Brookdale Senior Living

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 13 reviews)

• Get to make a difference in the lives of the elderly every day (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities (in 28 reviews)

• There is little to no job security and they operate mainly on fear (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Start

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Ability to grow in the company

Cons

Super Frustrating to staff employees. High turnover rate

A lot of hours

Do NOT move anyone you care about into Brookdale/Emeritus! Only work here if you live for abuse and minimum wage.

Current Employee - Divisional
    Current Employee - Divisional

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living for more than 5 years

Pros

They bake cookies. And of course the Seniors and your co-workers.

Cons

Division leaders are corrupt and so are their little monkeys. The coneheads describe them perfectly. They will staff at such a bare minimum they are willing to risk resident safety to make an extra buck. Don't move into publically traded assisted living. Find small mom and pop community who care about you and don't need to support two dozen millionaires salaries nor the divisional and regional teams wages for sitting at home in their pj's/home offices demanding more move ins and less staffing in order to make their monthly commissions and bonuses. The combination of these good old boys clubs and the women who sleep with them should be criminal.

Congratulations on being the Walmart of Assisted Living!! The quality of the divisional and regional people now working for you should scare you...I know what you acquired and I wouldn't move my neighbors barking dog in for you to care for. Can't wait for Frontline part 2 to come out!

Awesome

Current Employee - Finance  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Finance in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people begat good people

Cons

Size can be a distraction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Director of Professional Services
    Current Employee - Director of Professional Services

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable, caring company that does everything they can to take care of their residents.

Cons

Corporate management seems to understand the culture but they often fail to make sure the local managment is following the culture. In most communities they do a good job at this and in others a very poor job.

Make sure everyone understands the expectations and follows the culture. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Working on it...one day at a time...

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

I love the people that I have worked with during my tenure at Brookdale. I feel that we have a great cornerstone & mission.

Cons

My work-life balance is poor. However, that is mostly on me. Also, if the integrity line is anonymous make sure that it is truly anonymous.

Put the resident (& the employee) first and the bottom line will take care of itself.

Don't work here!!!! Please!they don't care about their residents or their employees

Current Employee - Server/Housekeeping  in  Sun City, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Housekeeping in Sun City, AZ

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The seniors are the only reason I worked there as long as I did

Cons

U are worked like a second class citizen...u have to jump through hoops to make them happy...if you earn paid time off which you are entitled to, you have to get permission from more than one person to have that time off.they ignore the seniors and they are rude to their grievances.at this very present moment I am suspended for something I didn't do and something they have no proof of.I can't get a hold of them because I am trying to ask if my PTO is being used while they do their stupid investigation and they keep hanging or or not responding to anything..my supervisor is a liar and no matter how much of a total pig he is or how inappropriate his actions are, Brookdale defend their own as far as upper management.to make matters worse all they do is micromanage everyone and the whole business is based on a lie.

upper management at Brookdale Senior Living clearly received their degrees in management from a cereal box. There is absolutely no integrity at brookdale senior living..at least not the one at Sun City West

An amazing culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture of "put the resident first, everything else will follow".
    Innovative leaders that have inspired me to be a better manager.

Cons

Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities. Sometimes it takes someone on the front line to show the rest of management what is really going on.

Keep your eyes and ears open to to what happens day to day in the beautiful communities that the company owns... Listen to the associates and let individual communities do what they do best without too much oversight.

healthcare worker

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

works hard to meet resident's needs and to try and make a home like environment

Cons

long hours, unappreciated, always being told only what you do wrong

Enriching the lives of those we serve with compassion respect excellence and integrity.

Current Employee - Sales Counselor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

A company that cares about the residents and associates.

Cons

lack of first hand experience by some upper management in the daily routine of community life.

get acquainted with the every day routine of what happens in your communities. Spend a week shadowing to get a better understanding of what really happens on the front lines.

Sad State of Affairs

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Residents and co-workers make the job bearable

Cons

Management totally out of touch with Associates and their positions/job responsibilities.

Show some compassion, morals and ethics rather than grabbing the almighty dollar; i.e., make sure potential independent living residents are able to live a quality lifestyle while residing at an INDEPENDENT LIVING situation. Bringing those in that are incapacitated either physically or mentally is not being fair to the Resident, their families, or others who reside and work there. Independent living is NOT assisted living; we as Associates are not qualified, equipped or trained to handle Residents who are more suited for an Assisted Living situation. Management also needs to interact with their Associates! Too much of a "click" within management.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!