Brookdale Senior Living
www.brookdaleliving.com Brentwood, TN 5000+ Employees

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros:
  • "Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The residents are mostly great people to work with, it was a nice to see many happy faces every day with a smile"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Regional management are vindictive and always looking for the negative in the staff"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sad State of Affairs

ProsResidents and co-workers make the job bearable

ConsManagement totally out of touch with Associates and their positions/job responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some compassion, morals and ethics rather than grabbing the almighty dollar; i.e., make sure potential independent living residents are able to live a quality lifestyle while residing at an INDEPENDENT LIVING situation. Bringing those in that are incapacitated either physically or mentally is not being fair to the Resident, their families, or others who reside and work there. Independent living is NOT assisted living; we as Associates are not qualified, equipped or trained to handle Residents who are more suited for an Assisted Living situation. Management also needs to interact with their Associates! Too much of a "click" within management.

Brookdale is a corporation that is ultimately primarily focused on the bottom dollar.... Enough said.

Therapy Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, nice coworkers, and variety of work opportunities

ConsExtremely unorganized, unstructured, and at times unethical. No training for employees or management. Minimal support and limited opportubity to grow clinical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program for employees. Have a realistic expectations of "productivity" standards. Give more support to your nurses, therapy managers and employees.

Good Start

ProsAbility to grow in the company

ConsSuper Frustrating to staff employees. High turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of hours

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has become more concerned with profits than the seniors it serves.

Executive Director (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with seniors, making their days brighter and happier. Fair wages, 401k match, decent benefits.

ConsHas become very profit driven, changing focus often, rolling out new initiatives and sales goals constantly. Has a very lofty set of "cornerstones" that have become something expected at a community level but they are not apparent in most mid-management that I came into contact with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to accomplish and stick with it, don't change direction so often and don't overload your team with new projects, programs and initiatives. Give them a chance to learn and do things well before adding more.

Terrible Field Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Benefits are nice and the company goals and mission are positive.

ConsField Management does their job without regard to the mission statement and without thinking about the residents at their communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a leash on your regional VPs

Poor communication throughout the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsWork/life balance is OK. Time-off policies seem to fair for the most part. The company does seem to be geared toward folks that have families, which is nice for those that have them.

ConsPoor communication throughout the company. Poor synergy between departments. It would also be nice if the salaries kept up with industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and apply the values that you advertise to your potential customers to your current residents and current employees. Communicate better with your employees. Do what you say you're going to do.

The residents are the highlight of my job. If only I had time to serve them with excellence!

Server (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsAppreciation by the residents, support by coworkers, adequate time off, abundant training programs.

ConsNot enough time/staff to care for our residents properly. Mgmt is sluggish, problems never get solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to give more hours in certain departments that serve our residents. Caregivers and servers, housekeepers, maintenance and cooks all need added hours on our shifts to actively deliver our Mission Statement. Every day I feel like the only thing that matters with this company is the bottom dollar.
    That should never be with a company this large. I am a fast paced worker and so are many that I work with. If every crew was staffed with our types there wouldn't be much problem. But, the majority of employees are not interested in running full speed ahead. Most are satisfied to work at a slow, comfortable pace. That's when our best intentions of giving excellent service goes awry. BSL should realize most people don't feel the need to run at a break neck speed to get their work done. I know for the most part, that upper management certainly doesn't work that way, why should we? We have 3 cooks in our kitchen at breakfast and lunch when it is the least busy. We have 1 cook at dinner when we're the busiest. This is just wrong but no one wants to work evenings so the residents suffer. Sorry, I know I'm venting but, please, start reviewing the amount of hours that are allowed in each facility for efficiency and then maybe look into where these hours should be applied.

Hot Mess

Business/Financial Management (Former Employee)
    Providence, RI

ProsThe residents and their families were a joy. There was never a dull moment in our community as far as interesting, sweet, hilarious and lovely older people are concerned. They are the life blood of the communities and make it all worthwhile.

ConsOh, where to be-GIN! Very little training, lots of online resources, and you can always call a regional person who will put up with your call the same way they would a bill collector. There is too much gossip and back-stabbing, closed door good ol' boy meetings and nepotism. They nickle and dime the residents on every tiny thing, and so help you if you have to "walk someone through" the billing process. I have nick-named this company Crookdale because they are going to take you coming and going, whether you are a resident, family member, employee or manager. If you think you will make a difference by working here, you are sorely mistaken. This company will suck the life-blood out of you until you are a hollow shell and then give you a hard time about taking time off.

You will work at least 60 hours a week if you are a salaried manager and you better smile and pretend to like it, otherwise you are labeled with a "bad attitude". There is a fine line between streamlining and sweatshops. I shudder to think about how the company culture will suffer with the misguided acquisition of Emeritus. If you haven't had a bad Crookdale experience yet, I can guarantee you will once "X percent of elder persons over 65 will be within a ten mile radius of a Brookdale Community". The only good way to have a relationship with Brookdale is to be a stock-holder. Brookdale reeeeeeeeeeally loves their stock-holders.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the feel good tripe you shove down the throats of new employees. Throw out the perks they're promised, they never get to use them anyways. Tell new employees exactly what your culture is like: you want all of their time for the absolute lowest wage they will take, you will place the rules in direct opposition to their conscience and instinct to care for the residents and you will force them to abide by rules that do not apply to everyone...just the people you think need to be taught a lesson.

Come down off your high horse and work as a server or a CNA in your buildings. Actually do the work in the time you allow for these workers to complete care on someone in one of your subacute units. Work on the maintenance crew. Go in on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND! If you are going to sell Memory Care, make damn sure you are giving the residents everything you promise (and charge them for). You should be ashamed, executive management team of Crookdale Elder Holding Pens Nationwide, regionals and all. This is not the way to care for the people who raised your generation, saw a country through Depression, Recessions and War. It's not enough to put someone in an Assisted Living room, you have to have the staff and the spendable hours to foster a quality of life. This doesn't make them "needy", this makes them an elder in your care! The industry has changed over the last 15 years, the age your residents are coming to you has increased, the income of these people has steadily decreased and the Medical Assistance rules (if you are one of the few Brookdales that actually accepts state aid) are set up for the elderly to be denied assistance. And it's not like Brookdale is going to do anything to help with that process either.
    Either be an all-inclusive, pay-through-the-nose, elitist "no pay-no stay" health spa/resort/casino/brothel/community and advertise yourself as such, or be truthful in what you put in your *very expensive* tv adverts. It is disgraceful what you have done to this industry and us jerks at the bottom of the totem poles doing all the grunt work. You are too big for your own good and I can't wait to see you fall.

How The Mighty Fall...

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe idea of "Optimal" health, life and community is a great idea. This may be the only way Brookdale can find its way out of mediocrity and back to exceptional service and care.

ConsManagement is not focused on the core community leaders or staff. The focus of Brookdale is only on big data, streaming from their data metrics and totally uninterested in each and every communities "story" of real people, caring for real people. In the book, How the Mighty Fall, Jim Collins explored the failures of companies that fall into "the undisciplined pursuit of more." It is true for companies and it is true for careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe Andy Smith will hire Jim Collins to consult on the unbridled and undisciplined greed and acquisition of acquiring more assets. The best way for a senior living care and services company to "grow" is to grow organically through the quality care and delivery of their core services OR maybe Brookdale will communicate the truth of who they are....just another real estate company. This real estate company wants the public to believe they "care" when they really only seem to care about getting bigger, not better.

Great company that I'm glad to work for.

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCultures, people, benefits, growth potential

ConsIf I had any I wouldn't share them publicly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brookdale Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brookdale Senior Living CEO T. Andrew Smith. All 356 reviews posted anonymously by Brookdale Senior Living employees.