Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
610 reviews filtered by

LOVE the Residents and the atmosphere of the community but the crappy pay and crappier hours make this job difficult.

Current Freelancer - Caregiver
    Current Freelancer - Caregiver

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents and the bonds you can form with them; coworkers are usually friendly and nice to be around; *free meals provided in the dining room; very nice atmosphere to work in. I would say, without a doubt, that working with the residents is the main reason I can say that I LOVE my job.

Cons

A few coworkers are not so nice to be around, as to be expected anywhere. Very limited window of time to get your "free meals" in the dining room - which caregiver schedules never seem to coincide with. Employees given "promotions" which equal to more responsibility with new job titles but no extra pay included - they really will try to squeeze as much as they can out of you for as little as you let them (guilty!). Currently Brookdale only hires PRN status caregivers instead of PT or FT - so caregivers have absolutely NO access to company benefits like medical/dental or tuition reimbursement, etc. Schedule preferences are hardly ever taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Please focus on your more "excellent" employees and make sure they are being appreciated and paid what they are worth to you - otherwise they won't last. If you really want to provide the high-quality care that your residents expect to receive and pay for, then you must rethink the wages/benefits being offered (or rather, not being offered) to the non-management employees. The wage levels being paid that I know about would apply to awful-mediocre employees, at best. I'm personally already looking elsewhere. I also haven't had one single weekend (Sat/Sun) off since I started even though other caregivers refuse to work any weekends - it's really not fair.

2. Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents were great. The pay was good. The concept of the business was positive.

Cons

Brookdale tends to keep the worse people for the position and get rid of the good people. upon arrival at my community, their was a convicted felon working on the property. Brookdale allows associates to brag about committing state and federal crimes and refuses to investigate the associates. Executive Directors are allowed to do as they please and not abide by the laws of the state.

Advice to Management

Start listening to front line and management staff about what is really going on in the community. do not trust Regional Directors. They talk about how they can stop complaints at their level so it would not go up the ladder.

Caregiver

Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Resident Care Associate in Bedford, OH

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to work a lot hours. Residents were amazing. Clean.

Cons

Hard on feet. Not a lot of team work with co-workers. Management didn't manage well.

Advice to Management

Better training.

I am a medication technician.

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Want to do work in the clerical part of a job.

Cons

Have basic computer skills, and know how to write reports.

Advice to Management

It will help me understand what it is like at the management stand point and be more responsible.

Takes advantage of employee's care and concern for residents with low pay, over work, forcing off the clock work

Former Employee - Department Head in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Department Head in Boulder, CO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good: health insurance plan is quite good. Other benefits okay to good. If the building has a good Executive Director who doesn't get fired, it can be a good place to work.

Cons

Hours have been cut to a minimum, while work load keeps increasing, requiring all employees to work off the clock in order to get work done. Fires people not based on their work, but based on things out of employee's control and on personal vendettas. Willing to let residents' needs and mental health slide in order to increase their bottom line.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, do what you say you are going to do. Treat your employees with respect and trust.

They are all about the money.

Former Employee - Business Office Manager
    Former Employee - Business Office Manager

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Anytime you can help the elderly, you are doing a great thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, this company only wants to help themselves.

Advice to Management

Always be there to support your Communities in every way possible. Stand by your Managers.

A disaster from the start.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager Hospice in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager Hospice in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

None, None, None, None, None

Cons

This company is only concerned about the bottom $ line. They hire and side with incompetent upper management, and mistreat and dispose of quality employees. Although orientation was promised, it was never provided, and the incompetent upper management forces new employees to fly by the seat of their pants, and just pretend to know what they're doing. They simply do not have their act together, and they don't care to expend the energy, money, and resources to make improvements. And, if they don't give a damn about their employees, they sure don't give a damn about the residents. Unfortunately, as of the new year 2015, Brookdale is the only provider of long term care living communities. I left a great job to work for Brookdale, and they're now forcing my resignation after I complained about an incompetent company administrator. What a mistake I made. Good riddance Brookdale, and I would never recommend you to anyone I know.

Advice to Management

Stand behind good employees who have the responsibility of providing front line care for residents, not incompetent upper management pencil pushing sponges.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lively place to work.Worked with a great group of people. Pay was competitive with the market. Some nice extra perks offered.

Cons

With emphasis on no overtime; pressure to finish work. Time off took a long time to be available.

Put the 'Bottom Line' first, and the resident can take care of him/her self~ the actual and only Cornerstone

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living (More than a year)

Pros

The residents. You'll fall in love with them. Doing what you are able to make their last days as pleasant as they can be.

Cons

*Charges residents exorbitant prices for services they don't get

*Don't put enough care staff on the floor to care for residents

*RCAs are streched too thin leaving very little time for actual care of residents. RCAs are responsible for laundry, dining room, housekeeping, etc.

*Many in management are verbally abusive to staff

*Will accept anyone who can pay regardless of not being able to adequately provide care for them

*Staff are routinely retaliated against for reporting deficiencies

*Put on a great show during corporate visits and tours for prospective residents, then things go back to the sad state that they normally are

*Not enough supplies on hand much of the time

*Low pay

*Low quality health insurance

*Corporate is totally out of touch with the reality on the ground in the communities

*Unreasonable work loads resulting in poor outcomes for residents and the care givers

Advice to Management

No need. They are making bank. They don't care who's suffering for that cash.

Ridiculous and Disorganized

Former Employee - Regional Director
    Former Employee - Regional Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Communities are nice
    Residents are super
    Team members
    Nice ads
    Decent resources

Cons

Serious upper management cliques - plays favorites
    Cult-like culture, you must drink the Kool Aid
    The division in which I worked was a hot mess - horrible leadership, micromanagement above me, goals/expectations were a moving target, double secret expectations from leadership, general incompetence, punative culture with punative trickle down
    ZERO work/life balance