Broward County Schools

Updated September 4, 2014
2.6

Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert W. Runcie
Robert W. Runcie

Pros
  • The company offers great benefits (in 3 reviews)

• I've met some great people over the years who work for the Broward County Schools (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Job security is becoming obsolete (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of budget cuts which may result in surplus or layoff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Sometimes lacking the big picture

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

District is fairly well-organized for being so large; has some innovative programs and practices in place, much depends on the school placement, there was decent funding professional development opportunities when I was there.

Cons

Budget freezes kept teachers salaries virtually locked in place without step raises, little opportunity for advancement, big variations in how well resourced different schools are, too much bureaucracy, corruption and politics in high places

Schools should be focused on more meaningful indicators of progress and performance, rather than simply trying to comply with top down mandates that can seem arbitrary and lacking in depth or understanding of context.

NO MONEY for MUCH STRESS

Former Employee - Para Professional  in  Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Para Professional in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours and Holidays off. Days go by fast.

Cons

No money no room to get more money. No summer paid. You had to bank your own money to get it back during the summer. Your raising and potty training and teaching other people's children! In Florida it is a degree required profession at barely minimum wages. Can't afford to cover your own children or your spouse with health benefits due to the cost. Very cheap for babysitting basically. Lots of responsibility though.

Care about the people taking care of the children!

Messy attempt at changing the organizational culture

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time

Pros

The compensation seemed good at the start but the unpaid overtime and cost saving reductions in benefits have a negative impact.

Cons

Internal processes related to overtime, fair hiring practices, job classification, compensation and communication are inconsistent at best and inappropriate at worst.

You cannot effect organizational change without engaging your internal customers. While you have received awards for your community engagement efforts, you have completely forgotten to recruit and retain change agents from within the organization. The result has been instability at every level in the organization. Key roles remain empty for months or years only to be filled and almost immediately vacated. One director lasted less than a month.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved working for the school board as a substitute teacher. Very professional and helpful

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pros to me was I got to work with students and meet some great teachers and staff

Cons

One con was subs don't get to work in the summer time and can't get unemployment ecspecially if you worked the whole year at one school

Teaching is not enough

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing colleagues
    No two days are alike

Cons

Networking is key to promotions

Offer an "Experience Broward" type of opportunity for current employees for available positions in the county in order to be promoted

Proactive

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time

Pros

Proactive workers on this company

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say

Not Impressed

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When you work at the schools, you follow the same calendar and hours of your kids. Depending on where you work, your hours are OK.

Cons

Worked as a Teacher assistant for six years and salaries are embarrassingly low for the kind of work done, the risk, and the responsibility. Progressed to a job at the District level and I am OK, but I feel moving further is going to be slow. Not a wide range or innovative training programs and opportunities. Once you exhaust the trainings offered, you're on your own. I had hoped that being this an educational institution, more support could be offered in terms of training and advanced education for non-teaching personnel.
    There is no reward system in place...you get a paycheck every two weeks and a performance review at the end of the school year that yields nothing; it's just a paper. So you may have an Outstanding Evaluation but zero rewards.

I would like to see more innovation at the professional development and compensation level. More training availability and more opportunities to pursue advanced academic degrees for non teaching personnel. I would also like to see that an employee's efforts are rewarded with a comprehensive rewards plan that recognizes an employee's contribution to the organization.

Veteran teacher

I worked at Broward County Schools

Pros

Large county which has every socioeconomic status possible.

Cons

Large county, so you are just a personnel number.

Teacher

I have been working at Broward County Schools

Pros

Summers off, Christmas and Spring Break

Cons

Very limited opportunities for advancement, salary low and administration can be overly critical.

Administrators do not give moral

Current Employee - Para  in  Browardale, FL
    Current Employee - Para in Browardale, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The students that really want to learn.

Cons

So many, too much work and not support...very low paid.....example....paraprofesionals.

None cause they do not care or listen.....it will be nice for them to live one day with the nasty students...I would like them how they can handle them.....I saw my principal calling the police cause he could not control one student cursing at him.....

Worked for Broward County Schools? Contribute to the Community!