Brooklyn College

Updated May 13, 2014

Brooklyn College President Karen L. Gould

Karen L. Gould

Puppies and Rainbows

ProsAll around a good place to learn work and become a better student in school. Also worked as educator in schools teaching certain subjects

ConsThe institution often implements backwards looking plans and systems. The internet frequently does not work as advertised.

Nice people, okay starting salaries, but no resources, no raises

Professor (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsMotivated, hard-working students. Nice colleagues. Great benefits. One of the last defined-benefit pensions available. Great Provost. Some supportive Associate Provosts and Deans, some not so much. Pockets of good leadership. Very helpful new people in HR. Could improve orientation processes and training.

ConsSalaries frozen for 7 years, not great to begin with. No mobility. No resources. Buildings collapsing. Dreadful bureaucracy makes accomplishing things very, very difficult. Lately, problems with curriculum review and enterprise computing have really damaged morale, and it will be years before things recover. Not having a contract since 2007 has also hurt morale. Little credit given for innovation, though it does thrive.

It is a good place to work and is constantly evolving to keep up with changing times.

ProsIt's a stable work environment with good benefits on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Great facilities such as the library, fitness center and lots of on-campus activities.

ConsIt is subject to state budgetary constraints that have trickle-down negative effects on the work environment due to stresses produced by budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communications and community building between management and employees to address negative effects of budget cuts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From an Adjunct Lecturer point of view; Good employer

Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey expect you to teach the course material professionally, with little oversight. Classroom observations occurred twice, and good feed back was provided. The support staff at the Brooklyn College Department of Computer Science was very helpful. Personal mail box, Printing supplies and ordering of review text book copies were all addressed smoothly.

ConsAdjunct hours fluctuated from semester to semester. However, this is par for the course for part-time instructors.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture is excellent there no complaints with that

ConsNot many cons to report

Relaxing job for a part time job

Office Assiasant (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsWork study aid. it is not a difficult job to get your paycheck. It is a boring workplace if you are only talking to supervisors. Flexible hours.

ConsNot a lot of heavy work load, boring, pay little money.

Adjunct Lecturer

Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosinteresting diverse student body, beautiful campus

Conspay could be better, halls could be cleaner, same for the bathrooms

Advice to Senior Managementlower class size

Working at the Brooklyn College has been a dream experience.

College Assistant (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe pay is decent, if you work all your required hours on time you get your check every two weeks. The staff and the supervisors is one of the best things working at this place. They are very friendly, always there to help, always avialable to answer any questions, share their experience, willingly to teach you, resolve problems you encounter and have your back at all times. You just need to bring in a friendly attitude and create a solid relationship with them. Do your part and things will turn out right. Plus a good word from your co-workers and supervisors can do wonders. The hours are flexible, and if they like your work, attitude, and commitment they can promote you to different departments.

ConsDuring the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer sessions known as "Peak Times" the work can be crazy, stressful ,and time consuming. Sometimes classes and work can have a conflict but it is manageable. But this is a part time position, it is unlikely the position might be converted to full time and the benefits are not that great either. If you work for CUNY they pay for your tuition only if you are full time employee, when thats going to happen as I mentioned above unlikely so forget about the tuition.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe short period of time of time that I spend there I had no problems with my supervisors,they are the most amazing and friendly bosses I have ever worked with, the best. The only advice I would give to the Managers who are above the supervisors give new people a chance before laying them off. Judge people on their performance and keep the budget in mind before you hire new people. If budget is short don't hire new people.

If you like low pay, Water Bugs/Mice, and being mistreated, work at Brooklyn College

College Assistant (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsWeekends off. Most offices close at 6pm or earlier Monday through Friday. Very nice campus. Employees are nice that are on your level are nice.

ConsHorrible Pay. Don't Value their employees. Could care less if you are a college graduate from their school. Very little room for growth because they rather keep uneducated people in high positions just because they have been there for ever. Take advantage of you when they realize that you are a good employee. Management is very incompetent!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow ironic is it to be a college that treats their college graduates so poorly. The school preaches opportunity and well paying jobs with the degrees they offered to students but then turn around and pay college grads 10.99 an hour, Joke! Oo and I'm tired of seeing disgusting mice and other rodents, like water bugs or huge roaches throughout the building, CLEAN up!
    Treat people better morons.

Students are great (if you get them to do their work ;)) Administrators are great people, but it's still an institution.

Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGorgeous campus! Teaching is fun! There is a lot of flexibility in how you make your curriculum.

ConsNo $$$$ (the word "salary" is a misnomer)

Advice to Senior Managementpay your adjuncts more.

Worked for Brooklyn College? Contribute to the Community!