Bronto Software

Best place I've worked.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Transparency (from upper and lower management), fun culture, and intelligent, capable people are why I enjoy working here so much. I genuinely look forward to work every day, and feel satisfied with what I and my team accomplished when I go home. Everyone here feels like a friend and has a good time while producing with quality. There isn't pressure to just "meet the numbers", but plenty of encouragement to love what you're doing and care about doing it well.

*I am giving all 5 stars in my ratings, and I hope those who read this review will believe me when I say that I could not in good conscience give less in any of the categories, though I wanted to just to make the review less monochromatic. This is simply a great company!

Cons

None really to speak of. Every company has its days, but on the whole I would struggle to find anything that Bronto lacks. The company is growing, so it's a little harder than it used to be to stay in touch with all parts of the organization, but the leadership here prioritizes that constantly - and tells us so - and executes well.

Don't let the contact with upper management die, even as we continue to grow. Maintain the work-life balance and culture.

The best company I have worked for!

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Executive Management is involved in the day to day operations and promotes a culture of transparency. You know where you stand with your position and areas where you can improve.

Cons

It's a young company and there is a lot asked of you. But on the flip side there is a lot that is provided for you as well!

Keep the focus and maintain the culture...this is a great ride!

Genuinely enjoyed my time at Bronto

Former Employee - Sales in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Durham, NC

I worked at Bronto Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful work space, they put a lot into making the office environment one that people would enjoy spending their time in. CEO/COO genuinely care about the employees and are both brilliant & worthy of your trust. Product is great. They've created an environment of openness & transparency.

Cons

Not all managers match up to the company values that the owners established, but that happens everywhere.

Great overall working experience

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Besides the physical environment, which is awesome. My experience here has been excellent. The people have been great to work, pay is very competitive and the leadership has a clear direction a truly live by the company values

Cons

Only real con is the drive in from Raleigh, but the parking situation is excellent and there are a number of different ways to get here which helps.

Playground for 20 somethings and those that want to act like it

I worked at Bronto Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free beer, some few good people

Cons

Unprofessional, stupid ra ra things, basically everything you read in the negative reviews is true. Benefits are terrible for example they tell you they have 401k but don't tell you it's a 2% match OVER 5 years. % year vesting for a measly 2%? Really? Medical is very basic and expensive, raises are minimal and as was always said in other reviews, Bonuses were NEVER paid out even close to what was promised, yet they had money for beer and community programs and spending a fortune on things the 2 owners liked . They treat employees like 20 year olds who don't know any better, and that's the only people that could be happy there. Those or washed up people who don't think the economy came back and are still working for crappy pay and benefits.Any entry level job at a Cisco or ANYWHERE else would pay $10-20k more and have benefits that make Bronto's look as poor as they are And yes, as other reviewers said, the politics are brutal. If you're one of the ones that are liked and ra ra everything the incompetent owners and managers say, then you're fine. By now there is no chance they will sell as the issues with their quality and software and one dimensional nature of their products is well known and they have been eclipsed by every other competitor in their area, so don't count on making money from being bought or going public. They've been promising that for 5 years. Who ever is saying positive things must be people that have never been to a well run company that cares for it's employees or it's HR trying to outweigh the bad honest reviews.

Just quit, you're pathetic.

Good first job.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Bronto Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free beer on Fridays and the gym membership. Great office location on American Tobacco campus. Durham bulls games are fun.

Cons

Projects are not clearly defined and stakeholders usually got the position because they can cheer with the best of them. A complete social scene. If you are not in the "ra ra Bronto" club, you will never go anywhere. You are forced to be fake and plastic by supporting very bug laiden software that has more 'hacks' than clean code.

The owners need to realize that they are software engineers and not business professionals...much less business executives who can provide vision and leadership. They need to hire executive management who can run the business like a business and not some ad hoc assembly of fraternity brothers.

Interesting/Challenging work in a relaxed environment

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No MICRO-MANAGING :)
    Everyone is respected, and expected to do their work and contribute to their fullest potential.
    Management is very transparent and approachable.
    So many companies say they are transparent, but aren't. Say they value their employees, but don't.
    It's really nice to have someone say that something is going to happen, and that have that thing happen.

Cons

The 10% bonus plan isn't a reality. As a hard worker, when you hear "you will be eligible for a 10% bonus" you assume you will reach it/receive it.
    There is some complicated equation and the 10% turns into a lower amount. It's a small thing as there are many other perks, it would just have been nice to know all the details during the interviewing process.

Keep living the values. It's when management stops walking the walk that companies get in to trouble, IMHO.

Bronto provides lots of freedom, a fun environment, and opportunities to work hard.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Durham, NC

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy the freedom. Within my role, I have the opportunity to make it my own and form it into any variety that I most enjoy or into a type that I notice a need for. The office is a very comfortable environment and has lots of opportunities for physical activity in the area, like the YMCA, basketball court, and nice areas to take walks.

Cons

In short, I think communication within and around Engineering could be improved. There are benefits to not bogging down a department with process and the department currently holds a great practical balance around documentation, but I feel Bronto could benefit greatly by defining some standards and applying some small processes within the Engineering department to radiate information and to decrease misconceptions about the current development process. Specifically, I think the relationship between software engineers and QA would greatly improve in addition to increasing external visibility into the development progress. For example, if what triggers deployments to staging and to production were more clearly defined, all teams within the company would have a shared understanding of the reason for each type of deployment and would be able to speak the same language when discussing them .

Co-located departments and teams would really help communication and collaboration between folks in Engineering. I understand this is a current initiative, but it doesn't hurt to emphasize the benefits that will come from having everyone in the department be able to interact more freely.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Product in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Product in Durham, NC

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bronto provides a warm and inviting culture built on openness and collaboration that makes working here a blast. I always feel like my opinion is important and will be heard, and that I have the full support of my team. And the office space is very cool!

Cons

I've only worked here three months but so far I have no complaints!

Best decision I've made!

I have been working at Bronto Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bronto is as devoted to its employees as it is to its customers. Truly a pleasure to come to work everyday. There is clear commitment to company values, performance, training and work-life balance here.

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Continue efforts to ensure everyone understands what other groups are working on and developing. Interdepartmental communication is vital as the company continues to grow at this pace.