Brookhaven College

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.3

CEO

Not a company that is family friendly or empathetic to new mothers.

I have been working at Brookhaven College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted classes for full-time employees

Cons

Poor communication between divisions,

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Brookhaven College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved it. It was a great collaborative environment, clear leadership in our department, and we got things done and had the occasional "fun time." It was great balance.

Cons

Pay wasn't all that great, and benefits could be better. Opportunities for advancement are also a little limited, since people stick around for so long.

Improve compensation and benefits, and this place would be perfect.

Not the place to establish and grow a full time career

Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Brookhaven can be a good place for retirees who need a part time job to stay busy/provide a slight supplemental income. May also be good for students working part time who would like to work on campus, although pay will be lower than comparable private sector job. Adjunct faculty who have no desire to become full time and want minimal interaction with students may fit well here. College administrators are very well paid, although these positions are typically filled by individuals who have a special connection to current college administration.

Cons

Brookhaven suffers from a lack of leadership and accountability. Administration is more concerned with protecting their positions than doing what is best for the college and students. Incompetent employees and faculty are promoted, retained. Better employees are targeted by administrators as they pose a threat to the status quo. Pay for adjunct faculty and professional support staff is low, even compared to other educational institutions.

Brookhaven needs a complete change in culture. Promote and reward your best employees. Establish career paths across all positions/departments. Encourage professional development. Provide tuition reimbursement for any course/institution (currently only applies to courses offered within the college district). Make providing educational services the primary emphasis of the college, cease the practice of individuals using the campus as a source of unfettered income.

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Cooperative supervisor and less pressure job.

Cons

Less opportunities for any raise in income or advancement.

Please give your best tutors the opportunity to go above level 1 so that they are rewarded for the time and commitment. Otherwise good tutors will continue to leave in search of other jobs.

ok

I worked at Brookhaven College part-time

Pros

flexible , very friendly employees

Cons

nothing i can think of

Didn't like working here

Current Employee - Department Assistant II in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Department Assistant II in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal Growth.....the district allows for employees to attend class, work towards degrees, etc. & they pay for employees tuition. U can also be reimbursed for textbooks, can rent from the bookstore or library.

Cons

IT A "ONCE A MONTH" PAYCHECK.............

Nice place to work. It's really good place if you want to start a career as a professor.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a faculty member it is a relaxed environment. The kids are pretty cool. If you really put in effort into your lectures, then they will definitely put in effort for you too. Employees are friendly, and the campus is a bit bigger than you'd expect.

Cons

The pay for a part time faculty is pretty low. I'ts about $2150 a semester per class. Depending on the department, the head faculty member may write the test. So you have to be thorough and encourage your students to use online resources, as well as books and notes.

Change some of the "employee protocol". Seems like there are some things that are a little unnecessary and inefficient.

its just a basic job

Current Employee - Tutor in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

get to learn alot and meet new people

Cons

does not have enough hours to incorporate everybody fairly

Beautiful Setting, Challenging Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College

Pros

Grounds and facilites are nice.

Cons

Always trying to do more with less. Never enough funding to do things well.

Keep lobbying our state and federal legislators for equal pay with the private sector and better compensation for the most educated sector of our communities across this country.

Good For Retirement, Bad for Satisfaction

Current Employee - Workforce Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Workforce Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brookhaven College

Pros

If you have already paid into Social Security for 30 years this is a way to get into Texas Teacher's Retirement and have decent benefits at the same time. I miss the 401ks, stock options, bonuses, etc available in business but late in life it is not a bad way to go to supplement retirement income.

Cons

Little chance for advancement, little to no recognition for high job performance, no raises based on performance and no raises at all for last 3 years. Very politically charged atmosphere with a divisive, cut throat attitude by many employees. I worked for an oil field services company and a retail jeweler and I am shocked at the disrespect here compared to the other two companies..

Eliminate and start over with the hiring and annual job evaluation processes. Plan ways for our best and brightest students, upon graduation, to have a career path with the college if they so desire. Design management training for all administrators and if a person is a manager call them a "Manager". Allow Deans and Managers to financially reward the highest performers. If budget cuts are necessary first look at terminating the under achievers on the staff rather than cutting student services. Use automation and advanced process techniques rather than the same, tired, 1970s thinking. I could go on.......

Brookhaven College Photos