Brookdale Senior Living

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 13 reviews)

• Get to make a difference in the lives of the elderly every day (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities (in 28 reviews)

• There is little to no job security and they operate mainly on fear (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

job

Former Employee - Cook  in  Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Cook in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

it is a great company

Cons

the gossip like any job

they know vwhat they are doing

Don't work here!!!! Please!they don't care about their residents or their employees

Current Employee - Server/Housekeeping  in  Sun City, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Housekeeping in Sun City, AZ

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The seniors are the only reason I worked there as long as I did

Cons

U are worked like a second class citizen...u have to jump through hoops to make them happy...if you earn paid time off which you are entitled to, you have to get permission from more than one person to have that time off.they ignore the seniors and they are rude to their grievances.at this very present moment I am suspended for something I didn't do and something they have no proof of.I can't get a hold of them because I am trying to ask if my PTO is being used while they do their stupid investigation and they keep hanging or or not responding to anything..my supervisor is a liar and no matter how much of a total pig he is or how inappropriate his actions are, Brookdale defend their own as far as upper management.to make matters worse all they do is micromanage everyone and the whole business is based on a lie.

upper management at Brookdale Senior Living clearly received their degrees in management from a cereal box. There is absolutely no integrity at brookdale senior living..at least not the one at Sun City West

Love the residents, unhappy with employer

Current Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Resident relationship, nice property, residents

Cons

Micromanaged, poor compensation, poor management

Let me do my job!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LPN

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always work available. I was able to work on a long term care unit in our facility. The ability to work together and keep the patient first made it all worth while.

Cons

The use of registry was at times hard and it put our patients in the cross hairs. That being said, some of the registry folks were just there for a pay check.

I love the facility and the principal behind the company. Trying to get a job again, this time in Dallas, Please hook me up~~~

Great training program, poor community resources and funding

Former Employee - Business Office Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Office Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed my team, the caregivers, and residents.

Cons

Disliked the maintenance of the community. Absolutely no budget, so most things are broken.

invest more in your community maintenance. Doesnt compete with Sunrise Senior Living.

excellent company

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great management. For a for profit publicly traded company, they do a great job putting residents first. The company is focused on putting the needs of families and seniors first

Cons

It is a for-profit company with many ambitious goals . Many people that don't understand corporate America may not be a good fit for this company. It is not a mom and pop operation. There are executives and shareholders that need to be pleased as well.

Love the Residents, just disappointed with Level of Care

Former Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Residents and their families

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, promised Bonuses not received. R.A's took care of the residents, not HWD, RCC or ED. It was all about numbers. Some residents needed more care than we could provide them, but Management did not want to take staff advice. Staff bullying in the workplace,always afraid for your job. Dishonesty of management to cover themselves and not support their employees, especially when we deal with the residents and their families everyday. Be honest with the families instead of being dishonest, the Cornerstone is for show, and the Residents rights are not respected. When managers feel the need to degrade, humiliate and curse at you in front of residents and your coworkers, instead of discussing matters behind closed doors and you decide to call Corporate, kiss your job good bye. Coworkers who have tenure will back up management and are allowed to decide in whether a coworker should stay or be terminated. Residents are aware of when employees are in trouble because of inside resources discussing employee Disciplinary Actions.

Listen to your Employees working hands on with the residents. We care about them very much and it saddens us when Management does not listen to their employees. Please keep employee Disciplinary Action between the employee and management, dealing with such actions.

Positive experiences with the residents, and coworkers, but not with the managers.

Current Employee - Resident Care Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Resident Care Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good atmosphere. Residents love living there. Very positive experiences for the resident only.

Cons

Managers give staff more responsibilities and work that previous other departments don't want to do. More stress and burnout for the employees. Residents needs should be more important than trying to get everything else done and on top.

Please give the staff/employees a break once in awhile. Make them feel more appreciated. And quit putting more responsibilities and work on an individual staff member and hire more people, spread out the job duties evenly, and quit stressing out your employees.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!