www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.7

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome job, awesome company

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everything is a "Pro" in this company with the exception of "Cons" listed below.

Cons

Previous Executive Directors were great to work with except my last one who was a big hiring mistake. Should have never been hired based on not being a person that would fit into the Brookdale culture. This person was not trusted by residents or associates.

I believe in the Targeted Selection process however, this person was selected just prior to using the process. Make sure that your prospective Executive Directors fit the Brookdale culture and share the same mission, vision and values.

Tolerable, but just barely

Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Fairly good pay; very good, consistent work schedule (in the kitchen); close to home, easy access, free employee parking, cheap/no-cost employee meals, no early mornings or late nights (my job only). Very clean, safe working environment, boss understands my concern, no micro-management, team effort on everyone's part, very amicable working environment. My ED, at least, recognizes talent and rewards low-level (front-line) community level associates with goodies at employee meetings and is the best ED we've had.

Cons

Management totally frowns on overtime, even if it is needed. Low pay for some positions means only non-skilled, low or non-educated people will apply. Not too many associates at my facility speak good English and have a very thick accent. Pay raises non-existent to very slow, and nobody gets more than 2.5% per year. Non-union rules mean they squeeze every ounce of labor for every dollar they pay, and employ as few workers as possible to maximize their profits as they squeeze every penny out of every residences through as many ancillary services as possible. Very little to no room for promotion, very small, insulting raises, inadequate health care coverage for the premium cost.
      Regarding the culinary aspect in the Emeritus-to-Brookdale transition. Brookdale is trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Their menu ideas are fine for Brookdale communities, since they initiated them there, but the do not fit the Emeritus communities for several reasons. First, the entire Brookdale menu, implemented by Crandall Dieticians, means the PRD must increase by at least 25% to accommodate it. Second, the independent food and service providers required are unattainable, meaning Brookdale is forcing us to buy goods from vendors we've never heard of (ergo, Rocky Mountain Spices). Third, the food service contract by Brookdale with Sysco forces us to buy whole cases of items we used to break cases for, thereby forcing our food costs up 15% to 25% on a regular basis, and have the remaining inventory sitting idle for many months, since we may need only one #10 can of an item for a month. Additionally, many of their requests are only insurance driven and only make our job harder because many of our communities do not even have a dining staff, let alone a dining room manager. There is no way we can do the "garnish program" in the 20 minutes all our residents expect to get our meals, let alone table service. Totally unreasonable expectations with the current labor force.
      Everything Brookdale requires serves only to decrease efficiency and increase their costs, thereby shooting themselves in the foot and making our job harder.
      You cannot get anyone to work in, let alone apply for, a hard working job in the kitchen for less than $11.00 an hour, thus, we are always short staffed and are expected to do more work with less time without cutting into our required breaks.

You need to pay more to your community-level employees. Not one of our associates is worth less than $12.00 an hour, especially when Seattle has the new $15-an-hour minimum wage kicking in over the next three years. You're going to lose everybody unless you pay more (except for the salaried people making over $36,000 a year). Also, because of Obummer-care, you need to go back to First Choice Health or Aetna and dump United health care with their comically high deductible that offers NO co-pays. The merger from Emeritus to Brookdale meant that in order for me to get the same benefits as my former health plan with Aetna, I had to pay five times(!) as much, forcing me into the very high deductible bronze plan that is only good for catastrophic accidents or disabilities. This also means my doctors lose money, forcing insurance rates and doctor's costs to go up!
      You also need to alot more hours to the schedule, as we are 100% census and have minimal staffing which only hurts the residents and community-level associates in your goals of increasing profits and stock share prices. You are making money off the sweat of hard-working employees and taking advantage of old people, which does not sit well in my book. The only reason I am still working here is because the work is steady and is close to home, but not much else.

Hard work, but it was worth it too see the residents happy.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Very clean facility too work at.

Cons

Not enough worker's to cover residents, in order to get them bathed and dressed for breakfast on time.

Enjoyable and rewarding

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

At the Sales Manager level you don't have to constantly be concerned with a lot of the day to day corporate stuff your Ed has to worry about it. You can concentrate on growing relationships with families that are looking for guidance and community partners that will assist you in getting the word out on your community.

Cons

Been with the company 5 years and don't have any real gripes. I have worked for large corporate companies before that had way more day to day BS

Unfortunately some management personnel sort of fall into this line of work and not by actual design. If you don't like what you're doing, then just please leave already.

I am a medication technician.

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Want to do work in the clerical part of a job.

Cons

Have basic computer skills, and know how to write reports.

It will help me understand what it is like at the management stand point and be more responsible.

Good company but high employee turnover

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

good salary, flexible schedule,good benefits

Cons

high employee turnover, lack of orientation,poor management

Caregiver

Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Bedford, OH

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was able to work a lot hours. Residents were amazing. Clean.

Cons

Hard on feet. Not a lot of team work with co-workers. Management didn't manage well.

Better training.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lively place to work.Worked with a great group of people. Pay was competitive with the market. Some nice extra perks offered.

Cons

With emphasis on no overtime; pressure to finish work. Time off took a long time to be available.

Really like the job and the residents

Current Employee - Dining Services Director in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Dining Services Director in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

like the people I work with

Cons

do not get two days off in a row, no room for advancement, horrible compansation

good benefits

They deliver on their brand promise

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The systems they have in place are great and easy to learn. Management is stable and understanding. Online training is ongoing which is nice.

Cons

There have been a lot of changes over the last few months changes does not mean bad. Change is just different. When you have been in the same position with the same company a long time, it's just tough to get used to.

Keep up the good work!