Brother International

Updated August 20, 2014

2.9

Toshikazu Koike
1 Rating

Not as good as it used to be.

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

The company was doing very well recently, and growing much bigger. Many projects. Nice facilities.

Cons

Newer management is clueless on how to run the company, so they brought a "Management Consulting company", a step which proves my point. Too many changes and projects with very doubtful possible benefits or ROI. Many failed projects. Most manager are able and good leaders, but few are, really, absolutely the worst I have ever seen. A lot of relatively new, stupid and unnecessary red-tape and "procedures".

Get rid of bad managers, get confidence in yourself and simplify organization structure. Take some risks and come up with new products that customers actually want.

Where a career goes to die.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN

Pros

None, Limited Choices on company 401k. You might learn something as an entry-level employee. However, if this is a professional venture to advance your career, do not be deceived. You will stagnate and your career options will dwindle.

Cons

As a professional, I came in expecting to be supported. I was denied at every turn a chance to manage and implement changes. I couldn't get out of here soon enough. This was a small time operation, feigning to be a professional operation, any changes I recommended from my years of experience were voted down by the business 'partners'. So you have a stand-alone technology shop that can do nothing on their own. There is a big-brother big-sister complex in the entire office, such that there are signs in the bathroom to tell you when and how to flush. There was free coffee on our small team from a single cup machine because they were too cheap and narrow to even upgrade that. Every day you must go through metal detectors and turnstiles, with your RFID badge just to go do technology work. They don't show you this on an interview, instead they will route you through the front office with a single metal detector. There is an air of paranoia, as they are far more concerned about whether you will return a minuscule sign-on bonus, than actually letting you do your job. I should have heeded the warnings given to me before I joined this operation. Long story short, the culture is heavy-handed and insufferable. Don't bother.

Very challenging and comfortable place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

Very challenging and comfortable place to work

Cons

Too much of a work load, not enough time to focus on core skills

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work if you can get it!

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

My experience with Brother was absolutely positive. Unfortunately for me the economy turn a turn for the worst and the company was forced to down size in certain market segments. I remain in touch with people from Brother hear about some good changes that they have implemented. It appears that their future is quite optimistic. I think anyone who is lucky enough to land a job there will be quite happy with the experience. The pay is decent and the benefits are good. I grew with the company until a lay off.

Cons

Can not recall anything negative.

The best company I worked for in 45 years of work

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Fair, honest, worldwide company. Very good work environment. Good opportunity for internal advancement if you are hard worker.

Cons

Downsizing can be tough every few years.

Be careful

Former Employee - Major Accounts Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Benefits- Healh Insurance coverage and cost seems to be reasonable
    Money-Salary is not bad but unsure how it compares to similar jobs
    Coworkers-I did not work at Corporate, but my coworkers I met and communicated with were very helpful and professional.

Cons

Stability- They can and will let you go at anytime- at least in sales. I was hired into a territory that was never visited by Brother or purchased Brother- as an Outside Rep. My territory included very large education institutions. In 7 months I basically had the time to visit the majority of these accounts, drive all over the place, shake someone's hand, and begin the relationship by follow ups. All this without the benefits of any type of leads. Anyone who is in sales knows relationship building takes a long time in major accounts who don't currently buy. Long story short, I was terminated without any type of warning on my 8 month anniversary. Hardly enough time to establish yourself in a completely untouched territory that is dominated by leasing contracts, and the 800lb gorilla, HP.
    Old fashioned- While they finally appear to be coming around, they are not as inovative as competitors. They do little marketing to get the word out compared to HP, Lexmark, Ricoh, etc.
    Management- Many of the upper managers do not have a clue of what our jobs consists of. It's all about the bottom line...even when we do not neccessarily control the bottom line. Brother does not sell direct
    Brother does not sell direct- Initially, I liked the fact that they didn't sell direct. I thought it may be an advantage when you weren't in direct competition with resellers. Now, I feel it was a huge disadvantage. There is a significant dependence on resellers to sell your product. While you can preach the gospel about Brother, ultimately the reseller sells the product and frankly HP is king (because of name and spiffs).Besides this, there is a lot of dependence needed on the resellers and distributors, which makes it hard when you are stuck with a target you need to achieve and Joe Blow reseller, doesn't feel like calling you back.

Value your employees. If you are going to invest in hiring an employee for a new role, make sure they have all the tools to succeed. Don't hang them out to dry and then let them go without any specific reason. Instead, have management actually coach and develop to come with possible better solutions/outcomes.

Generally a nice place to work - but who you know counts for more than what you know and sometimes how well you perform.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

Good benefits, management generally respects employees, friendly coworkers, good working conditions.

Cons

Poor advancement opportunity, flat management structure, Japanese planning dept. and engineers think they know everything.

stable company. nice people. no a lot of room for career development or growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

family atmosphere. Nice people. stable company

Cons

not much career progression. People promoted based on time with company rather then performance. do not empower employees

eliminate politics. empower employees

Brother, its a job.

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Its a job. Its steady work. Its a big organization. There are multiple locations that you can find work in. There are multiple departments that you can move to if there is an opening.

Cons

Like any big organization, Brother International gets bogged down in meetings, procedures, policies, and egos. A lot of good people work for the company because its a job. Are they happy or satisfied, no. Are they uninspired, yes. Meetings and reports have become more important that servicing the customers.

Listen to your employees. In order to improve your organization you need fresh young blood in your upper managemnet. Some of your managers in the service departments are too set in their ways to listen. This is to the disadvantage of your customers.

Departments not people

Pros

Stable employment, rarely bothered as long as got on with work and was producing the right information.
    Good salary, bonus', benefits and pay rises.
    Some teams very good to get on with and discuss and achieve great things with.

Cons

The business / HR team rarely took any account of what was being said, requested, required for development and learning.
    If it wasnt broke - dont fix it.
    some teams not so great and discussing and disseminating information to get your work done.

Learn more about succession planning

Worked for Brother International? Contribute to the Community!