Brooklyn Hospital Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brooklyn Hospital Center President and CEO Richard Becker

Richard Becker

"Learning To Love What You Do"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI gained a lot of experience while working at Brooklyn Hospital. I also met wonderful people that was very passionate about their jobs.

ConsWorking with people that just want a paycheck and not actually doing what they love. Being miserable and transferring it to others is not a good look.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers need to be more understanding and give people an opportunity to take care of personal matters, when it is presented. We, the people do work for our paid vacations and sick time!

great people and staff

ProsGreat coworkers and management, willing to work with you.

Consbeing in a clinic setting you see a lot of patients.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

The Hospital is not ready for growth

ProsLocation, Diversity, Size, Employee Benefits

ConsThe 1199 Union is holding the facility back

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider executing significant changes to the 1199 Union contract. The union is antiquated in terms of its thinking and operations. Union leaders feel that the hospital is completely under their control and have carte blanche to make decisions that affect personnel. Union members are undereducated, complacent, feel entitled, and don't feel any pressure to improve. The hospital has a prime location surrounded by a growing population of privately insured, affluent professionals; yet they cannot get full access to that revenue stream because many members of the staff are unable to give even a basic telephone greeting, much less actual care. Hospital leaders should begin evaluating 80-90% of the staff and eliminating anyone that does not measure up, you cannot expect that someone with barely a high school education and no command of basic grammar will be able to present a professional image. The Union should not have a say on hiring decisions, internal movement, or disciplinary actions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A interesting experience

Brooklyn, NY

ProsUnions, room to advance ,somewhat of a family

ConsInconsiderate workers they for get where they started

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ones that do the work they can tell you what works and what don't

Egos and Attitudes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities for learning, lots of available hours, varied patient population, plenty of equipment and supplies. Layout of the hospital is easy to learn and conducive to work.

ConsNo team camraderie. Nurses are over-worked and bitter, many physicians are unappreciative and narcissistic. Residents are largely unhappy, and there are way too many patients for the amount of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff to avoid burning out your employees and creating an environment where patients ultimately suffer.

My experience was both rewarding and disappointment.

Pca (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

Prosworking at Brooklyn hospital you learn to do different functions. You get to help so many people and that made me feel good as a person.

ConsIn the end I give 9years with a clean record to Brooklyn hospital and because of one mistake not involving a patient I was asked to leave. I was very disappointed with the treatment I received.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress employee cares, concerns and safety as you do for your patients.

This is a profit oriented institution: patients and employees are not priorities.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsYou can get an experience and learn a lot while working in the constant changing environment.

ConsLack of communication, trust, recognition for a good work and achievement. Employees are treated as a "disposable things", regardless of their commitment and dedication.

Advice to Senior ManagementCode of Ethics should not be only empty words.

I learned Medical terminology, the specialty the doctor I worked for and illnesses of the patients.

Medical Secretary (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsStability, ability to learn or expand on what you already know and working together.

ConsDistance from home, if they have layoffs the effect it has on people and if there is no team work.

Not a place for someone under 30.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat location, tight knit community.

ConsUnion employees who have been at the hospital for 15+ years bring this place down, they are so complacent and management can't do anything about it. Every single dollar spent out of the budget needs to be run past the director of finance before you can make any purchase--there isn't even petty cash anymore for a purchase that you can't get out of one of the standard companies they purchase from.

Senior Management have no people skills (or at least the head of the department I work in doesn't).

Current supervisor doesn't communicate with employees or value employee feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, promote from within, get rid of Senior Management who don't have good people skills.

management issues make for a subpar work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe employees' seem to be caring people.

Consmanagement says one thing and does another.

Worked for Brooklyn Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brooklyn Hospital Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brooklyn Hospital Center CEO Richard Becker. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Brooklyn Hospital Center employees.