Brook Street

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles Ashworth

Assistant to the Executive Team in a Central London Global Energy Company

Assistant to the Executive Team (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Brook Street part-time for less than a year

ProsThey treat people with fairness, respect and decency.
They help employees develop their potential.
They look after the environment and they are ethical.

ConsMay be could consider work life balance better and review investment policies in certain locations in Africa.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Company has a fantastic reputation, but in the past 18 months there have been some profit warnings so things have not been so good.

We need Leaders who are inspired, have vision and are decisive to effectively manage the company. Have we lost our way?

Instead of cost cutting and redundancies.

Doncaster Brook street the worst place to go

Executive Officer (Current Employee)
Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Brook Street as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNothing!!! Nothing they do is positive

ConsThey explain nothing and then write rude emails!!! no manners...just a group of common muck trying to be professional.

Never, Never again! What a terrible experience! Avoid this company, especially the Social Care division!

Temps Controller (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Brook Street full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked at BS Social Care full-time back in 2010.
- Great atmosphere all around, some smart people to work with and a very positive and welcoming environment initially.
- You get trained for a few weeks, and then continually have in-house training sessions to help you grow and understand the market and the position eventually.
- Regional & National competitions that had reasonable cash rewards.
- Constant communication with colleagues from other branches.
- Recognition from everyone for your achievements.

Cons- Not keeping up with the ever changing market. Stuck in the dark ages of recruitment.
- Expected to start at 7-7.30am in the morning and sometimes finish at 5-6pm, if you leave earlier, you are made out to be average or lacking commitment.
- Bad practices by some management, sometimes placing clients at risk without their knowledge, such as sending unqualified staff to clients for qualified roles!
- One member of senior management at the time I was there was intimidating and forced resignations to make it seem that trainees could not 'hack it'.
- Talked down to by some members of management, not inspiring at all.
- Discretionary bonus scheme, for Temps Consultants - an absolutely APPALLING practice.
- Attrition rates are ridiculous, with some staff resigning at 3-6 month barrier.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease ensure your senior management are inspirational; not neurotic power hungry egomaniacs!

Very old fashioned

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Brook Street full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people in branches and some good divisional managers who look after their teams .

ConsPoor leadership, little innovation, poor salaries at branch level, no succession planning, like many high street agencies service treated as a numbers game so number of calls more important than quality. Candidate experience can be very poor

No work-life balance at all

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)
Haringey, England (UK)

I worked at Brook Street full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good training and potential for career progression

ConsVery Long hours daily, no flexibility at all, compulsory week long residential training, intimidating manager

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2012 some degree of flexibility is compulsory in every organisation now.
Occasional long hours are inevitable however daily 10-12 hour rounds without overtime or day in leiu is extortion.

A great place to start your career

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Brook Street full-time

Pros-Great atmosphere all around, great people to work with and a very positive and welcoming environment.
-You get trained for a week, and then continually have training sessions to help you grow and understand the market and the position a bit more.
-Nationwide competitions that have good £ rewards.
-Constant communication with colleagues from other branches.
-Great recognition from everyone for your achievements.
-Management is open to hearing suggestions.
-You can run your own desk without being micro-managed, and are welcome to explore new ways of doing things.

Cons-Not evolving with the ever changing market. Stuck in the dark ages of recruitment. Up to the end of 2011, still didn't even know about the existence of LinkedIn, or any other tool apart from Monster and TotalJobs.
-You can move around in the company, but cannot easily move up.
-Not specialised recruitment. You are welcomed to target any clients, in any industries for any positions you want or can. It doesn't give you a great base of knowledge to stand on, and you have to make things up as you go along.
-They make you go to training to other cities for one day every month, but sometimes they send you to the wrong training sessions (sessions you've already had), and it becomes a massive waste of your time.

Great training, good salary + commission; offering excellent prospects

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Brook Street full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTraining, nurturing offering the ability to forge good career prospects

ConsFlat management structure, therefore little room to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your top performers

A slow and painful decline

Trainer (Former Employee)
Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Brook Street full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a fantastic atmosphere amongst most of the staff and the company is small enough to have a family feel. There is a good opportunity to learn the industry for Consultants, and because of a relativly high turnover also room for progression.

ConsThe business is being run into the ground because it can't move quickly enough to keep up with the market. The website is terribly out of date, Linked In has only just appeared on their radar and the senior managers are not reacting to the needs of their customers. Most disappointing is an inability to listen to the talent advice from within the organisation in favour of sticking with the advice of a few old and trusted heads. Various initiatives have been employed to improve employee engagement but ultimately, nothing changes.

The company has been in a spiral of decline for the past 5 years posting lower and lower profits whilst continuing to engage in heavy branch closures and redundancies. This has included the closure of the training department. In the past, Brook Street's training was regarded as some of the best in the industry and now it's being performed reluctantly by a few Regional Manager alongside their normal role.

Performance targets are also well out of date being based on pre-recession business and consequently bonus is very difficult to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrook Street, it's time to wake up! Recruitment is not the same as it was 20 years ago when your Directors started.

Worked for Brook Street? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brook Street reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brook Street CEO Charles Ashworth. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Brook Street employees.