www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Priorities, and the lack thereof at certain individual communities.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, wonderful residents, and some good co-workers.

Cons

Understaffed, unorganized, different standards for different shifts, or employees. Training for new employees is non-existent. Priorities are lacking.

Complaints fall on deaf ears. Don't sacrifice services, or food to stay within budget, so a select few can benefit from end of year bonuses. Resolving issues brought to your attention can help improve a dysfunctional work environment, when employees bring up problems with scheduling, lack of supplies, or other issues that can affect work conditions.

Nice patient's, more difficult work environment

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice patient's
    Ability to develop good working relationship's with some staff
    Generally friendly people

Cons

Pulled in many different directions at once -- asked to cover for the SNF, ALF's, IL's, and in-home community home health patient's, many times without notice. Generally you find your own patient's -- which makes higher productivity standards more difficult to meet.

Offer a more cohesive training program for rehab staff.

underpaid, they refuse to give overtime, and lazy coworkers

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The residents and a few coworkers

Cons

I think the benefits are not that good, we pay too much for insurance, most of the workers hide so they don't have to answer door alarms, its all about upper management and not the aides that are doing the work

consider paying long term employees a higher salary, some of us are making nearly the same as a new hire is ( not fair), and hire new upper management with a backbone.

Ugly Corporate Culture. No accomplishment is ever enough! Back stabbing, self promoting upper management team.

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Director

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the residents and their families. They are what keeps most Associate coming back day after day. Great team when they work together and not against each other.

Cons

No respect for the Associates or work/life balance. Unrealistic demands that can't be met even working 60+hrs/week including nights and weekends which is expected. Demeaning and demoralizing upper management. Focus purely on revenue, often at employee and resident expense.

Apply the Cornerstones and Mission statement to your Associates too! They're hardworking, good hearted people you're taking advantage of, churning and burning for the sake of making $$

This company has gotten too big to realize whatnot Who is important....

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Leesburg, FL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Leesburg, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has plenty of room for advancement, has decent benefits, and great people to work with.

Cons

Don't try and change things or even question your managers because it won't get you anywhere.There is NO training.

Listen to the people who are making you the money and are interacting with each other and residences. Believe in your own BS!

My experience working for Brookdale has been very positive and rewarding

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with. We all work well together. We do disagree with each other from time to time but we agree to disagree and move on to the next thing.

Cons

Some of the negatives are low pay and poor health benefits.

Continue to work with your staff to keep them involved and motivated. At times, there is a disconnect in communication to everyone who works for the same community.

Without a doubt the worst experience working for a company in my life

Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for this company is that they will hire anybody and I mean anybody. No experience necessary or training they will literary train you in the facility. So if you are completely desperate and need to pay bills to avoid evictions or you need to put food on the table to feed your family and looking for a place with no standards come on board.

Cons

The challenges of this company are they will tell you, you are going to be full time but then you come in and notice you are on a part time schedule with no benefits and basically working as needed, meaning it might be one day one week and as much as seven days the next. The associates are completely dissatisfied and they should be they are doing the work of three different departments in a normal facility including housekeeping, laundry, and dining room on top of the already difficult task of being a CNA and working with residents that could easily go for skilled care versus assisted and how much does this company pay their resident care associates 9.00 an hour with out any shift diff for second or third shift. This is not coming from a resentful employee who has been fired, I more than voluntarily quit no I just want to save you the trouble if you are considering employment and want to point out this company does not care about the residents they care for or their staff .Don't believe me see it for yourself I dare you ask to volunteer one day and look at the state of some of the rooms those residents stay in.

My advice to upper management is that you can sit here and come up with these mission statements and goals and even make the staff recite them every morning like the national anthem in school but if you are not going to live up to them then what is the point? They are just words either give these residents the care they deserve or shut this company down but I know you will not do it taking those vacations is more important in your eyes than providing the care you promised these people.

Treated Like Trash...kicked to the curb!

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better than nothing, if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

I was a respected regional leader one day I received an email saying they "didn't need me anymore". I was fired from my position through an email. I was treated like a piece of trash. No performance review and no explanation. I can only believe my firing was part of the need to eliminate leaders to make room for the incompetent Emeritus leaders joining Brookdale. Now that I am gone, I keep hearing from more and more leaders, they are being terminated or asked to leave to make room for the very leaders that messed up Emeritus.

Read these reviews carefully. Brookdale's name should be changed, as it is not the company I joined or once was. All of these employees you've treated badly are your potential customers and referral sources. I will never refer anyone to Brookdale again.

Rollercoaster

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The floor staff and residents were wonderful

Cons

Going on maternity leave? Forget about getting your full time hours back!!

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Marketing in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the most part, great people, at least in my department.

Cons

Terrible corporate culture. Political games and daily drama. Greedy, top-heavy culture, heavily silod where c-level gets everything. Lacks integrity.

Culture, compensation, consideration.