Brookfield Renewable Power

3.6
Richard Legault

1. Great place to work for some job titles

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power

Pros

Good pay and benefits. You're working in the green energy field. Brookfield is a rapidly growing company with a good future. Certain jobs have good job security.

Cons

Frequent reorgs mean jobs get eliminated or moved regularly. Leaves the remaining employees stretched too thin. Lack of consistent planning means management's big picture changes regularly.

Advice to Management

Value your employees as much as you do your other assets. Knowledge and experience should count for something. Having a lot of uncertainty about company focus and job security crushes moral, and demoralized employees aren't going to do more than just phone it it.

2. I enjoyed my job at Brookfield but had difficulty getting answer from management.

Current Employee - Engineer in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Brookfield Renewable Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was good
    Benefits were great

Cons

Very difficult to get answer from management.
    There was a very high personnel turnover.

Advice to Management

Communicate information to employees more frequently and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.

Accounting

Former Employee - Accounting in Marlboro, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Marlboro, MA

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None I can think of, Set up dept, and then dismissed by new CFO, known in the company as an 'expert' prior to her arrival but CFO would not promote! Gives higher jobs to consultants rather than people who know the company.

Cons

No future for anyone who wants to have a life outside of work

Advice to Management

pay attention to what is going on around you, as much as we like to think we hire decent people some people are just cruel and inappropriate; you're accounting department essentially had a total turnover in less than 5 years, there can't be that many accountants that can't do the job. HR is not HR, don't trust them. VP in HR is anti-social(no eye contact) and not in the least bit helpful.

5. Control Room can be stressful but rewarding

Current Employee - Systems Operator in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Operator in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Brookfield Renewable Power full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Annual review process is fair, and the reviewers put effort into making it as objective as possible. Plenty of opportunity to develop control room related technical skills. Rotating shift work can provide some time management benefits. Opportunity to advance in management, if so desired.

Cons

Control room personnel somewhat isolated from everyone not involved in power plant operations. Hours worked per week can become tedious with vacations and/or training. Some control room positions seem undermanned versus the tasking available. Opportunities to advance in fields other than management currently seem rare.

6. It was a fantastic internship opportunity.

Former Employee - National Control Center Intern in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - National Control Center Intern in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power

Pros

Great learning experience for an Intern

Cons

More for IT students than engineering students

Advice to Management

The environment was a great place to work in. The work load was good for an internship position and some challenging assignments.

7. Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power

Pros

You can learn alot from the people you work with at this company, everyone was nice and always willing to help

Cons

to be honest there wasnt really that much on the down side, the pay was ok and we got paid time off

Advice to Management

I want to think you fot giving me the chance to show my skills and more up it you company

8. engineer

I have been working at Brookfield Renewable Power

Pros

Good learning experience. lots to learn and work for. People are always helpful when you ask questions.

Cons

Pay you minimum to keep you not walking away from the job.High turn over ratios. It's a financial reporting company, if you are not part of finance/reporting, you are stuck.

9. Working as a market analyst intern in the renewable sector was an excellent experience.

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with very skilled professionals that came from different educational backgrounds.
    I felt like a true member of the team, and everybody was very helpful.
    The the work atmosphere is not stressful at all and I enjoyed every hour that I have spent there

Cons

My only problem was the open space concept of the office, it made it a little bit harder to focus.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. Information Technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I worked at Brookfield Renewable Power full-time

Pros

There is an abundance of project oriented work.
    The culture has a rich diversity - a nice heterogeneous mix.
    The people you work with - team mates and resources - can be the best part of your day.
    Therefore, just know what your getting yourself into after reviewing the Cons. It is still a recommended enviornment - short term

Cons

There is extreme immature reprehensible conduct due to uneducated inexperienced Management.

This translates into a volatile IT environment that turns on a whim, based on an emotional decision without objectivity and without technical understanding (in an IT environment - an obvious challenge).

That simply drives resources to put in the time and move on, making the environment a revolving door; a most difficult environment to support, but can be a good experience.

It eventually will become much better when specific Management personel are purged.

Advice to Management

Purge

11. Good place to start

I have been working at Brookfield Renewable Power full-time

Pros

great place to work, have had a great time here so far, makes it easy to get up in the morning and come to work, exposed to many facets of the business, low stress environment, great place for those with fast learning curve, great group of people, great place for pro-active and self sufficient people as they let you progress at your pace.

Cons

salary scale to low, high turnover, IT

Advice to Management

more recognition for employee performance! and salaries alligned with the industry and with other salaries in the region will keep the staff in place longer.

RSS Feed </> Embed