Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
582 reviews filtered by
2.6
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

1. Very nice managers and staff.

Former Employee - Personalized Living Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Personalized Living Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always able to talk to the managers about anything.

Cons

Residents can be a little crazy.

nothing.

2. Grand Court

Current Employee - Resident Care Associate in North Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Resident Care Associate in North Springfield, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Residents are very sweet and caring

Cons

Pay is not the best

Listen to the associates more

Tolerable, but just barely

Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cook in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Fairly good pay; very good, consistent work schedule (in the kitchen); close to home, easy access, free employee parking, cheap/no-cost employee meals, no early mornings or late nights (my job only). Very clean, safe working environment, boss understands my concern, no micro-management, team effort on everyone's part, very amicable working environment. My ED, at least, recognizes talent and rewards low-level (front-line) community level associates with goodies at employee meetings and is the best ED we've had.

Cons

Management totally frowns on overtime, even if it is needed. Low pay for some positions means only non-skilled, low or non-educated people will apply. Not too many associates at my facility speak good English and have a very thick accent. Pay raises non-existent to very slow, and nobody gets more than 2.5% per year. Non-union rules mean they squeeze every ounce of labor for every dollar they pay, and employ as few workers as possible to maximize their profits as they squeeze every penny out of every residences through as many ancillary services as possible. Very little to no room for promotion, very small, insulting raises, inadequate health care coverage for the premium cost.
      Regarding the culinary aspect in the Emeritus-to-Brookdale transition. Brookdale is trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Their menu ideas are fine for Brookdale communities, since they initiated them there, but the do not fit the Emeritus communities for several reasons. First, the entire Brookdale menu, implemented by Crandall Dieticians, means the PRD must increase by at least 25% to accommodate it. Second, the independent food and service providers required are unattainable, meaning Brookdale is forcing us to buy goods from vendors we've never heard of (ergo, Rocky Mountain Spices). Third, the food service contract by Brookdale with Sysco forces us to buy whole cases of items we used to break cases for, thereby forcing our food costs up 15% to 25% on a regular basis, and have the remaining inventory sitting idle for many months, since we may need only one #10 can of an item for a month. Additionally, many of their requests are only insurance driven and only make our job harder because many of our communities do not even have a dining staff, let alone a dining room manager. There is no way we can do the "garnish program" in the 20 minutes all our residents expect to get our meals, let alone table service. Totally unreasonable expectations with the current labor force.
      Everything Brookdale requires serves only to decrease efficiency and increase their costs, thereby shooting themselves in the foot and making our job harder.
      You cannot get anyone to work in, let alone apply for, a hard working job in the kitchen for less than $11.00 an hour, thus, we are always short staffed and are expected to do more work with less time without cutting into our required breaks.

You need to pay more to your community-level employees. Not one of our associates is worth less than $12.00 an hour, especially when Seattle has the new $15-an-hour minimum wage kicking in over the next three years. You're going to lose everybody unless you pay more (except for the salaried people making over $36,000 a year). Also, because of Obummer-care, you need to go back to First Choice Health or Aetna and dump United health care with their comically high deductible that offers NO co-pays. The merger from Emeritus to Brookdale meant that in order for me to get the same benefits as my former health plan with Aetna, I had to pay five times(!) as much, forcing me into the very high deductible bronze plan that is only good for catastrophic accidents or disabilities. This also means my doctors lose money, forcing insurance rates and doctor's costs to go up!
      You also need to alot more hours to the schedule, as we are 100% census and have minimal staffing which only hurts the residents and community-level associates in your goals of increasing profits and stock share prices. You are making money off the sweat of hard-working employees and taking advantage of old people, which does not sit well in my book. The only reason I am still working here is because the work is steady and is close to home, but not much else.

No logical plan of action following Emeritus takeover.

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team atmosphere is very prevalent. Within the nursing dept., everyone helps each other to make it a very comfortable work environment.

Cons

To date, the company has not offered any opportunities for work related in-services or professional seminars.

Turnover is high in this field. It would be refreshing to reward those employees who go above and beyond daily tasks with something tangible($$) instead of the occasional "atta boy(girl)".

Lack of emphasis on the product quality

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress sales position. No travel required.

Cons

Very limited income potential for all community level employees. No financial reward for loyalty or years of service. 1% salary increase if annual review is positive. High turn over rate as low payer in the market at all community positions. Lack of accountability and "warm body" approach to community positions compromise product and drive away quality employees.

Emphasis on hiring/placing/paying "ace" personnel at the community level. Stabilize and enhance Brookdale product and share price with top quality highly compensated employees who generate the revenue

7. So far, it has been a neutral work experience.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

There is a great sense of Teamwork in there. The hours that we work are very flexible.

Cons

It is hard to have a stable schedule. Managers are not always understanding and in control of the situations.

Be more professional

8. Co-workers were the biggest problems

Former Employee - Resident Care Associate
    Former Employee - Resident Care Associate

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company but management needs to be more professional and aggressive!

Cons

Most of the employees lack English which made communication hard and the hiring process is too easy.

Have more requirements/qualifications for the resident associate position. A body doesn't solve anything when teamwork isn't in their vocabulary!

9. It is an okay environment.

Current Employee - Resident Assistant
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love working with the resident.

Cons

Staff turnover, and managment unprofessional.

Learn how to be a manger and less gossip with staff.

10. I felt welcome from the first day I walked in for my interview!

Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Environment. Residents. & co workers

Cons

Turn over & call outs. The pay could be better & shift differential would def be a plus.

Make sure you listen to the employees.

11. Getting Beeter

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse in Stow, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The current management is encouraging, helpful and expects more from their staff. Google job.

Cons

Still trying to weed out the naysayers and negative Nellies. Sometimes it feels like they reward the prns who pick up, but ignore the full time staff who put in the hrs every day..

Don't just give lip service to appreciation. Honor the nurses who treat these folks like family- go the extra mile and OWN the job. They are the best part of the job.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos