Brooks Automation Reviews

Brooks Automation President, CEO, and Director Stephen S. Schwartz
Stephen S. Schwartz

Depressing

I have been working at Brooks Automation

Pros

co-workers are great
    middle mgmt good to work with

Cons

management out of touch
    shipping dollars are all that matter

Tough Environment in a rough industry

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Brooks Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to product lifecycle, get really good detailed understanding of semiconductor automation

Cons

Business cycle leads to lots of sudden shifts in strategy and employment. Very small market customer base of very large customers that treat this company like and indentured supplier. Very difficult to build a career with all the shifts and changes... quickly becomes a place where you punch a clock and keep your resume fresh...

Consider building career paths for core people and build a strategy and operation around a flexible work force rather than outsourcing to foreign countries and treating employees like freely available commodities...

Brooks Automation: Where Good Engineers Go To Die.

Current Employee - Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Brooks Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, A lot of Responsibility, Constant Challenges, Company that would like to grow.

Cons

This company struggles to find an identity; buys and guts great companies so they can wring out every bit of revenue with as little resources as possible.

Brooks is good at making money, and if that's all that matters than you could say they are doing a good job. For creating a positive company and beloved brand that people love to work for they need to show that they are spending resources towards hiring great engineers (not C-listers from a related industry and bandaging everything) and planning for career development. Currently there is no feeder for new engineers at this company. They pick up bottom of the barrel experienced employees at a bargain price, wring them dry and then find some other sucker to exploit.

5. Good and flexible.

I have been working at Brooks Automation

Pros

Challenging assignment.
    Flexible hours
    Great coworkers.
    Pay for getting master degree.

Cons

Less pay
    Less vacation days.
    Less attention given to process.

Stop buying companies that do not make sense.

6. Okay Company But Semiconductor Industry is Cyclical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Brooks Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people. Good product.

Cons

Semiconductor industry is cyclical so every few years a substantial portion of the workforce is laid-off.

Mgmt is not committed to employees.

Stay away, much better companies to work for

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Brooks Automation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting and diverse customer base
    Interesting and diverse product portfolio

Cons

Business decisions are all gross margin driven. No consideration for existing customers (only future customers). Employee treatment is way down on the priority list – near the bottom. This is a very short term mentality. Sales are flat to down, and company barely produces a profit (or loses money) on $500M in sales. Let those numbers speak for themselves.

When I started there, company was laying off. When I left, company was laying off. There is no security there. As a new hire – you are the minority against the established workers, whose number 1 priority is to keep their job – so terrible work environment. Politics is some of the worst I’ve seen, with managers often providing zero support to their team members, in order to have someone to blame/fire when things go wrong. And go wrong they do – because the company’s focus is on Sales, not engineering, manufacturing or service. The operations is a cluster, with problems so deep, as you peel back the onion, the problems just get deeper and bigger!

HR has zero power, and is a sycophant to the executive team. Pay is well below average for semiconductor equipment, except in Sales. Company focus is Sales. All other departments are 3rd class citizens (engineering, manufacturing, service, etc.).

When I starting working at Brooks, I would interface with other people/companies, and I met a lot of former Brooks employees. I mean many, many former employees. That’s because the turnover rate the last 10+ years is very, very high. Check LinkedIn.com for ex Brooks employees and you’ll understand what I am referring to. I have many friends at the top equipment companies ($3B in sales and up) - and Brook’s bad reputation is not only well known, but during some interviews I had, they actually stated they will never do business with Brooks again. Stay away from Brooks, employee job satisfaction is at an industry low, for valid reasons!

8. Try to avoid it

I worked at Brooks Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

most of the workers are helpful, a lot of products, of legacy, which ones can learn,

Cons

to many to list, the most is lacking of vision and no sensible processes of improvement

learn to know the business you are in, the products you are managing and study what the customers really need.

9. Solid first internship

Former Intern - Electrical Engineering in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Electrical Engineering in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Brooks Automation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people! All were friendly and welcoming and willing to teach an inexperienced new person. I didn't meet an engineer I didn't like. Great opportunity to learn for me.

Cons

Sometimes they seemed stuck in the past - much like any company takes a while to change. When I got there they had just upgraded to Windows 7.

If you want to plan an end of the summer thing with your interns find out their end dates first.....

10. Uggh

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Brooks Automation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Committed Coworkers, Excellent Engineering and Good Pay

Cons

This is the greatest example of an over corporatized company. Except they need to be light and agile to excel in this field.

Address the needs of all your customers from the beginning, or at least find out what they are before spending millions on R&D

11. Meh- remain in contract forever

I have been working at Brooks Automation

Pros

Semi flexible work hours, meet some great people to work ewith

Cons

Product driven, weekend work expected.