Brookdale Senior Living
www.brookdaleliving.com Brentwood, TN 5000+ Employees

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros:
  • "Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The residents are mostly great people to work with, it was a nice to see many happy faces every day with a smile"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Regional management are vindictive and always looking for the negative in the staff"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Director of nursing (ISC)

Director of Nursing ( ISC) (Former Employee)
    Raymore, MO

ProsHave great benefits and it is nice to work with residents

ConsUpper management does not want to deal with lower management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and be more involved and include more training

Company doesnt practice what they preach.

DSM (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsSome of the best reasons are the residents. Its a wonderful feeling when you can contribute something positive to them.

ConsNot being able to do everything thats required. Lot of turnover, Too much C YB(cover your butt) from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility, do what you say you'll do, and give a hand up to those that deserve or ask for it instead of putdowns.

So Rewarding to see smiles on my residents faces

Sic, Mt (Current Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsThis is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world u have to have the heart to work with some residents and the understanding to work in assisted living facility. Everyone I work with works together as on to make sure the residents are receiving the best possible care I wouldn't trade my job for the world.

ConsSometimes we're short staffed but what place isn't??

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Training is inadequate. Leadership is unimpressive.

ProsGood community. Decent Pay. Ok benefits package. Nice people.

ConsLots of work with not as good of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse positive feedback for employees vs. Passive aggressiveness.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work as a CNA. The residents and the employees were truly valued at the location where I worked. It seemed like the type of facility I would want my family members to be placed. Most of the employees were great to work with and everyone truly had the residents best interest in mind. The facility was clean and well cared for.

ConsOccasionally short staffed. However I cannot say that was the norm.

Health and Wellness Director - Day-to-day clinical management of Assisted Living Program and Staff

Health and Wellness Director (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI have a strong sense of teamwork and embrace working with other departments wholeheartedly, all while maintaining a positive attitude towards interdepartmental coordination and preserving the best interests of the residents. I desire to continue my career in in a role that delivers high quality patient care; ensuring that the emotional, physical, psychological, and safety-based needs of residents are met.

ConsIt is very sales and marketing driven being that AL is private pay. Marketing can be pushy and not always have the best interest of the resident in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Busy with 24 hour on call, lots of reports, training working on floor

Health and Wellness Director (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsBenefits, ability to advance, staff was nice loved my regional nurse nice surroundings, loved my residents and families

ConsToo many reports need RN assistant poor communication with management limited diversity in upper management. Management team did not work well together at times talked about each other. long meetings

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

High turnover

LVN (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have a good management team at your property you will get far

ConsHigher up's are generally focused on numbers. as much as it is about the residents, theres a bigger focus on numbers

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level management should be required to work the floor in at least the 4 proceeding positions before being allowed to send down changes

a positive attitude, patience, and perseverance, can be the difference between success and failure

ProsMany of the workers are truly good caring people. Health Insurance benefits are fairly okay if you are hired full-time.

ConsWork can be emotionally stressful at times. Very low pay makes it difficult to obtain employees and regular employee turnover keeps people from staying due to burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are are every company's greatest asset and the quality of investment in the employees will be reflected in the overall success of the business. Investing in the employees and seeking to improve work conditions would boost morale. Bringing the facility technologically up to date, having CNA certification mandatory, provide employees on break a private area away from the work to re-energize and recoup a little without the worry of interruption, having a Nurse (LPN or RN) present on each shift (even if for just a few hours) would help improve patient care levels. Having the LPN's work the medication carts one shift a month would provide them the opportunity to evaluate and make any adjustments where necessary.

It was okay

ProsFlexible and good work-life balance

ConsLow Pay and no good benefits

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brookdale Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brookdale Senior Living CEO T. Andrew Smith. All 356 reviews posted anonymously by Brookdale Senior Living employees.