Brooks Bell Reviews

Brooks Bell
1 Rating

Great company, great culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Brooks Bell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and a great culture.

I worked for this company for 2 years and made great friends, advanced my career and worked on some really interesting projects. With beer taps, a ping pong table, a nap room and 2 new arcade games, it's definitely a place that makes you enjoy coming to work everyday and I'm honestly sad to be leaving.

The key here is the quality of people they hire. They go through a long and in-depth interview process, but in the end it's worth it. Everyone hired at Brooks Bell is smart, personable and have great work ethics.

The company is growing fast but they always take time to lay out their vision of where they are going and what their goals are to get there. They are very transparent and very open about how the company is doing and how much the company is making which always is a motivator for the employees.

Overall this is a great place to work and I fell very lucky to have gotten the chance to work here and be a part of a special team with a special culture.

Cons

Towards the end of my time at Brooks Bell it seemed as if they were very focused on process and utilization. I don't know if you can say that is a 'con' because it's probably necessary to do as the company grows, but I think too much of that would start to effect the culture negatively .

Keep being honest, open and transparent...it's what makes this place special.

Strange priorities and expectations

I worked at Brooks Bell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Snacks, Nerf guns, goofing off practically required

Cons

This company has strange priorities and expectations. I met deadlines, turned in high-quality work, and completed even my stretch goals, but was told I was not "committed" enough because I didn't spend extra time at work just to hang out with my co-workers.

Additionally, I was given very little feedback on my work performance even when I specifically asked what I could do to make things easier for other people, make final products better quality, or improve communications. I was treated extremely disrespectfully upon my exit from the company.

Worry less about culture and more about the individuals you manage. Just because the company looks great to potential recruits doesn't mean you're making your employees happy. Listen to them when they ask for things and have complaints, and, yes, even when they disagree with you-- don't just write them off as having a bad attitude.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free snacks, coffee, beer.
    Executive team includes the staff in big decisions.
    Awesome work/life balance with most people here from 830-530. I get almost no emails when I'm on vacation, on the weekends, or past 6.
    Some days people bring in their kids.
    The leadership team you KNOW wants you to be doing something you love.
    Our office is pretty darn awesome.

Cons

Some of the "lower" technical staff members don't get the recognition they deserve.

Keep staff members "in the know" about higher level things that are going on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work ... For Some

I worked at Brooks Bell

Pros

They do hire some really great, dedicated, smart people who work very hard. Work life balance is incredible, especially for the industry. Health, dental, and 401K contributions are also nice.

Cons

Top heavy "Leadership Team" which makes up about 40% of the company.
    Hiring decisions that don't make sense (hiring another person for leadership instead of a desperately needed creative team member).
    ZERO opportunity for advancement, raises, or training.
    A CEO who is never present, has unrealistic goals, doesn't know what is going on day to day, and will only interact with "leadership".
    The company is an ego trip for someone who has never worked a day in her life for anyone else. One day there is no money to pay the staff, the next they are hiring like crazy, putting on an expensive conference, and upgrading office space. There is always money to support her vision but not the dedicated people who do the work.

Trim the fat! Too many layers of management for a small company!
    Invest in the people who do the work.
    Stop adding to a useless leadership team.
    No one cares about the Click Conference. That money would be better spent on staff development.
    Be more transparent. Where does all the money come from to fuel this ego trip?
    Value and grow your clients. Stop looking for the perfect client.

good people, bad business.

I have been working at Brooks Bell

Pros

I met some great and funny people

Cons

the work lacks creativity
    the account team mimics "strategy"
    business decisions don't make sense
    owner detached with business actions and approaches the business with a "let's try this" mentality
    three creative directors and two "interactive" designers shows poor business decisions

It is amazing this company is still around. There must be financial support coming from somewhere.

If you are thinking about joining Brooks Bell Interactive. Run. Run fast and hard.

Not a very stable place to work.

I worked at Brooks Bell

Pros

The employees were the companies best asset. They hired the most fun, passionate and talented people who really put their all into making a difference at the company.

Cons

Very low pay grade with no hope of raises.
    Very low morale because of poor management.
    Felt like management kept a lot of important information from its employees.
    Company direction changes daily.
    Unfair and unjust treatment of employees.
    Little to no career or professional growth opportunities.
    Favoritism.

Be more honest and open with the employees. Treat them with respect and give them opportunities to become better. Just give them hope; hope for more opportunities, more stability, and more money.

Great.... sometimes.

I have been working at Brooks Bell

Pros

They have great benefits and it's a nice atmosphere to work in. Most of the people they employ are fun to be around.

Cons

The ebb and flow of work creates for a sometimes stressful period. Management tries to be transparent but sometimes doesn't feel that way.

Truly, a great place to work!

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time

Pros

I have worked for several companies during my career, so this review speaks from having a well rounded view of work environments. The company makes it a priority to hire smart, funny, personable and talented individuals. It's team is one of the best features!

The leadership team does a great job of establishing realistic company goals that entire teams can be apart of. The company has the highest level of transparency I have ever seen. There are weekly huddles giving the entire staff updates on projects, testing wins/losses and financial updates. Everyone truly has a sense of what is going on with the company at any given time. This is followed up with quarterly staff meetings diving a bit deeper into the weekly topics.

There is a great energy in our office and everyone helps out when other team members have additional projects start. All employees are encouraged to take an active role in their work life balance and happiness. If there other skills/talents you are interested in learning, the company and leadership team actively supports your interest and assists you in getting that training.

But happiness is a two way street, and you are expected to help make that happen. If you don't perform, or you start to show a high level of negativity and disrespect for your co-workers, you probably aren't a right fit for this team.

Benefits are good, work life balance is great, wonderful office space, respect and support from leadership, amazing executive team, free snacks, workout room, etc. Highly recommend.

Cons

Pay is slightly below average, but the work/life balance, office space, employee culture and benefits make up for that.

This really is a great company to work for!

Putting the cult in culture

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks, beer, nice office, decent benefits, and time off.

Cons

If you are not drinking the kool-aid, you are gone. They have done a great job instilling fear among the staff. Act happy or you're out. The company is a joke and would be out of business if it weren't for the owner's husband selling his company for over $30 million. One day he may get sick of the money pit that is BB and look to make a real investment.

Value and promote your employees. Stop hiring younger and younger, with less experience. Allow open and honest feedback without fear of retaliation. Consider hiring a more honest stylist who insists on spanx. Stop changing directions annually. Consider your staff when opening up the kitchen to the shared work space.

Great and getting better!

I have been working at Brooks Bell full-time

Pros

- Passionate leadership and exec team that really cares about the company
    - Executives put their employees and clients first, even if it affects profit
    - We have a culture that truly lives our core values and mission
    - We're in a cutting edge, growing industry and we're becoming a leading company in our space

Cons

- Pay is a little below market, but the culture, office environment, benefits and work-life balance easily make up for that

Thank you for making this a great place to work

Worked for Brooks Bell? Contribute to the Community!