Brooklyn Museum

Updated July 1, 2014

Arnold L. Lehman

Great place to work,

I have been working at Brooklyn Museum full-time

Pros

schedule is perfect, to work in.

Cons

Monday and Tuesday the museum is closed so you been working on the weekend.

Place full of snubs people

I have been working at Brooklyn Museum full-time

Pros

Exceptional co workers who are great to work with

Cons

Poor leadership, no place for growing

Not the best but not the worst either!

I have been working at Brooklyn Museum full-time

Pros

Schedule, flexibility, vacation, sick, holiday. Low employee contribution to benefits.

Cons

Not a very professional place to work. Longevity is an excuse for inappropriate behavior. Salaries are in line with non profits so of course it is on the low end of the spectrum.

Upper management is outdated and not in touch with current trends. There is great talent within the staff that could carry the museum so much further but the upper management is stuck in an 80s mindset. It may be time for some top level employees to consider retirement and passing the torch on to more equipped leaders!

Brooklyn Museum Response

Mar 24, 2014HR Generalist, Volunteer Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to offer a competitive compensation package to our employees including medical, dental, vision, 401k & employee pension plan at little to no cost to our ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

I have been working at Brooklyn Museum part-time

Pros

A very nice and friendly environment with passionate people who really care about the museum. The art collections are outstanding.

Cons

Even if some of the benefits are good (holidays, health), the salaries are some of the lowest in the New York museum art world. Take a job at the BM if you are passionate about art, not about the money.

Brooklyn Museum Response

Mar 24, 2014HR Generalist, Volunteer Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. A healthy work environment is important and we are glad that you enjoy, not only our collections, but the professionalism and dedication of your ... More

Great museum, but working there was disappointing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum as an intern

Pros

You get to work in a world-class museum and to look at so much amazing artwork; the name is recognizable so it looks good on your resume; they are really community oriented as an institution, which isn't always the case in the art world.

Cons

People working around me weren't very friendly and often seemed frustrated, maybe because the salaries are low; there isn't much support working here, and there doesn't seem to be much mobility in terms of moving up.

Offering better salaries would maybe help boost morale.

Great environment for arts internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everybody at the museum is super willing to help, they keep a very positive attitude. They have a lot of events/ parties within the museum community so overall a very pleasant environment. Departments are small so you get to know curators in person. You also get a membership card for the Heart of Brooklyn consortium.

Cons

Zero upward mobility.
    Very slow work days. Even though my supervisors were willing to assign me tasks, there wasn't much intellectually stimulating work for anyone apart from the curators.
    No matter how well you perform, your internship most likely won't turn into a full-time offer.
    Low salaries.

No experience with management.

Good introduction to the not for profit art world (Education department)

Current Employee - Data Research and Collection  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Data Research and Collection in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Brooklyn Museum as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People passionate about their work
    Opportunity for hands on experience
    Real assignments with impact

Cons

Lack of constant communication or attempt to keep interns in the loop
    No training (especially for the project I was working on)

Recognize the collective needs of the departments

Think twice, especially in how this will benefit your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing collection, beautiful building, great location.

This is a world class institution that offers deep cultural benefits. It's underutilized nature creates a wonderful 'night at the musuem' like working environment. You can get intimately acquainted with the collection and the space with very little interference from the public.

Free entry into other museums and discounted access to some local non-profits like BAM are great.

Benefits are solid. You even get a pension. This might be good if you're at the end of your professional line, but not so much if you're at the start and contributing peanuts... but hey, it's better than nothing.

Cons

Management does not seem to care about performance, rather focusing on attendance. Performance evaluations are non-existent or filled out solely by management. There is no feedback channel. The Personnel Department has no teeth. Junior staff is left to fend for it's own.

Salaries are puny and there is virtually no upward mobility. Senior management has a death grip on their positions. Many have been there for decades. There seems to be no concerted effort to right this trend. Siloed departments fight for attention and generally derail progress and productivity in the process.

There is a pervasive attitude that you should feel lucky that you even have a job. The culture is one of mass disappointment and disapproval.

The place garners much attention through negative publicity.

10+ years in your role means that you're part of the problem. Please stop taking advantage your staff, especially the young and eager.

One in a lifetime experience working here. Enjoyed it thoroughly

I worked at Brooklyn Museum as an intern

Pros

Great working environment. Allows for creativity.

Cons

salary is not that competitive

Amazing Place to Start a Museum Career

Former Employee - Education Intern  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Education Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at BK Museum as an intern is like working with a family. People from all levels and departments are supportive and caring and want each you to succeed. Structure of internship gives a lot of responsibility and visibility into the inner workings of the museum. The research paper component allows for the interns to come away with a piece of work that is tangible and shows the depth of what was learned in the 10 months.

Cons

There is a high turn over and the compensation is very low. It is an internship in the arts, but it's also a full time job for 10 months, so the amount that I was paid in the time that I did it was very hard to survive on. Also difficult to have another job as there is so much work to do there is little time for much else.

Provide more support in terms of finding a job beyond the BK Museum after the internship.

Worked for Brooklyn Museum? Contribute to the Community!