www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
2.7

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work for little pay

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The residents are wonderful sweet people that you fall in love with.... well most of them lol

Cons

Lots of cons but most dangerous is they just look the other way when something or someone needs sent out for mental health that is above what they can do

Listen to your employees and stop just telling them what they want to hear and actually get up and do something and stop making rules and long lists of things that are unreasonable.

No one wants to work at Brookdale

Former Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive wage for upper level directors, big company with stock options

Cons

Everything else about the job and company. Bad reputation and poor work environment definitely not worth the trouble.

Can't wait to quit this damn job!!!

Current Employee - Community Level in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Community Level in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

There are plenty of pros if you are a district or regional manager...they do nothing, have no responsibility except verbally abusing employees and reporting up the chain that the slaves are in line.

Cons

They find ways not to pay your bonuses and expense reports, constant intimidation, systems are terrible, they hire psychos to regional positions, commit fraud, and expect employees to give up their families and dedicate themselves 24/7 to earn them more money. Can't find the negative stars... Culture is poor. Claimed values are bullcrap. I would never invest in this mess. There dozens of lawsuits just waiting to happen.

Sensitivity training. Terminate your regionals and start over. They are totally demoralizing. Look at turnover then ask yourself "how much is this costing? Why is it so bad? How can we fix it?". Listen to the staff that actually does work and to the residents. I would have retired with Emeritus. Now I can't wait to find something else. Quit having people get on this site to raise the average star rating in attempts to get off the list of worst companies to work for...accept the fact that you are one of the worst employers and do something to correct it. You've made no attempts to make it any better and that is FREAKIN' CRIMINAL!

Nothing but lies and run around

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything positive about this company beyond the fact that I am not there anymore.

Cons

I am receiving severance as a former employee. While employed, I experienced a culture with little to no communication and plenty of finger pointing. As a former employee, I have experienced nothing but lies and a run around proclaiming how corporate policies are more important than the people that made up the company. I have had items pulled from my check and NOT returned to me. Never seen another place where the employees were a revenue center in themselves.

Learn to see people as people, not numbers. Talk to each other. Follow up the on what you say you are going to do.

Resident Assistant

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Other employees help each other.

Cons

1.There is not a professional in working schedule for employees.
    2.trying to hire many part-time employees. by doing this, they do not give their employees enough hours to work and in come that their employees can support their living cost.
    3. They always short pay their employees.
    4. the Management system is a mess.

1.Need to refresh and rebuild a Management system.
    2. care more about their employees then their employees can focus on their Residents.
    3. pay correct hours as well as rates

Good day

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good residents Good times good days

Cons

Everything can be done better

Better

Terrible dietary service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Wonder residents.great nursing staff on AL and memory care.

Cons

ED was never in ding room to help. Dietary services very poorly run. Lack of staff initiative. Dirty dining room floor. Tables never set with all dishes or silverware

Instruct dietary workers how to appropriately set tables, serve food,and clean dining room. For the cost of the apartment and care. They should not have stained table clothes andfood left on silverware

Please, trust me-don't work here!!

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents and my coworkers were the only things that made this job enjoyable, for sure. I had many memorable conversations with the residents and I only wish that they weren't being taken advantage of for their money.

Cons

I don't know if all Brookdale locations are the same-but there are some serious root issues that can be seen even at the bottom of the company level.

First off- the management is lazy, and there is so much blame shifting and negligence. The managers would come in and demand us to work by the book, but then take off to do their own thing. During the near year that I worked as a server, I watched firsthand as our managers would only show their faces 2, maybe 3 times a week in the place they were supposed to be running. When our manager did show, it was only to yell at all the servers and cooks, then leave again.

Unprofessional- The only time that we would actually run things correctly was during corporate visits. As soon as corporate was gone, things were back to normal. There was so much chaos in the kitchen. No one ever seemed to know what their duties were and only the bare minimum was done. The managers played favorites with certain employees, looking the other way when they would directly break the rules.

High Turnover Rate and Frustrated employees- Numbers speak for themselves. In the 11 months that I worked, 10 other servers quit. Some of them tried to move to other positions within the company, but were still left with pay that wasn't meeting their needs, barely any training, and poor work/life balance. Some of them had been in the company for 6+ years and hadn't had a single pay raise since they started. The interview process wasn't even close to being thorough- they were desperate just to fill the holes with servers leaving in droves.

Ethics-This is by far what bothered me the most about working here. On the surface, we were told that Brookdale is all about the residents...but that is not what I saw in practice. The company is out for their money, not their well being. Lets just say that there's a lot of fine print, in everyone's contracts.

Managers- Take responsibility for you workplace and the people that are under your leadership. Listen to your employees, pay attention to obvious glaring issues instead of ignoring them. Don't promise high pay and good hours to interviewees if you have no intention of honoring that promise. Performance=Rewards

Worst Corporation to work for (are listed in top 5 worst on internet)

Former Employee - Teamwork in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Teamwork in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Staff and Residents are awesome and make going to work enjoyable. The teamwork can be amazing especially when everyone is willing to go above and beyond their job description.

Cons

Terrible insurance rates, management tries to run their building only to have road blocks by corporate at most every turn. Stress level for employees will effect your health if you are not careful but corporate doesn't care. Teamwork filled the building only to have Brookdale come along and make changes that has the residents all moving out. If a building is successful shouldn't corp. let things be and see whats working?

No problems with management, the problem is Brookdale's micro managing and only caring about the money. Caring for seniors is not supposed to be about the money but the heart. You would think a full building of residents would be more profitable than one with a lot of empty apartments.

Corporate greed is appalling

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

There are a few good persons working in the communities that unfortunately work a significant amount of unpaid overtime to compensate for the lack of resources

Cons

Upper management expects all salaried employees to work significant amounts of overtime to accomplish unrealistic goals and duties.

You will lose good employees and only retain persons who cannot get a better job elsewhere

Brookdale Senior Living Photos