www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.7

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Land of Confusion

Current Employee - Dining Services in Penn Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Dining Services in Penn Hills, PA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents, and some co-workers. Challenges come in all forms, for the most part, the residents are, and should be priority number 1. As with any large scale working environment, the diversity of your co-workers can be an asset, or not.

Cons

Training is not provided for entry level, or new employees. Resident, and employee complaints are not handled in a timely manner. Departments are lacking essentials to providing the quality service, or care the residents are paying for. Concerns fall on deaf ears, and departments are left to deal with shortcomings.

Implement training standards for new employees. Associate meetings should focus on company values, associate concerns, and department issues. Treat employees fairly, and maintain consistent expectations in the departments.

Therapist

Current Employee - Not Going to Post
    Current Employee - Not Going to Post

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some benefits, the residents are a wide variety of people and needs, and the other therapists are wonderful.

Cons

The nursing department is run poorly and often do not put residents needs first. The documentation expectations have forced people to work off the clock, at times management has attempted to force people to work off the clock for trainings. Work/life balance is hard to achieve. Therapy room is extremely small.

Clean house.

Yearly review for pay increase

Former Employee - Lead Reception/Human Resources Assistant in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Lead Reception/Human Resources Assistant in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Positive attitude, helpful in all departments, always pleasant in apprearance and willing to go above and beyond job duties. Extremely dedicated to helping staff, guests and residents.

Cons

Needs to remember to slow down when answering the phone.

Would like to see the company update our phone system and to continue to listen to staff input.

Awesome job, ineffective management.

Former Employee - Activity Assistant
    Former Employee - Activity Assistant

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Solid expectations, rewarding work, decent training, & amazing clients

Cons

Horrible HR, extremely thin stretched staff, high turnover rate for employees that are not in management, company works to reward management and bleed dry daily staff of their energy and time.

Improve hiring in a way that actually hires people who are qualified for their job. Fire ineffective managers, directors, and nurses. The day to day should take higher importance than the ED or the Coordinators, they don't know what they are doing, it is the caregivers that are making you money.

Management is awful!!!! Run Please!!!

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They do allow flexibility. Great lunch, wonderful residents, and some of the workers are dedicated.

Cons

Hate the way the residents are talked to at times. Always low staffed!
    I was hired as a full-time employee (housekeeping), weeks before corporate was supposed to come in. I was told to not talk to residents unless I was off the clock. I was told not to use my cell phone when every time I looked around the workers who worked there for a long time were always using thiers. Miserable!!!!
    Two weeks later the worker who position I took returned after being off for a whole month.
    (She had been working there for only 4 months prior to her leave).
    Afterwards, I was shuffled around like a stack of cards. They took advantage of my administration skills so they had me working in the business office, and nurse office for two weeks. I had to scrub the flooring/baseboard of the building on my knees before corporate came in without help from the other lazy housekeeping staff. Management didn't know exactly what they wanted from me in the days that followed. Each day I came in the called my duties job security. I wasn't able to clock in nor out until I put in my two week notice. I really felt used, and I hate the fact that I quit another job prior to this one. With three daughters to feed I really wish I would have not taken this position. It was the worst decision I've ever made in my life.

Y'all should keep it real with the employees and treat everyone the same. Stop the fakery to get things done that you'll should have done already. Complying to the company's policy is very important. Taking advantage of people and promising higher pay so they would feel secure is sad...

I would not recommend this company, to be perfectly honest, as an OT.

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was able to create my own schedule.

Cons

Feels like when adding people to the therapy caseload, they really REACH to find excuses to add them to keep census up. I felt like I was often times bothering residents when I went to work with them.

Don't offer a full time position if it is really only a part time position. Don't promise that hours will increase when they don't.

Lovely experience working with the elderly for almost 5 years.

Current Employee - CNA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CNA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely residents to work with. Very flexible around school schedule. Available health care/paid vacation for eligible employees (full time). Rewards you for recommending people to be hired.

Cons

Management not very considerate of staff. Constantly short staffed. Very little personal growth potential in company. Quality of service has declined.

Listen to what employees have to say. Sometimes, it feels as though our voice is not significant and that not enough emphasis is placed on being open to suggestions.
    Reward good work. I'm not saying monetarily, but a thank you card here and there just to tell employees that their hard work is very much appreciated. Sometimes it feels that doing a good job and having initiative is overlooked and not appreciated.

Associates of Brookdale work together with commitment and pride. Always striving toward improvements that serves others.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Work with a team that will go the extra mile in any situation and given freedom to contribute new ideas.

Cons

Company growth brings new challenges and responsibly that will sometimes increase stress levels.

Continue to solicit input from associates from all levels and locations to gain insight for making improvements that benefit all.

It's OK...

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good mission in senior living

Cons

Old-school, ridiculously expensive insurance premiums

Put your associates first and you'll have well-served and happy residents.

Experienced a Brookdale

Former Employee - Front Desk in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The seniors are so life changing. I have a new perspective of how to handle situations and deal with emotional joys and lows. Great residents!

Cons

Personally there is no room to move up. You are stuck where you start. Hard to find support from higher ups and not many benefits for part time workers.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos