy. His company makes money and they actually pay their employees on time. That's the only pro I can think of.

Cons

If one is unfortunate enough to work on the executive floor, they need to wear earplugs to escape the screamed abuses. Mr. Broe is a very powerful and unpleasant man to say the least. Even the most skilled and stoic EAs crumble beneath his demands for long work hours and insults. Obviously this is a company-wide culture issue. The Broe Group is not a nice company to work for. Sure, you make money. Is it worth the monetary gain for having all self-worth thrown into the trash?

Start being decent human beings.

Find another job - you'll be better off in the long run.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Creek East, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Creek East, CO

I worked at Broe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An environmental that creates lots of opportunities if you happen to hit the right project at the right time. Just be aware that if you are in any type of ongoing operational position, it will be very short lived because at some point Broe will decide you are not needed. This organization survives by bottom feeding individual deals, not operating smart for the long term.

Cons

Broe and a couple of henchmen create a culture of internal distrust that destroy all who work there. None of them could survive outside of this environment, yet are a cancer that supports this sick beast.. Micro management is just the tip of the iceberg that covers internal blame games as opposed to training and operational growth that would allow employees to prosper and benefit the organization.

Try to share some of your supposed knowledge rather than sending people out of your office in tears. Just because you are load and bullying, does not mean you are always right or have the only answer.