Brown Brothers Harriman

www.bbh.com

Brown Brothers Harriman Reviews in Denver, CO

3.1

Brown Brothers Harriman Managing Partner Digger Donahue Jr.
Digger Donahue Jr.

Pros
  • Recent ability to work remotely somewhat keeps a better work life balance in check (in 34 reviews)

• as long as you're not a temp, job security is not an issue (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • At the time, I thought that the work/life balance was decent (3 weeks vacation (in 7 reviews)

• In reality they provide NO room for advancement to those young European graduates and offer pennies for which it is hard to make it through the month (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart, experienced professionals to work with, at levels both above and below. Most of the people I worked with were great people.

Cons

Career progression was stifled by senior management - that is, several levels above my direct report. I was never given a concrete reason for lack of promotion and no clear direction for how to improve my performance. There was nothing quantifiable in my reviews - I was told I was "great", but was always kept at an "average" score.

People who are serious about their career understand how market conditions affect a firm's ability to compensate its employees, however, there needs to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel to know that you'll succeed and that you'll progress as management has done in their careers.

A culture of mediocrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman

Pros

Offers a great opportunity to learn the basics of back office/custodial work.

Get to work with a notable company in OppenheimerFunds.

Decent pay relative to other back office companies.

Basic and constant hours.

Is not intellectually challenging.

Cons

The company neither rewards exceptional work nor punishes over subpar work. The expectation is that each employee puts in a "C" effort and gets recognized as such. This is exemplified by the expectation that you work 40 and only 40 hours a week. Putting in more than 40 hours to finish tasks is not recognized as good practice - they would rather things get left undone.

No recognition for hard work. Again, the expectation is a pedestrian work pace through your 8 hour day. Creating efficiencies or new best practices have to be approved by upper management after a gauntlet testing phase. The preference is to just "follow procedures" and existing protocol.

No long term growth. When looking at candidates, the person who has been at the company the longest will get the position over the candidate who is more qualified. This creates a bottle neck at the top with very little room for career growth (in regards to responsibility, salary, etc) over the near term. This leads to the next point: HR rules the company. This is the only company I have worked for where the needs of managers gets trumped by HR (see above). A very frustrating atmosphere knowing your growth is tied to HR practices not your personal aptitude.

Morale? Move along. You will find none at this company. Temps, low personal development, and little recognition make it hard to stay positive. Translates to an exceptionally high turnover rate.

Is not Intellectually challenging. Recent grads work hard for their degrees and are looking for a challenging job. This job is nothing but following written procedures and clicking your mouse all day. Hard to go from the stimulating atmosphere of college to shutting your mind off each morning when walking through the doors.

My advice if you are looking for entry level work out of college is to keep looking for new opportunities. This is very far from the investment decision process and is not investment banking. You can find something better! I promise you!

Improve morale and offer upward mobility on merit not on tenure.

A good place to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Operations Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great medical and educational benefits

Cons

Advancement and development are limited

An Historic Bank with a Prestigious Reputation (so they say)

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Brown Brothers Harriman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a long history.
    Global presence.

Cons

Low pay.
    Lack of employee appreciation.
    Hire many employees as temps instead of full-time.
    Too proud of bizarre history.

Don't add partners at BBH and then announce a lack of raises. Keep a low profile on how wealthy you are and the firm's involvement in Skull and Bones. The fact that the company has been around a while doesn't ensure that it will continue to be around. Value your employees, and pretend like you care if they leave Brown Brothers. BBH seems to just be a name at this point.

Brown Brothers Harriman Photos