www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 31 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent company, dining services department was not satisfactory

Former Employee - Dining Services Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Dining Services Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the employees and managers throughout the building were great, and genuinely cared about their work.

Cons

The dining services department had managerial issues and was in dire need of removing a large number of problem employees. The department surveyed as having a less than 50% job satisfaction rate. I saw a waiter threaten an assistant manager with no repercussion.

There was little to no accountability for employee behavior. The setup of the dining room made it easy for slacking employees to dump work on others, some of the kitchen staff was exceedingly difficult and unfriendly.

Review

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to meet.

Cons

Very demanding when it comes to sales. Current management want us to be pushy and that's not what we are supposed to do.

Micromanaging never works. With the Emeritus transition you need to tell the legacy Emeritus associates that we are not going to be the "A" typical sales people and make sure they understand that.

Do not go there to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Residents and staff. Therapist and nurses are great! No driving unless you have to go to another community to help.

Cons

Management does not care about employees. No work life balance. Constant drastic changes in organization. Suggestions/Complaints go no where, usually not addressed at all.

Take care of your employees so they will be there to take care of residents.

Interviews that serve to keep you hanging on a ledge when there is no intention of hiring you.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

My initial experience was a response by email and then a face to face, very brief, meeting with the person you would be working for. What a joke! Then there was a second interview where this person was "out of town" and it was with an older employee who you would be working in the same area with. This left a very negative feeling and I knew she would be the person to block further progress. I was correct. This was followed by a young lady, filling in for someone temporarily, who informed me that she was ready to hire me and would call the gentleman responsible and let him know. Then weeks and months went by and I had given up hope and here comes another email asking if I was still interested. HA, HA!!! I replied yes simply to see how far this would go. I had a job and had no intention of working with Brookdale ever!!!!

Cons

There were no cons whatsoever. My advice would be don't fall for the pretty picture they present.

You have extremely poor management individuals here in the Richmond area. I am sure there is some sort of legal punishment for misrepresenting employment and for outright lying.

Imperial Plaza's shameful decision

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The residents are wonderful, most co-workers are wonderful as well, they too were taken advantage of by a greedy company who is using the economy as a means to literally steal from them

Cons

favoritism and preferential treatment to those who qualify to be in a certain clique
    minorities are looked down upon
    hard work means nothing to them, it doesn't matter if you are not a favorite
    they cut all full time people to 37.5 hour week with no notice nor nothing in writing
    10 hour monthly pay-cut that did not affect salaried workers who do less
    the mission statement is just a slogan they do not care about the residents nor the staff

The people you kick around and look down on are the ones who you actually need the most to be successful.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos