Broward County

www.broward.org

Broward County Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Broward County – Fort Lauderdale – “Sunny Ft. Lauderdale - A great place to live and…”

Not yet rated.

Barbara Sharief

It's the BEST, nothing LESS!

ProsJob security, Great benefits, Central location, kind and loyal employees

ConsEquipment and job aides are not state of the art.

Lack of good management.

Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsVery good people,, they want to make a difference.

ConsManagement does not know what is a good employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value your employees.

I shouldn't have stay as long as I did

Systems and Programming Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsI started during a time when they were trying to upgrade their applications to the latest versions of everything and it was a great learning experience. I tried to stick with that wave and get involved with any innovate project I could but those quickly got scarce. While in the midst of the upgrade projects, I got some really good training and overall the benefits were good.

ConsTypical government environment with employees who "retired" but are still there collecting a pay check. The pace of improvement is slow and can be frustrating for anyone who is used to getting quick decisions. Office politics were taken to a whole new level with department heads being quite unprofessional in their treatment of each other and employees with whom they disagreed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the leadership programs in the world won't solve the problems if you don't hold the leadership to the most basic standards of professionalism.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really depends on where you work. Broward County talks a good game, but there's favoritism and harassment does exist.

ProsAgain, this depends on where you work and who you work for. Benefits are generally good. I'm checking "recommend to a friend" because it's better to have a job than be unemployed and at least the benefits are decent. Many of the jobs are union but the unions generally are weak.

ConsCounty workers have not received raises in 4 years since the Great Recession but workloads have increased. Favoritism abounds and promotions are often given to pre-designated candidates despite competitive bidding. The culture breeds yespeople and butt-kissers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always take the word of supervisors over employees. If you truly believe that employees are your best asset, treat them with respect.

Working for transit is terrible and the rest of the county doesn't look too good either

ProsFor those who stay for a while, lots of vacation days and sick days. Getting fired is pretty hard especially in the transit division. Work is easy and expectations are low.

ConsMost opportunities for promotions are a sham. They already have someone for the job and are only going through the process because it's required. Nepotism is rampant in Transit. No raises in years, but if you know the right people to fill out the right paperwork or call in favors, you can get more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood long term employees are demoralized and don't care anymore. Look closely at "relationships" in the divisions and you will see a pattern of favoritism and no accountability. It's who you know, not hard work that gets you a promotion or more money.

My experience has been stagnate.

Agent (Current Employee) Plantation, FL

ProsThe Health Benefits are wonderful..

ConsYou cannot advance to another position because 90 percent of the time they already have someone for the position when they announce it. HR and MGMT has to go through the process because its policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job instead of delegating your work to subordinates so that you do nothing all day.

Broward County Response

Jun 5, 2014Staffing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Broward County is an Equal Opportunity Employers which follows “Best Practice” recruitment policies and procedures. Broward County is in the ... More

Such a Disappointment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccured Leave is nice, if you get to use it. A few decent people. Serving the
    public.

ConsI don't normally write reviews online but after seeing the comment that their HR Dept made (perhaps out of concern as to bad publicity) in regard to one of the two negative reviews from May 19th, I felt compelled to speak up.

Quite frankly, HR's allegation that there are things in place to "prevent" what that reviewer noted, (unethical, inappropriate, unprofessional behavior, etc) is B.S. And, when you are the victim of such behavior, the internal agency which supposedly looks into same can be just as bad as the offenders. I am still shocked at some of the things that go on there and at how poorly people who object to such behavior are treated in retribution.

Some of the comments in other reviews, such as lack of accountability, the fact that very few peole there work hard, long-timers who would not make it in the real world (outside of county employment), lack of communication, poor management, low salaries for many, and promotions based on favors, are true as well.

Like the Park's employee noted in their June 2nd review, they go through the promotion process just for show and usually have already decided before the position is even posted.

There is so much time-wasted at the tax-payers expense, it's astounding.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to offer advice when some of the "bad seeds" are very high up the ladder and the current culture is so deeply embedded. I think that they need to get an independent, 3rd party in to investigate and get rid of quite a few people who do not deserve to be on the tax-payers payroll.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, unique experience, great exposure to technology,

ConsStagnant mindset, no teamwork, very low morale, very hostile work environment where co-workers are often more of a hinderance than an actual help

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good and sometimes in order to encourage a new mindset and encourage growth you may need to get rid of the those individuals who have been a bad seed for years. Set the example and support your leadership.

Getting Better

Park Manager (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGood benefits and pension, flexible hours, vacation accrual based on years of service. Relatively decent promotional capability.

ConsBelow average pay, low performing co workers and no real evaluation process. No merit or step pay increases. Typical bureaucracy to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to reexamine essential job functions, pay scales and overall work processes. Changes have not been made in 15+ years and it is about time.

I work with a group of very smart and hard working individuals who do incredible things on a limited budget.

ProsImpacting the lives of people in our community.

ConsNot always being recognized for all of the things that we do.

Worked for Broward County? Contribute to the Community!