www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Saddened by changes

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard working dedicated people at the communities.

Cons

Sales managers are now being judged daily by number of calls made and recorded on sales information computer system. There's no coaching, just the 3rd degree and punishment. Regionals not only do not support sales staff they using pressure tactics that are the ones used during the worst days of Emeritus. Health insurance is a joke and career growth is only given lip service.

If you don't want some reporter to do a story about the abysmal care and closing the 'back door' tactics that was done to Emeritus then stop repeating their mistakes. You cannot put ridiculous amounts of pressure on EDs, HWDs and SM and expect high productivity and good moral. You are destroying what made Brookdale a good place to work.

Worst Staff I have ever worked with!!

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good training and loved the residents!

Cons

Poor Management!! Security is weak and puts residents at risk. Had to file a claim in Small Claims Court, demanding mileage expense reimbursement. Only received check after filing claim.

Quit drinking the company koolaid and get real!!! You talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

It's OK...

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good mission in senior living

Cons

Old-school, ridiculously expensive insurance premiums

Put your associates first and you'll have well-served and happy residents.

Associates of Brookdale work together with commitment and pride. Always striving toward improvements that serves others.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Work with a team that will go the extra mile in any situation and given freedom to contribute new ideas.

Cons

Company growth brings new challenges and responsibly that will sometimes increase stress levels.

Continue to solicit input from associates from all levels and locations to gain insight for making improvements that benefit all.

Love my sales job!

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training, support, development. Great ED and regional team. Opportunity for advancement. Beautiful community with lots of potential. Help from co-workers is never a problem.

Cons

Commission structure, benefits. Companies try to recruit me all of the time, with offers for higher salaries and much cheaper benefits. It's tempting because the compensation and medical premiums are such a huge issue. But I stay because I am appreciated, supported, and challenged.0

The regional sales director is fabulous and really understands CCRC sales. What a relief! It is wonderful to get coaching and to feel supportive. The expectations are high, but I get the help I need to hit my sales goals. It's nice having other sister communities nearby, and I look forward to meeting everyone at our meeting today.

One of the best places to work.

Former Employee - Nurse in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I love the people I worked with. Management was amazing. The residents were a blessing

Cons

Some residents were not assisted living appropriate in mine or many others eyes which only hurts them and the staff.

Listen to the nurse managers when screening possible residents for move in.

Feels corporate, looks corporate, is corporate.

Former Employee - Activity Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Activity Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The company has attracted an intelligent, thoughtful and kind clientele.

Cons

Can't say the same for many of the administration and staff.

Connect genuinely to the lower tiers (managers on down) to know what is really going on.

Corporate in Milwaukee IS a sweat shop - agree with other reviewers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pleasant rehabbed building - super fast computers and tech support is primo - enclosed parking structure (yep-very nice in Wisconsin winters) colleagues are nice if you take a step to meet people beyond emailing inter-building

Cons

total cube farm - endless rows of people with their noses down on multiple computer screens - friendly colleague chit chat nearly non-existent - location is in a former factory - HELLO! totally demeaning to require professional, well-educated staff (who just happen to not be salaried) to punch in and out -- with a fingerprint-recognition system! breeds distrust. creates stigma of lowliness when you try to do something as simple as go to lunch with a salaried colleague who does not need to punch in/out.

company is self-insured - thus most healthcare insurance choices are "skinny" - if you must insure a child/spouse lowest plan will be about all you can afford, or you will be looking at 25% of your salary for healthcare. possible to add riders for healthcare disasters such as heart attacks/cancer (cost escalates with age) - you are on your own if you need any sort of general surgery at all - looking at $10K deductible - you better get saving with that HSA - and if an illness spans more than a calendar year - its mucho deductible all over. healthy discounts (based on blood pressure, body mass index BMI and healthy cholesterol levels discontinued this year)

pervasive budget-driven culture of watching every penny - and ruthless treatment of vendors - does not at all favor small businesses. quite a paradox, as the Wisconsin governor (Scott Walker) visited last fall and declared this an example company.

way too many meetings where staff is reminded over and over and over to work faster.

where are the women? another reviewer mentioned good ol' boys - yes, very much so.

women with any management position at all must behave like the guys.

Brookdale exploits employees and residents

Current Employee - Executive Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hiring process targets good people for executive or management positions that will try to do the right thing by the residents despite the failures of the corporation to provide adequate resources

Cons

All communities are very understaffed and pay the majority of the employees at the direct care level barely above minimum wage which makes hiring and retaining good staff virtually impossible

The corporate standards that are written are not enforced. Due to low staffing, poor training and very little corporate oversight beyond the financial statements, the residents are in danger and have basic needs neglected

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive management, quality care, benefits

Cons

None that I can think of now

Brookdale Senior Living Photos