Brother International

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.7

Toshikazu Koike

My time with this company has been full of change but it has been a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Bartlett, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Bartlett, TN

I have been working at Brother International

Pros

There are many opportunities for you to bring your innovative ideas to the table. The recent changes in management are bringing a fresh perspective to the corporate arena at Brother.

Cons

The greatest challenges that Brother faces right now is ambiguity. Brother is a company where the average employee has would there 12+ years and the idea if changing anything terrifies them.

Good company, if you apply yourself you can excel

I have been working at Brother International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Offer plenty of training to help advance. If you have no drive, you're not going to do well.

Cons

HR department has totally restructured. Harder to make contact with that department if an issue arises. Have more or less taken the human out of human resources

Where career dreams, creativity and empowerment go to die.

I have been working at Brother International full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay and good job security (although that is changing rapidly). Nice office building and amenities. Great holiday party and other activities (summer picnic, etc) Some very nice people.

Cons

If you are in the Marketing Department in the Business Machine Group, be prepared to be micro-managed, marginalized, beaten down - all on the good days. Gets worse from there. You are generally punished for independent thought, strategic drive, creativity and daring to question the status quo. Sure, there is lip service that preaches the contrary, but don't believe it. The real change the organization needs is not happening - only window dressing change to kick the can down the road.

Listen to the comments within the annual surveys - the information is there - be brave enough to enact REAL change! Trust your people. Better yet, force Management to do so. Force a work-life balance with telecommuting, flex time and other creative options - otherwise certain members of management will NEVER allow it. Force management to release the reigns and allow your talent to flourish.

good company

Former Employee - Software Support in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Software Support in Memphis, TN

I worked at Brother International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great benefits and great employees

Cons

rude customers and incentives could be more often

focus less on cph and more on cultivating employee mgmt relationships

Stable Job, a Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Marketing in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Brother International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a stable company, with competitive pay and great benefits. Management has an open door policy and allows you to do your own thing and most managers don't micromanage. Great work space and overall infrastructure.

Cons

Can be political, growth based on visibility to Sr. Management and advancement opportunities are limited.

Encourage the young workforce, keep them motivated by allowing them to grow within the company so they don't have to seek opportunities outside.

Good company

I worked at Brother International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice, salary is fair, benefits are good.

Cons

Would claim it was a "family" company - just didn't act that way. Upper management does not take the time to listen to the concerns of its employees. Managers give up rather than take their issues to HR.
    Not enough training - especially for new managers. Employees would get promoted into a lead position but did not know how to manager/talk to their direct reports.
    Poor morale - they do yearly surveys but do nothing to improve poor scores.

Please start listening to your employees and remember that it's the people that contribute to your profit.

Not as good as it used to be.

Current Employee - Corporate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Brother International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company was doing very well recently, and growing much bigger. Many projects. Nice facilities.

Cons

Newer management is clueless on how to run the company, so they brought a "Management Consulting company", a step which proves my point. Too many changes and projects with very doubtful possible benefits or ROI. Many failed projects. Most manager are able and good leaders, but few are, really, absolutely the worst I have ever seen. A lot of relatively new, stupid and unnecessary red-tape and "procedures".

Get rid of bad managers, get confidence in yourself and simplify organization structure. Take some risks and come up with new products that customers actually want.

It is just not the same.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brother International

Pros

Great products and good medical benefits.

Cons

I have been with Brother for 17 years. Brother has changed a lot since they brought on consultants and new management in HR. Since the new HR staff came on board employees do not feel comfortable to approach them with any questions, because of their lack of knowledge and concern for the employees. There is also very little room for growth.

Does it really matter?
    Start taking your employees seriously and treat them with respect. Action speaks louder than words.

Where a career goes to die.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN

I worked at Brother International full-time

Pros

None, Limited Choices on company 401k. You might learn something as an entry-level employee. However, if this is a professional venture to advance your career, do not be deceived. You will stagnate and your career options will dwindle.

Cons

As a professional, I came in expecting to be supported. I was denied at every turn a chance to manage and implement changes. I couldn't get out of here soon enough. This was a small time operation, feigning to be a professional operation, any changes I recommended from my years of experience were voted down by the business 'partners'. So you have a stand-alone technology shop that can do nothing on their own. There is a big-brother big-sister complex in the entire office, such that there are signs in the bathroom to tell you when and how to flush. There was free coffee on our small team from a single cup machine because they were too cheap and narrow to even upgrade that. Every day you must go through metal detectors and turnstiles, with your RFID badge just to go do technology work. They don't show you this on an interview, instead they will route you through the front office with a single metal detector. There is an air of paranoia, as they are far more concerned about whether you will return a minuscule sign-on bonus, than actually letting you do your job. I should have heeded the warnings given to me before I joined this operation. Long story short, the culture is heavy-handed and insufferable. Don't bother.

Very challenging and comfortable place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Brother International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very challenging and comfortable place to work

Cons

Too much of a work load, not enough time to focus on core skills