www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers and referral sources are great to work with. Facilities are nice and easy to sell. Very gratifying work. Pay can be very good if your sales skills are good.

Cons

Lots of on-call hours and on a busy campus, it can be difficult to find a way to take time off another day to make up for the evenings and week-ends you've worked.

Good work

Current Employee - Waitstaff in LaPorte, IN
    Current Employee - Waitstaff in LaPorte, IN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a Flexible schedule and it is a good work atmosphere. I really love working this job every day.

Cons

there has been Lots of turn over in management. We have had some bad directors. Some co-workers are very annoying.

Lots of resources. Focused on revenue

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good benefits, beautiful facility and grounds

Cons

Too focused on census at times

Great people, but inefficient... corporate makes it clear you are a number, not a person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO, satisfying work, Direct resident feedback

Cons

There are few to no systems, no training, and little opportunity for advancement compared to other giant employers

please provide more training and growth potential.

Think careful before considering!

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The residents are very nice!

Cons

Omg management are crap, they treat employees like slave's, salary forget about it, for everything you're responsible for please and you're not even told all job duties during interview, many of the employees has kids and needs to pay there rent I'm not quite sure how they're making it With the crapy pay they recieve.So don't waste your time trying to work there.

Be more considerate tours employees show more appreciation. As well as give employes better paid for the amount of work they're require to do.

Sales counselor

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

A lot of support from regional staff. Truly love the cornerstones and the team work. Enjoy caring for families that are going through making a tough decision

Cons

Salary isn't very good. Need to show more appreciation to staff by upper management. Not enough support for dining services when they need help

Increase salary

Be very Careful... Dog eat dog.

Former Employee - Executive Director in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package, competitive pay,

Cons

high expectaions, low level of training,

Watch your back and trust no one.

a few issues

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-a great start for a new nurse.
    -pay is reasonable in florida
    -co-workers are nice

Cons

-in the AL facilities you'll see that they'll give you almost 60-80 residents to one nurse per shift. yes you'll have a med tech to help you but the only thing they can do is pass pills. so your responsible for all the accuchecks, injections, treatments and so forth. With one nurse to that ratio something is bound to fall through the cracks.
    -there are to many residents in AL facilities that belong in a nursing home but marketing is more worried about losing money but we simply don't have the right supplies or equipment to care for these people, which I think is wrong.
    -some facilities don't even hire CNA's but a random person off the street that don't know anything about how to provide care to a person with left/right sided weakness or how to properly change person....hello front to back!
    -if you are not secured a full time position, you will struggle to find hours. better have 2 part time jobs if you are hired as part time or PRN. the main reason why I left, wasn't getting enough hours. they say you can work in other brookedales in the area to make your 40 hrs a week but they even make that hard for you b/c if you have to get permission every time before you up another shift from a different facility.

facilities should have a 1 nurse / 30 residents ratio for every shift just like the nursing homes if you're going to have acute care patients in your AL facilities.

Residents are wonderful; Management not so much

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile. Lots of flexibility in scheduling; good hours. Management is good about focusing on the residents and their care. Coworkers are generally fun, helpful, supportive; they become work-family.

Cons

Management does not listen to employees' requests, complaints, opinions, etc. Had to ask them why a number of things were/weren't happening as promised, why the schedule was changed without my knowing, etc. Also had a very "That's not my job/problem" attitude when employees presented a problem to management staff.

Personal Connections

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

BSS is a great training program!

Cons

Lack of leadership within company

Brookdale Senior Living Photos