Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.
brps.com Chicago, IL 50 to 149 Employees

Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James L Sandner

Beware! Glossy veneer hides seething dysfucntion.

Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to start learning the inner-workings of the insurance industry; very proactive in training and certifying employees in various insurance qualifications. Awesome downtown location in the Loop; easy to commute to and from by train, modern skyscraper building, nice office.

ConsManagement is incompetent and does not clearly communicate goals and objectives. Employees who work hard are taken advantage of by being assigned an overload of tasks and responsibilities. Co-workers take part in catty, backstabbing behaviors that start from the top down that isolate people from one another. The flow of knowledge between experienced employees and those just beginning was an ever-more-confusing maze that is met with hostility from those being asked to train the newcomer. The HR Dept. wasn't too bad while I was working here, but then the HR Manager was fired. Regarding the treatment of employees, this company is like a horse that can be led to water but not forced to drink. This is reinforced by the constant turnover of personnel, where the company would rather hire someone new that they think will be more productive instead of invest in an employee to develop them for the long-term. Even my own manager was fired not much longer after I was let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to cut corners with your company to save a buck here and there. Spend the time and resources necessary to develop a positive work environment that fosters the "family business" mentality you spout off about so much. Quit berating and micro-managing your own upper-management personnel. This attitude then trickles down to the rest of the company and creates the dysfunctional environment that currently exists.

At the very least, I learned how to deal with temper tantrums.

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time

ProsBenefits and vacation time are more than fair.

ConsMy boss pretty much refused to speak to me directly. Orders, assignments, etc were always given through a third party (not always the same person). Which created a great deal of confusion. And the "lack of communication" was somehow my problem. I wasn't even allowed to email this person directly! Additionally, I was often shuffled from department to department, company to company. The "we're a family business" pride is very misleading. They do not treat employees kindly at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees have families and lives of their own!

Worked for Risk Placement Services

Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFair vacation time. A few fair people but not many.

ConsCan receive great review but still no raise. Lots of bullies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your people. Lots of great folks work for Risk Placement Services but are not recognized because they are not "family".

Don't be fooled by the owner's charm. He's not what he appears to be when you meet him

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

ProsGood downtown location, and if you can put up with being constantly berated, it's a good place to learn the insurance business

ConsThe owner is a person who is so full of himself, it's pathetic. He is always looking for someone to ridicule in front of everyone. The turnover at this place is incredible, and this is a place to avoid working for at all costs. I was so anxious to leave this place that I left without a job to go to. Best thing I ever did.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the business to someone who treats people with respect and dignity. You sure don't.

Toxic, best avoided. Some good talent but owner/CEO and family are bad, bad news.

Executive Level (Former Employee)

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

ProsSalary. Interesting business. Good career path for insurance pros if you can stay long enough.

ConsHorrible leadership at the top micromanages and berates executive and management levels, revolving door, promotions are political. Not now but previous HR tried hard to improve, an almost impossible task as CEO wants to be petty and mean to save a buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Pray. Have your daughter go elsewhere, she's turning into you.

Run, don't walk, away from this company

I worked at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.

ProsGreat location, fair salary and benefits

ConsYou will feel like you are stuck in the 80's in this poorly run family-owned company. I should have immediately realized that there was an issue when I found they had a full-time recruiter on site, this for a company of approximately 80 employees. It was a constant revolving door the entire time I was there. I have never worked in a more perfectly dysfunctional environment in my life. Do yourself a favor, and don't even be tempted by an interview. It is not as it appears on the surface, and there is MUCH better out there.

Worked for Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. CEO James L Sandner. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Brokers' Risk Placement Service, Inc. employees.