www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.8

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Endless opportunities to impact the lives of others

Current Employee - Recruiter in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of being a member of the Brookdale family is having the opportunity to serve others and enhance the quality of life of our residents.

Cons

It took a while to be promoted, but once I received a promotion, I began to discover my true purpose at Brookdale.

Continue hosting the open forums and company wide update sessions

They are all about the money.

Former Employee - Business Office Manager
    Former Employee - Business Office Manager

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Anytime you can help the elderly, you are doing a great thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, this company only wants to help themselves.

Always be there to support your Communities in every way possible. Stand by your Managers.

Great Company During Emeritus Transition!

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The held strong communication throughout the merger with Emeritus and offered several trainings. They also sent people from their company to visit our communities and start to build that connection with their new staff and residents.

Cons

The process of the merger took quite awhile, which was something I don't think they could have controlled. They also re branded everything before they changed all the systems used.

Great experience working for Brookdale.

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

They were very flexible with my schedule since I was in school full-time and working part-time. Everyone I worked with was very nice. It felt a lot like a family.

Cons

I have worked for them for almost 2 years and I have not received a raise in pay.

Former Relgistered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the patients and families. Very clean facility, patient care directed. Good director for the Memory Care Unit.

Cons

Pay and Benefits, Clicky co workers

A company that practices what it preaches.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work at a Brookdale corporate office and I love it. I am exposed to Brookdale’s senior leadership and they are genuine people that care about others. That is very refreshing in today’s world. They ask your opinion and are willing to hear the good and the bad, and then go the extra step to do something about it. I am also a customer of Brookdale as my own family members have lived in Brookdale communities. I would recommend Brookdale as a place to work or live.

Cons

I have no cons, I am very happy working for Brookdale.

Please continue to value company culture.

8 years strong...

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Excellent company culture. Puts residents first. As an employee, I feel I am able to achieve a great work/life balance. Company missions and cornerstones are extremely important througout the hiring process to ensure we are making the right choices for the residents we serve.

Cons

Would love it if we offered part time benefits.

Allows me to have flexibility and work with people who care about others.

Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter
    Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I like working at Brookdale because I feel I have the ability to share my ideas, have flexibility, and it allows me to help others.

Cons

I have to be disciplined to create the work-life balance. I work from home so I tend to work more than I should because I want to be sure to support everyone that is depending on me to do a job for them. I do this to myself, not Brookdale.

The management I work with is great. They are always open to my ideas and suggestions.

Happy, Supported and Celebrating at Brookdale

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Although fairly new to Brookdale, I can honestly say my experience here has been an incredible so far. One of the first positive experiences I had was witnessing some amazing team collaboration directly following the merger with legacy Emeritus. It is extremely exciting knowing that you’re part of the biggest senior living company in the world at one of the most critical moments in its history. I am happy to say that I’m truly growing in my professional journey, able to access programs to help me succeed and have supportive and motivating mentors to help me grow. Brookdale embraces their “celebrate life every day” mantra, genuinely valuing associates’ work-life balance and caring for their overall well being. Aside from the fun holiday team celebrations and contests, associates know they matter and make a huge impact (whether indirectly or directly) on the residents we serve every day.

Cons

Leadership Foundations, which was an open forum with company leaders including our CEO, was really helpful in understanding the company’s direction and maintaining transparency. That said, although they have internal communications programs and initiatives, I wish they still had the program.

My only advice is to keep doing what you're doing.

We receive weekly messages of celebration and encouragement from our team leaders. My supervisor has presented several learning opportunities for me as well. During Leadership Foundations I had the opportunity to hear from our executive leaders on where the company has been and where it’s going. When the CEO said, “We’re a $5 billion start-up,” it really resonated with me. We are taking an innovative approach by providing senior care solutions for the rapidly growing aging population. That’s a pretty big deal. I also loved how he mentioned that he has a service approach to leadership. It may be his quiet nature, but Andy Smith does seem to be a humble listener, who really does live out this approach.

RCA in NC

Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Smithfield, NC
    Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Smithfield, NC

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Residents-Benefits-Genuinely Care about the Quality of Residents Care-Opportunity to Grow in Company.

Cons

Short Training Time-If you have to call out due to medical and your not even able to drive, they will try and guilt trip.

I would suggest if an employee has to call out for medical...do not pick and choose what diagnosis you find acceptable. I loved working there, however, I had to take care of my medical as well.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos