Brooks Brothers Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Really like the store managers and employees - very supportive. Enjoy the clients and love the clothing

I have been working at Brooks Brothers (More than a year)

Pros

Owners of BB have totally gutted the company. Owners say they are trying to position company for the future. This month owner abolished all commissions, reduced hours and dropped hourly wages so low that you can't support yourself. Owners wants to attract college kids as sales people and pay them $9 an hour and rid itself of experienced sales professionals that Brooks brothers clients rely upon year in and year out. Clients should start to see big changes this holiday season when the level of service they expect is no longer there. Owner is cheapening the company. Just sell it for heaven's sake

Cons

It's sad to watch an American company sell itself and its employees short.

Advice to Management

Sell the company before you completely destroy it

2. Great experience

Pros

Loved the team that I was working on as well as not being separated from everyone by sitting in cubicles. It allows you to meet a lot of people.

Cons

I believe some of the rules make the environment less approachable for a younger person. A lot of other companies seem to be younger and team based

Advice to Management

Believe that the management does a great job communicating with their teams on projects that are being completed at the time

It was good. Sadly, the company is cutting costs and will not pay commission anymore. The company has lost identity.

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good discount. There is a built is client base, and reputation. Most of the clothing is still very much top notch.

Cons

The growth is minimal. The pay is not competitive. The discount is good, but you're not paid enough to afford clothes anymore. The customer has expectations that can't be met, and the company doesn't know who they want to be. Lots of recent corporate turnover has trickled down to hurt the stores. It's not a place for career sales people, because there is no commission, and the hourly rates are insulting. Lots of seasoned staff and management are jumping ship. That should speak volumes.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you are. There was a legacy that our customers remember, and expect. It's going away. Don't let it.

Excellent education especially in business planning and community outreach.

Former Employee - Market Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Market Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, passion, values and continued focus on the future.

Cons

Too many continual upper management changes. A privately owned company has too many people at the beck and call of one individual who calls all the shots. Can at times be frustrating, especially in luxury fashion.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping a simple message and being relevant in fashion.

Associate

I have been working at Brooks Brothers part-time

Pros

Great brand, tradition, and world-class product as well as committed associates.

Cons

Slightly below average hourly rate for industry, tough place for young energy.

Sales Associate

I worked at Brooks Brothers part-time

Pros

Great company rich with history and great quality merchandise. Sales training and coaching varies store to store.

Cons

Being a part-time retail associate, the hours were not great.

Advice to Management

Value your sales associates. It is not the fault of the sales associate that sales are off. Work on motivating and coaching employees.

Not What They Used To Be

Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at BB was an educational experience in the history of the clothing business. I enjoyed working with my colleagues who were supportive in every way.

Cons

The company seems to be doing everything in its power to go out of business. From hiring the worst possible management to paying its sales staff 100% commission in a slow and inexpensive business to poor inventory management and supply chain, BB made it impossible for sales associates to make money. You're seriously telling me that the only time I make money is when I sell something, but the company is so short on resources that there is nothing to sell? A bad formula for growth.

Advice to Management

In an exit interview, a district manager told me that finding another job is not the correct solution to my problem. But now, I'm making considerably more money than Brooks Brothers could pay me, working for a much more prestigious clothing organization with serious opportunity for advancement, and being constantly courted by competitors. Leaving was absolutely the correct solution for me, and it is not an employee's job to stay with a company, it is a company's job to incentivize them to stay. My advice to management (and "upper" management) is to find a way to keep your good employees.

9. Horrible company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ok benefits but this will possibly change soon

Cons

Cut pay, favoritism, management doesn't know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Sell the company

decent company

Current Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people, good benefits, great work space

Cons

highly disorganized, lack of leadership

Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time

Pros

Awesome discount on clothes and ability to move up in the company.

Cons

Company has poor leadership at the top.

RSS Feed </> Embed