Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

brps.com

James L Sandner

Trickle-down miserable environment

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office, nice location. Offer some classes and continuing education opportunities.

Cons

Upper management mistreats middle-management which trickles down to everyone else in the form of misery, pettiness, and lack of trust. Minimal raises, no bonuses for most employees, this company is CHEAP. They want want top employees but aren't willing to pay for them, so you get people working there who come in, do their job, keep their head down, and are waiting by the door to leave at the end of the day. They don't try to develop some of the talented people they already have. VERY dichotomous environment. Lots of gossip.

CEO needs to retire (he creates an emotionally toxic workplace environment), nepotism needs to end, and then maybe management can do their jobs & not have to operate out of fear. Trust people to do their jobs, stop micromanaging, and develop your existing talent. And start hiring people who are actually passionate about their careers.

Great Work Enviornment

Current Employee - Sales Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

friendly co workers, always willing to help when you have any questions, everyone wants each other to do well

Cons

some times my co workers give me a hard time since I am a lot younger than them

Made for TV Reality Show in the making

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is nothing Pro to enter here.

Cons

Grown thick skin, put on your blinders and learn to be submissive, head down and work harder than you ever worked in your life, its the only way to survive here.

CEO needs to retire and let the company grow, this business would most likely double if he retired. Get a real CFO to run it not one of his family members and watch it grow.

Beware! Glossy veneer hides seething dysfucntion.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start learning the inner-workings of the insurance industry; very proactive in training and certifying employees in various insurance qualifications. Awesome downtown location in the Loop; easy to commute to and from by train, modern skyscraper building, nice office.

Cons

Management is incompetent and does not clearly communicate goals and objectives. Employees who work hard are taken advantage of by being assigned an overload of tasks and responsibilities. Co-workers take part in catty, backstabbing behaviors that start from the top down that isolate people from one another. The flow of knowledge between experienced employees and those just beginning was an ever-more-confusing maze that is met with hostility from those being asked to train the newcomer. The HR Dept. wasn't too bad while I was working here, but then the HR Manager was fired. Regarding the treatment of employees, this company is like a horse that can be led to water but not forced to drink. This is reinforced by the constant turnover of personnel, where the company would rather hire someone new that they think will be more productive instead of invest in an employee to develop them for the long-term. Even my own manager was fired not much longer after I was let go.

Stop trying to cut corners with your company to save a buck here and there. Spend the time and resources necessary to develop a positive work environment that fosters the "family business" mentality you spout off about so much. Quit berating and micro-managing your own upper-management personnel. This attitude then trickles down to the rest of the company and creates the dysfunctional environment that currently exists.

Horrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company will pay for employees' designations/higher education

Cons

Nepotism at its finest. Upper management likes to micro-manage employees and rarely listen to any work complaints. Work is piled onto employees with no recognition or compensation for a job well done. Managers are ALWAYS behind on giving annual reviews. The CEO is greedy and full of himself. Biggest negative environment I've ever experienced.

Change your ways and policies completely.

At the very least, I learned how to deal with temper tantrums.

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits and vacation time are more than fair.

Cons

My boss pretty much refused to speak to me directly. Orders, assignments, etc were always given through a third party (not always the same person). Which created a great deal of confusion. And the "lack of communication" was somehow my problem. I wasn't even allowed to email this person directly! Additionally, I was often shuffled from department to department, company to company. The "we're a family business" pride is very misleading. They do not treat employees kindly at all.

Your employees have families and lives of their own!

Worked for Risk Placement Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fair vacation time. A few fair people but not many.

Cons

Can receive great review but still no raise. Lots of bullies.

Pay attention to your people. Lots of great folks work for Risk Placement Services but are not recognized because they are not "family".

Don't be fooled by the owner's charm. He's not what he appears to be when you meet him

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

Pros

Good downtown location, and if you can put up with being constantly berated, it's a good place to learn the insurance business

Cons

The owner is a person who is so full of himself, it's pathetic. He is always looking for someone to ridicule in front of everyone. The turnover at this place is incredible, and this is a place to avoid working for at all costs. I was so anxious to leave this place that I left without a job to go to. Best thing I ever did.

Sell the business to someone who treats people with respect and dignity. You sure don't.

Toxic, best avoided. Some good talent but owner/CEO and family are bad, bad news.

Former Employee - Executive Level in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Level in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

Pros

Salary. Interesting business. Good career path for insurance pros if you can stay long enough.

Cons

Horrible leadership at the top micromanages and berates executive and management levels, revolving door, promotions are political. Not now but previous HR tried hard to improve, an almost impossible task as CEO wants to be petty and mean to save a buck.

Retire. Pray. Have your daughter go elsewhere, she's turning into you.

Run, don't walk, away from this company

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

Pros

Great location, fair salary and benefits

Cons

You will feel like you are stuck in the 80's in this poorly run family-owned company. I should have immediately realized that there was an issue when I found they had a full-time recruiter on site, this for a company of approximately 80 employees. It was a constant revolving door the entire time I was there. I have never worked in a more perfectly dysfunctional environment in my life. Do yourself a favor, and don't even be tempted by an interview. It is not as it appears on the surface, and there is MUCH better out there.

Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. Photos