Brooks Brothers

Updated December 12, 2014
3.4

Brooks Brothers CEO Claudio Del Vecchio
Claudio Del Vecchio

Pros
  • Good Work Benefits, Nice Work enviroment, fast paced, nice employee discount (in 12 reviews)

• I think the biggest pros are the work life balance and the donations to st (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes there can be competition between sales associates due to commission-based pay (in 9 reviews)

• Communication is a bit broken from corporate, but upper management is aware and they understand most of the issues (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor local management; corporate office aloof and uninvolved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time

Pros

Great place to meet and interact with high-end clientele on a personal level; grow your client list with a personal touch and know them by-name. Good employee discounts.

Cons

Corporate and local managers uncaring about associates; violate labor guidelines expecting employees to work last minute, unannounced overtime; could care less about employee families or personal life; expect personnel to " work through" lunch and advise you to "brown bag it" to work alone for more than 5 hrs without lunch breaks or bathroom relief. Do not lock store at advertised closing.. door open policy for after hours stragglers when shopping plaza is nearly deserted puts employees into an unsecured environment when closing out registers and cleaning up store.

Eliminate openly hostile environment where employee theft and physical threats are tolerated. Stop open humiliation and disrespect of associates practices. Enforce equal pay for equal work laws and guidelines. Ensure strict adherence to labor laws regarding opportunity for lunch and toilet breaks. Aggressively stop age and ethnicity discrimination and discourage favoritism; treat every employee as a valued asset instead of indentured servants. Provide regular employee training growth, performance feedback with positive encouragement to improve. Create a friendly work spirit of teamwork and camaraderie yet maintain positive incentives for exceptional accomplishments without growing jealousy or resentment.. Company policies not published and local interpretation changes almost daily creates frustration and confused direction; please publish company vision, core values and specific policies. Fear of reprisal exists if one chooses not to voluntarily contribute to company charities; end coercion and make charity contributions anonymous.

Deteriorating

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long established and well-known for their beautiful and well-crafted clothing (in some areas).

Cons

Going through some growing pains as they try to bring the company up to speed and reach a market that believes the style is outdated.

Care more for your people, invest in your associates, give them better training and the ability to learn additional skill sets. Stop relying on the same people year-after-year to lead campaigns.

Sales Associate With Brooks Brothers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent earning potential for those that work for it

Cons

no balance. long hrs and employees are required to clean store/bathrooms each day before opening. And fold clothes at night. store closes at 7 but you do not get out until 8:30/9 each night

Overall a very positive experience so far

Current Employee - Information Technology in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company seems focused on doing the right things: Making quality product, treating their employees well, and making changes at the technical level. The benefits choices are superb.

Cons

Some of the organizational structure is very confusing as to who reports to whom and why. Management sometimes drags their feet on paperwork/administrative functions.

Rewarding met career goals immediately is important. Avoiding the in-place policy of an annual performance review and goal setting/achievements undermines the organizational message of how important employees are.

Lot of work for what they actually pay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to make friends, and the benefits package is competitive with other retailers.

Cons

Too many management changes. In the three years that I worked for them, we had Three different Store managers. It's a revolving door, therefore I never felt comfortable working there. With every new manager comes new policy changes, and the housecleaning where they begin to watch who they want to keep and who they want to get rid of. Corporate has no idea what goes on at store level. Reviews are supposed to be done monthly, however the last time I was reviewed was one year ago. The worst part is that you are expected to work a lot of non selling hours when your entire paycheck depends on the amount you sell. It's a full commission environment. If you know what "Draw Pay" means, I suggest you stay away from Brooks Brothers. My last manager created a hostile work environment by enquiring about what other sales people are doing on the sales floor and wanting me to inform.

District managers need to keep a closer eye on whats going on at store level. Renegade managers are common. For example managers who don't stick to the rules like giving illegal discounts to customers.

Its Retail

I worked at Brooks Brothers

Pros

The hours are flexible and the training is good. The quality of the product is great and selling it is easy. They have very loyal clients.

Cons

Working every weekend can make it tough. Usually need to work two opening shifts, two closing shifts, and one swing shift.

If they could be more consistent that would be helpful. Please do not do corporate visits during the very busiest times of the year.

Not so good..not so bad either!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

The corporate hours are not flexible. You will have to stay from 9 to 5.30 even if you are done with your work. Too many politics in the company. Some people don't deserve their high positions.

They need to really promote people from within instead of hiring someone else.

Wonderful company to work for. Great benefits. Truly care about the welfare of their employees.

I have been working at Brooks Brothers full-time

Pros

Good Pay
    Caring management
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Average stresses of retail
    Unstable schedule

The company provided an excellent look into professional wardrobes for both men and women

Former Employee - Sales Associate Factory Outlet in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Factory Outlet in Mebane, NC

I worked at Brooks Brothers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was nice to dress up every day, and the discount was great

Cons

Folding shirts and pants was a mundane task to be doing so often

Brooks Brothers was a great place to work.

I worked at Brooks Brothers full-time

Pros

We had a terrific group to work with. It was a real family atmosphere where the team always had each others backs.

Cons

We often ran into stock issues. The new styles that we featured didn't always sell as well as the old standards, We were often out of stock on core items that our long time customers still desired.