Brook Street

Add Photos

Charles Ashworth

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Assistant to the Executive Team in a Central London Global Energy Company

Assistant to the Executive Team (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThey treat people with fairness, respect and decency.
    They help employees develop their potential.
    They look after the environment and they are ethical.

ConsMay be could consider work life balance better and review investment policies in certain locations in Africa.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Company has a fantastic reputation, but in the past 18 months there have been some profit warnings so things have not been so good.

We need Leaders who are inspired, have vision and are decisive to effectively manage the company. Have we lost our way?

Instead of cost cutting and redundancies.

Mixed bag

Administrative (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, but ultimately professional no help at all

ConsNo employee support at all
    No advice or help
    Very slow / non existent at replying to emails and calls
    Have tried to not pay me on three occasions claiming they had not received my time sheet - had to prove i had sent it
    Once messed up my pay and insisted there was nothing they could do to correct it, and never did reimburse me for the few pounds that I was short (only about 5 pounds but refused to cough up)
    Frequently change timesheet deadlines with no notice

Advice to Senior ManagementJust read the above and invest in staff training

Doncaster Brook street the worst place to go

Executive Officer (Current Employee)
    Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsNothing!!! Nothing they do is positive

ConsThey explain nothing and then write rude emails!!! no manners...just a group of common muck trying to be professional.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never, Never again! What a terrible experience! Avoid this company, especially the Social Care division!

Temps Controller (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI worked at BS Social Care full-time back in 2010.
    - Great atmosphere all around, some smart people to work with and a very positive and welcoming environment initially.
    - You get trained for a few weeks, and then continually have in-house training sessions to help you grow and understand the market and the position eventually.
    - Regional & National competitions that had reasonable cash rewards.
    - Constant communication with colleagues from other branches.
    - Recognition from everyone for your achievements.

Cons- Not keeping up with the ever changing market. Stuck in the dark ages of recruitment.
    - Expected to start at 7-7.30am in the morning and sometimes finish at 5-6pm, if you leave earlier, you are made out to be average or lacking commitment.
    - Bad practices by some management, sometimes placing clients at risk without their knowledge, such as sending unqualified staff to clients for qualified roles!
    - One member of senior management at the time I was there was intimidating and forced resignations to make it seem that trainees could not 'hack it'.
    - Talked down to by some members of management, not inspiring at all.
    - Discretionary bonus scheme, for Temps Consultants - an absolutely APPALLING practice.
    - Attrition rates are ridiculous, with some staff resigning at 3-6 month barrier.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease ensure your senior management are inspirational; not neurotic power hungry egomaniacs!

Very old fashioned

Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsSome great people in branches and some good divisional managers who look after their teams .

ConsPoor leadership, little innovation, poor salaries at branch level, no succession planning, like many high street agencies service treated as a numbers game so number of calls more important than quality. Candidate experience can be very poor

No work-life balance at all

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)
    Haringey, England (UK)

ProsVery good training and potential for career progression

ConsVery Long hours daily, no flexibility at all, compulsory week long residential training, intimidating manager

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2012 some degree of flexibility is compulsory in every organisation now.
    Occasional long hours are inevitable however daily 10-12 hour rounds without overtime or day in leiu is extortion.

Great training, good salary + commission; offering excellent prospects

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Cheltenham, England (UK)

ProsTraining, nurturing offering the ability to forge good career prospects

ConsFlat management structure, therefore little room to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your top performers

A slow and painful decline

Trainer (Former Employee)
    Luton, East of England, England (UK)

ProsThere is a fantastic atmosphere amongst most of the staff and the company is small enough to have a family feel. There is a good opportunity to learn the industry for Consultants, and because of a relativly high turnover also room for progression.

ConsThe business is being run into the ground because it can't move quickly enough to keep up with the market. The website is terribly out of date, Linked In has only just appeared on their radar and the senior managers are not reacting to the needs of their customers. Most disappointing is an inability to listen to the talent advice from within the organisation in favour of sticking with the advice of a few old and trusted heads. Various initiatives have been employed to improve employee engagement but ultimately, nothing changes.

The company has been in a spiral of decline for the past 5 years posting lower and lower profits whilst continuing to engage in heavy branch closures and redundancies. This has included the closure of the training department. In the past, Brook Street's training was regarded as some of the best in the industry and now it's being performed reluctantly by a few Regional Manager alongside their normal role.

Performance targets are also well out of date being based on pre-recession business and consequently bonus is very difficult to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrook Street, it's time to wake up! Recruitment is not the same as it was 20 years ago when your Directors started.

Best of a bad bunch?

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsAbove average training for the industry, certainly worthwhile for someone entering recruitment. Nationwide network makes it easy to transfer around the country if you need to.

ConsPoor management at branch and regional level. Aggression rather than capability seems to be the qualifier for management. Favouritism, cliques and bullying are rife.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart managing people not numbers - or if you're going to stick to numbers manage ones that matter rather than bizarre ratios that encourage lying and manipulation rather than increase revenues and profit.. Recognise talent and success, coach underperformers.

Worked for Brook Street? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brook Street reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brook Street CEO Charles Ashworth. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Brook Street employees.