Brookline Bancorp Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Brookline Bancorp President and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Brookline Bank Paul A. Perrault
Paul A. Perrault

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brookline Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who are willing to go out of their way to help The customers are the biggest priority The bank continues to expand rapidly which will result in more career opportunities Work/Life balance Competitive Salary

Cons

Very old school mentality in regards to customer base. The bank needs to adapt in order to compete with larger banks that have invested time/money in the technology sector

Advice to Management

Begin putting more focus in startup companies

2. I worked at Brookline Bancorp

Pros

The offices are nice and in a great location in the Back Bay

Cons

Consolidation issues should be slowing down but it can be a challenging environment.

Lot of potential still needs to streamline business model understand consumer base and execute.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brookline Bancorp (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company can get things done efficiently and take market share from the big boys. Compensation is in line with competitors and senior staff has experience to teach junior staff with each department having their own strengths and weaknesses.

Cons

Some folks still have a sleepy savings bank mentality need to separate wheat from the chaff. Its not a 9-4 bank anymore time to step up people's game. A lot of "thanks not my job" mentality and siloed nature of departments.

Advice to Management

Need to set achievable goals then measure and manage to them. Where are we going, how are we going to get there and what is that going to take?

Structured Retail Banking with Unsupportive Management

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Brookline Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at the individual branches, as well as the customers, are mostly friendly. Retirement benefits and matching are excellent. The work itself is not difficult, and the OS used by the Bank is very user-friendly.

Cons

Upper management can be cruel and petty when it comes to staff. I was hired at a lower responsibility position than I'd held at my prior institution and promised more pay and a quick promotion up to the position I'd held, an opportunity which never materialized despite repeated inquiries. I felt victimized, punished, and demoralized on many occasions at the particular branch I worked at. At least three employees were either dramatically fired, requested immediate transfer to another branch, or walked out mid day due to the behavior of the Branch Manager, all within the year I was working there.

Advice to Management

Do not promote people to high level management positions within the branch who are not qualified to manage a staff simply because they have worked for the Bank long-term. Also try to foster an environment where employees actually feel comfortable communicating with Human Resources regarding issues with in-branch Management without fear of repercussion.

6. Great experience

Former Employee - Compliance in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Compliance in Brookline, MA

I worked at Brookline Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Brookline Bank was a great experience, especially as I was starting out my career after college. The company is small, so the experience I was able to get was very diverse. They pride themselves on being able to promote from within. I was able to move up through the ranks fairly quickly, so I'm very grateful. I would probably still be there if I hadn't moved across the country.

Cons

Operations (where I was) is managed very differently than the front-line staff. Communicating across departments could be challenging sometimes, but not immensely difficult. The major "gripe" is that compensation tends to be lower than other companies in the financial services field - although the tradeoff is that you don't feel like you are on the chopping block constantly like with other banks.

Advice to Management

Increase the compensation. The Boston area is expensive. Its a great company to work for, and staff will stay longer if they can afford to.

7. Short Employment but Good Experience

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Boston, MA

I worked at Brookline Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were reasonable Great people to work with

Cons

Career Opportunities Personal Growth

8. Brookline Bank is a solid community bank with a lot of good people.

I worked at Brookline Bancorp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The bank has a strong culture that promotes outstanding customer service. The employees of the Bank are some of the nicest, most talented people you could ever to ask to meet let alone work with and learn from.

Cons

The bank is just big enough to offer a lot of products and services, and also not big enough to offer a lot of potential for advancement.

Advice to Management

1. Start a mentoring program where senior level employees mentor the next generation of leaders in four to six month rotations. 2. Encourage interdepartmental dialogue and help promising, early-career professionals identify potential career tracks and provide pathways for them to get to where they would like to be. 3. Honor your most loyal, long term employees by listening to them about what they would like to do for the Bank, and make it a priority to help them achieve those goals before you lose them.

9. Good company to work for and to grow with

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brookline Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with growth prospects; good colleagues

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning ,same corporate rat race

Advice to Management

Nothing worth mentioning

10. Overall the bank and its staff were great,

I worked at Brookline Bancorp full-time

Pros

Customer Service; Benefits; Overall the bank and its staff were great,

Cons

Too much power delegated to a few employees.

Brookline Bank - General

Current Employee - Teller in Brookline, MA
    Current Employee - Teller in Brookline, MA

I have been working at Brookline Bancorp

Pros

A generally positive environment with leadership that is more than capable, if not always completely understanding. Typically bearable to enjoyable co-workers, customer base, and policies represent a small, but growing financial institution on the upward trend.

Cons

Potential for discord lurks beneath the surface, and it rarely surfaces, the possibility can be somewhat discouraging.

Advice to Management

While progressing strongly and with certainty, be sure to keep recognizing the front line employees, who do the company the biggest service by not only retaining clientele, but actively recruiting new clients, both in accordance with the sales goals, as well as with personal contact unrelated to sales. A disinterested or incompetent facadecan hide even the best run corporation.

RSS Feed </> Embed