Brookstone

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James M. Speltz

Pros
  • 30% employee discount on brookstone products(in 13 reviews)

• Lots of training, great products, interesting customers(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't meet sales goals, it's always your fault(in 10 reviews)

• Management wants you to sell a BIG TICKET item for them every month(in 7 reviews)

Brookstone

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsFlexible hours and good management. They were really great with training employees on how to actually sell, instead of just showing you where things are in the store.

ConsThey never really understood the customer. It was clear the people who did the marketing have nevewr actually worked on a store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on figuring out what the customer actually wants.

Great Part Time Job

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Lone Tree, CO

ProsBrookstone pays very well for a part time job. I made $8.50 as a first job salary as a sales associate and was promoted to 2nd assistant manager within a year and my salary was bumped to $9.25. This doesn't include a $50 commission for chair sales and a $2 per hour bonus for meeting sales goals. The hours were flexible and the my associates were great to work with, there was a very laid back atmosphere. Good selling training, very sales focused job.

ConsNot a consistent schedule, high turnover of co-workers.

The Brookstone Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsUnlimited seasonal hours, customers love the store, great holiday gifts, many locations, interactive selling experience, small store size (good for product knowledge)

ConsVery high management turn over (3 GMs in 3 years), limited non-peak season hours, pressure for register items and protection plans, manager needed to make returns

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They will use you till they are no longer satisfied with your help

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsYou get to play and demo gadgets, plus if you make your sales goals you get 2 dollars extra per hour (rare)

ConsManagement does not care about you, only about sales. They will fire you almost instantly if you are not capable of mass sales. They would rather hire new people into management with no experience rather than training from within. You can have better sales than managers yet you will still be disciplined for not doing well enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more growth from within, the sales associates run the stores, you would be nowhere without us. Spend more time helping rather than hindering our success. Comapny has already gone bankrupt, listen to the employees before it happens again.

Very Satisfied

Customer Service Representative & Email Specialist (Former Employee) Mexico, MO

Prosgreat co-workers, good compensation, fun work enviornment, stable hours

Consrude customers, at times it can get a bit stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking at Brookstone was very fun and entertaining. The management team works extremely well with flexibility and scheduling. When you apply here you should know there will be times it is crazy busy and there will be some overtime; which I personally enjoyed. As a company and an overall work experience I have no complaints.

It was an interesting experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe workers were interested, easy going, and engaging.

ConsOccasionally you could get in trouble for things that weren't exactly your fault. Like people not purchasing the toy of the month, or or your co-workers talking to you when you are trying to avoid them and focus on work. Essentially, it's the same thing everywhere with managers who think they know every detail of what's going on when they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementParticipate in some of the heavy lifting. It provides incentive and a sense of camaraderie, even though there might be neither.

Solid job with decent pay and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, employee purchases decent amount of paid time off.

ConsStores need more payroll hours, long shifts during holidays.

Gold Star

Store Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFun environment! Great corporate partners and superiors.

ConsFinancial debt, lack of stock, and lack of stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for the sales deficit. Pushing the pressure down the pipe kills moral and belief in the company.

"Fun tech, relaxed environment"

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Spring Valley, NY

ProsAlways fun to see new products. Product demos can be very fun; flying drones, playing music, driving around toy cars, etc. If you meet your sales goals, management is very nice and relaxed. Minor commission on items.

ConsUnrealistic sales goals. If you don't meet sales goals, it's always your fault. A lot of pressure from senior management who only looks at numbers and not the circumstances.

I was recruited away from another job only to have them file for bankruptcy and then close my store.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsPay, benefits and incentives were good. It was not a difficult job and incentives were obtainable with diligence and a good work ethic.

ConsThe company is going through major changes and due to their filing chapter 11 they will be bought out. They had said that during the filing no stores would be closed and yet our store, and others, were closed during this process. They are not trustworthy when it comes to communication. They are an open door but speak lies. I was recruited from another job to come to Brookstone and then they let me go when they closed my store instead of offering me another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest!

Worked for Brookstone? Contribute to the Community!