www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.8

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Relgistered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the patients and families. Very clean facility, patient care directed. Good director for the Memory Care Unit.

Cons

Pay and Benefits, Clicky co workers

A company that practices what it preaches.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work at a Brookdale corporate office and I love it. I am exposed to Brookdale’s senior leadership and they are genuine people that care about others. That is very refreshing in today’s world. They ask your opinion and are willing to hear the good and the bad, and then go the extra step to do something about it. I am also a customer of Brookdale as my own family members have lived in Brookdale communities. I would recommend Brookdale as a place to work or live.

Cons

I have no cons, I am very happy working for Brookdale.

Please continue to value company culture.

Happy, Supported and Celebrating at Brookdale

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Although fairly new to Brookdale, I can honestly say my experience here has been an incredible so far. One of the first positive experiences I had was witnessing some amazing team collaboration directly following the merger with legacy Emeritus. It is extremely exciting knowing that you’re part of the biggest senior living company in the world at one of the most critical moments in its history. I am happy to say that I’m truly growing in my professional journey, able to access programs to help me succeed and have supportive and motivating mentors to help me grow. Brookdale embraces their “celebrate life every day” mantra, genuinely valuing associates’ work-life balance and caring for their overall well being. Aside from the fun holiday team celebrations and contests, associates know they matter and make a huge impact (whether indirectly or directly) on the residents we serve every day.

Cons

Leadership Foundations, which was an open forum with company leaders including our CEO, was really helpful in understanding the company’s direction and maintaining transparency. That said, although they have internal communications programs and initiatives, I wish they still had the program.

My only advice is to keep doing what you're doing.

We receive weekly messages of celebration and encouragement from our team leaders. My supervisor has presented several learning opportunities for me as well. During Leadership Foundations I had the opportunity to hear from our executive leaders on where the company has been and where it’s going. When the CEO said, “We’re a $5 billion start-up,” it really resonated with me. We are taking an innovative approach by providing senior care solutions for the rapidly growing aging population. That’s a pretty big deal. I also loved how he mentioned that he has a service approach to leadership. It may be his quiet nature, but Andy Smith does seem to be a humble listener, who really does live out this approach.

Allows me to have flexibility and work with people who care about others.

Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter
    Current Employee - Healthcare Recruiter

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I like working at Brookdale because I feel I have the ability to share my ideas, have flexibility, and it allows me to help others.

Cons

I have to be disciplined to create the work-life balance. I work from home so I tend to work more than I should because I want to be sure to support everyone that is depending on me to do a job for them. I do this to myself, not Brookdale.

The management I work with is great. They are always open to my ideas and suggestions.

Endless opportunities to impact the lives of others

Current Employee - Recruiter in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of being a member of the Brookdale family is having the opportunity to serve others and enhance the quality of life of our residents.

Cons

It took a while to be promoted, but once I received a promotion, I began to discover my true purpose at Brookdale.

Continue hosting the open forums and company wide update sessions

8 years strong...

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Excellent company culture. Puts residents first. As an employee, I feel I am able to achieve a great work/life balance. Company missions and cornerstones are extremely important througout the hiring process to ensure we are making the right choices for the residents we serve.

Cons

Would love it if we offered part time benefits.

Great management in the Finance Department, always an open door for questions.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

-True open door policy, not many times you see the doors of the Director's closed
    -Office atmosphere is relaxed and professional

Cons

-Interview process was a little unorganized, even after a follow up phone call

I'm happy, supported and celebrating in my career at Brookdale.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Although I’ve only been at Brookdale for a few months, I can honestly say it’s been an incredible experience so far. One of the first positive experiences was witnessing the incredible team collaboration directly following the merger with legacy Emeritus. It is extremely exciting knowing you’re part of the largest senior living company in the world at one of the most critical moments in its history. It's amazing to think that my efforts contribute to that every day! I am happy to say that I’m truly growing in my professional journey, able to access programs to help me succeed and have supportive and motivating mentors. Brookdale also really seems to embrace their “celebrate life every day” mantra---genuinely valuing associates’ work-life balance and caring for their overall wellbeing. Aside from the fun holiday parties and contests, associates know they matter and make a huge impact (whether indirectly or directly) on the residents we serve every day. I can't wait to see where we are in the years to come.

Cons

Leadership Foundaitons, which was an open forum with company leaders including our CEO, was really helpful in understanding the company’s direction and providing another layer of transparency. That said, although they have internal communications programs and initiatives, I wish they still had that program.

During Leadership Foundations I had the opportunity to hear from our executive leaders on where the company has been and where it’s going. When the CEO described Brookdale as a "$5 billion start-up,” it really resonated with me. Rather than a one-size-fits-all approach, we are taking an innovative approach to senior care by providing customized solutions for the rapidly growing aging population. That’s a pretty big deal. I also loved hearing the CEO say he has a service approach to leadership. It may be his quiet nature, but Andy Smith does seem to be a humble listener, who really does live out this approach.

Great company! So much room for professional growth!

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I have been with the company for 10 years. I started in an Assistant role and have had the opportunity to grow my professional career. They have offered me numerous opportunities to develop my skills and I have worked my way into a Management role. Brookdale really believes in promoting from within. Our mission of putting the residents first is true and it is great to be with a company that talks the talk AND walks the walk.

Cons

With every company there are always cons, but I can't really think of anything major to discuss.

They have an open door policy and really practice it. I've been very satisfied with senior management.

Best Company I have ever worked for!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The culture at Brookdale is awesome. The Mission and Cornerstones are the driving force behind how decisions are made. The bottom line is important in any business but here we "put the resident first and the bottom line takes care of itself!"

Cons

For a company this size the health benefits could be better but overall I'm very happy at Brookdale!

Brookdale Senior Living Photos