Brown Brothers Harriman

www.bbh.com

Brown Brothers Harriman Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Brown Brothers Harriman Managing Partner Digger Donahue Jr.
Digger Donahue Jr.

Pros
  • Recent ability to work remotely somewhat keeps a better work life balance in check (in 34 reviews)

• as long as you're not a temp, job security is not an issue (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • At the time, I thought that the work/life balance was decent (3 weeks vacation (in 7 reviews)

• In reality they provide NO room for advancement to those young European graduates and offer pennies for which it is hard to make it through the month (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Investor Services Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Investor Services Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brown Brothers Harriman as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work. The people are great. My boss is very reasonable have not had a single problem with her expectations for me. I will say though you can make your time at BBH productive by really embracing the atmosphere and working to network to be promoted or you can just sit behind a desk and do your work.

Cons

when first starting off they give you temp like jobs which are very short term. They want to see that you are a good fit and a hard worker. This can lead to some people finding other jobs thinking there is not another job coming after you complete your assignment.

Operations Specialist

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman

Pros

- Employees and middle managers are pretty good at grinning and bearing it

Cons

- Leaving Americans with few jobs and exploiting the cheaper Polish labor market to the extreme levels by APPEARING as a quality company that attracts top talent. In reality they provide NO room for advancement to those young European graduates and offer pennies for which it is hard to make it through the month.
    - In the meantime their bunch of awfully wealthy top managers who create legends around themselves make deals with companies such as Fidelity, which are supposed to wisely invest people's money to secure their retirement, but when the time to collect it comes, not only do we have to wait to get it back long times as if they were doing us a favor, but they steal the large cut of the profit. Far too large. It serves the unethical "woolfs of wall street" of our times and therefore, it is just a part of the global financial speculation in which the wealthy get wealthier and the poor move numbers from one excel spreadsheet to another to make it all possible.
    - With its excellent customer service BBH serves banks that make international purchases that are damaging to developing economies and again, they are partially responsible for the massive global gap between the rich and the poor.
    -Working for BBH can be described as a parallel to working as a miner in an African diamond factory. There should be no positive sentiment built around it. Yet there is and the smart, young, but desperate European graduates waste their potential by believing those rich crooks.

Nothing can be changed unless people detach themselves from this matrix.

Overworked, underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stellar reputation (good for the resume), stable job security, decent benefits ( with the exception of the new health insurance) surrounded by great people. Involved with the community, charitable work opportunities available- if your manager allows you to partake.

Cons

Higher ups vastly concerned with money and not people. Out of touch with the daily grind, don't seem to understand the trickle down impact that their decisions have on their employees. Underpaid, minimal training, low morale. Very little is done to boost morale- ie company outings, teams being given the okay to use the am ex etc.

BBH is a large fish bowl and you are one small tadpole

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The name, tuition reimbursement, and benefits

Cons

You are just a number to the company that doesn't really care what you wanna do in the future.

Give employees the green light on wanting to do more

Excruciatingly brutal

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that come to mind

Cons

Partners, therefore managers that don't care about employees,
    no room for growth, only deadweight gets to move around in the company
    I actually felt punished for doing a good job as my co-worker who did nothing all day was allowed to go to trainings, move to other groups, etc. My manager told me he couldn't spare me for the time the training took, etc.

Take a look at all the talent you've lost, and look at the dead weight you are left with. This includes middle managers.

Micromanager x's 10

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a Good work life balance

Cons

Management is extremely counter- productive and convoluted in their responses.

Everybody is a VP or an AVP which makes no sense to me but it's great if you leave the company with one of those titles.

One too many meetings and no open dialogue from manager to employee.

Aweful about making meetings and being on time or showing up at all.

Give your management team the proper training or don't give direct reports to just anybody. The management needs a total restructuring...

Great place to intern

Former Employee - Corporate Actions Specialist II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Corporate Actions Specialist II in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, good work/life balance, and plenty of opportunities for growth

Cons

They may lack a little as far as training goes for their interns, but it just requires a self-starter and means more hands-on learning.

Firm has a great reputation for professionalism but not for innovation or market leadership. Focus on growth.

A very stable firm with nice employees.

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Stability, company culture, willingness to help young employees with career development.

Cons

Pay is low for industry standards. Not the most exciting work in finance.

If you want to retain top talent pay them like it.

Reliable but Stagnant

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable company, dedicated and nice people

Cons

No personal growth, against positive change, behind the times

Look at best practices and apply them. Even though you are a private company and "do things differently," to the outside world, you are just another financial company that is expected to keep up with the trends.

BBH Internship/Coop

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman as an intern

Pros

Good people, try to help, some people can teach you new things if you are very persistent and connect with the right people

Cons

Terrible place to work, boss and coworkers all complained about bad work load, bad salary, bad coffee on a daily basis. Most employees were unhappy and a few that I got close to said they would leave if they could. Boss made weekly meetings for duration of internship but cancelled most. Office cramped and boring. Chances of advancement looked bleak

Find a way to satisfy your employees

Brown Brothers Harriman Photos