Brookwood Medical Center Reviews

1. RN

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Brookwood Medical Center

Pros

Family oriented,new research, New Women's Center, robotics.

Cons

Too many layoffs! Rather than relocating the displaced workers they are laid off often without any notice regardless of tenure.

Advice to Management

Move internal candidates rather than laying off and hiring externally.

2. For the most part great place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Brookwood Medical Center

Pros

Good work environment. Love the team work and their ability to try to keep staff happy. Tuition remembursment is great.

Cons

Pay could be more marketable. Insurance is horrible.

3. poor company ethics

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Petal, MS
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Petal, MS

I worked at Brookwood Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have great staff in the education department that try to assist in helping new nurse grads. Great food at night with great staff in the kitchen.

Cons

When it comes time to fulfill their obligation for their staff and keep their word for what they promise for their employees they fail. Their ethics are not any good and are not good for their new grads or new nurses and this in turn causes a high turn over rate and many unhappy employees. Patients are not happy with treatment due to all what is going on and if change does not take place with higher management this will cause this organization to fail.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and make sure when you say something about what is expected for your employees that your words have value and meaning, don't just say it to fill a position or to try to please someone in the moment. Make a real change that means something for the safety of your patients and your staff such as training your new employees mainly your nurses instead of putting them on the floor and excusing the behavior because you are short staffed...not acceptable.

5. Night shift RN

I worked at Brookwood Medical Center

Pros

Coworkers were great and very helpful on the night shift.

Cons

Over worked; unsafe for RN and patients.

6. upper management unsupportive of staff

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Brookwood Medical Center full-time

Pros

my co-workers are wonderful, but that is not surprising, nurses are some of the friendliest, funniest and supportive people you will every meet.

Cons

the dominate theme seems to be, if there is a problem, punish the nurses. they seem to think that that fixes everything.

we usually have 5-6 patients and frequently no or only one PCA. so we are doing our jobs plus the PCA's job. we are constantly load with more and more thing that they want us to do, and criticized for not doing more, when we are running around like our hair is on fire already.

as a nurse, there is no sense that upper management is on your side. we are treated like we are replaceable and unimportant. as some one who prides herself in being a hard worker, i've always felt like a valued worker wherever i have worked. this is the first time i have not been treated like i'm valued.

my loyalty is to my co-workers because things get harder for us when people leave, but the adversarial attitude of upper management makes it uncomfortable to work there at times i'm not sure i'll be able to stay another year.

the health insurance is just awful.

Advice to Management

start valuing your nursing staff. make it clear that doctors should be respectful and professional in their dealing with nurses. nurses fairly SWIM in a sea of sexual harassment perpetrated by doctors.

7. Horrible upper management and keeps getting worse.

Current Employee - Clerical in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Clerical in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Brookwood Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The worker bees have a close relationship. They stick together and help each other. The staff is friendly and do things for one another.

Cons

Horrible pay. Upper management only worry about the money. Only hire new grads to save money. Management will throw you under the bus. The turnover rate is horrible. If they are ready to fire you they will find a reason.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees. Especially the ones that are loyal and have been there forever. Take a good look at the managers and see how they treat their employees. For zero retaliation company there is sure a lot of it.

8. It's an experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Brookwood Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and pay is ok, but not great.

Cons

Some areas of the hospital could use some major updates

Advice to Management

Stop being so tight with budget money and use it to improve the appearance of the facility and upgrade all gate access points.

9. Very poor upper management support.

I have been working at Brookwood Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At present, I can't think of one.

Cons

Little support, they acquire and acquire and don't take care of existing departments. No job security.

RSS Feed </> Embed