Brown Distributing

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

J. Dan Brown

Hard work but a good job

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brown Distributing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, weekends off, benefits, amazing co-workers, real people who genuinely care

Cons

long hours, you better love driving...

I have always wanted to work for a company where I am more than just a number, and that is how I feel at Brown. Upper management is really great, and I can talk to them like they are real people. Their open door policy is truly that, which I appreciate. Tracey in HR is a peach, and I have enjoyed everyone I have worked with so far. Their training program is unique in that they have you train in every aspect of the company. I love working here. I hate driving, but I love my job. You cannot be shy and work here. Any sales job is about fostering relationships.

One of the worst companies I have worked for

Current Employee - Craft Loader in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Craft Loader in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Brown Distributing

Pros

Employees will have plenty of work & overtime to do if they work in the warehouse over night.

Cons

Management & ownership has no respect for the warehouse employees. I have worked until 4 or 5am Christmas & Thanksgiving morning. I worked in the Craft beer section and for a long time we were able to go home when our work was done. Management made a changer and never told us. My coworkers & I had to help out the Anheusher Busch side because they were always short staffed. I was working from 5pm to 5am most nights. Work is important, but I cannot continue being @ work all night and morning.

Respect the good workers you have.

Brown Distributing - Richmond VA

Former Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brown Distributing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company buys food and spends big money on giveaways, especially during the Christmas season. Lots of company parties and it's a beer company so you get a first look into all the local events and new beers coming out. You are not allowed to purchase beer at a discount as they used to do. I do believe you are allowed discounts on beers at Brown sponsored events (if you actually have time away from work to go).

Cons

I worked in the warehouse. It was a relatively easy yet repetitive job. Employees show up on days they feel like it and are not reprimanded. They hire and fire often, some of the worst employees were kept and not being trained while the better employees got thrown into the fire. There was so much room for improvement, and this was brought up at meetings on several occasions, but unlike the last company I worked for, very little if anything at all was changed in the >12 months I worked there. The employees spent lots of time complaining and little time offering new ideas. This lack of appreciation and teamwork makes me understand why more wasn't done to accommodate the warehouse area. Overall low moral throughout, lots of people who would act like your friend and stab you in the back. A bunch of miscommunication and drama. New employees were not trained correctly, and had they been utilized, hours wouldn't have been so long for everyone (2pm - well into the AM). Don't even consider if you have a family. There was no supervision of what went on in the cooler, management was often too busy with other things to walk the floor and I feel their decisions were limited by higher management. Monster energy was sold in the drink machines for $1 a can, most of these were damages, unwashed and stained from busting open on the floor or out of date. Several employees shaking the machine to steal free drinks, if that gives any idea of what kind of people you'd be working with. All paychecks were consistently incorrect, chasing down a payroll person was quite the adventure. Trying to figure out my paycheck was a nightmare. I still don't know if I was ever correctly compensated to this day, or who I was supposed to talk to to resolve the problem. As far as the warehouse is concerned, I didn't feel like there were opportunities to advance, keeping people was hard enough whether they left on their own or were wrongfully terminated. MIGHT be able to advance into management but after reading the above, I'll let you decide if that's a wise choice.

Middle management ~ Perhaps these problems are out of your control, get another job. Upper management ~ I'd already discussed what needed to be done, obviously my advice fell on deaf ears. Wasted enough time already, for all I care this company can continue to fail.

A rudderless ship, haplessly searching for direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at Brown Distributing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, free case of beer every other month, company vehicle as a sales rep (could take several years), hunting trips if you like slaughtering deer, and a good place to observe a train wreck on occasion. Average 401k plan and good health insurance. Some really good people just lost and stuck in the current regime.

Cons

Lack of direction, cronyism, average pay, below average bonus structure, must work a decade to get a third week of vacation, if you like working on holidays sign up here, micromanagement, glass ceiling, incompetence is openly accepted if not encouraged, company goals are ambiguous and contradictory. Too many Managers and not leaders. A title can be a dangerous weapon in the hands of an inexperienced user.
    Training is limited.

Allow the younger core to collaborate with senior management to right the ship from sinking. The problems are clear but are never addressed or blatantly ignored. It really is a sad state; however a renewed passion and desire to remove the issues could make a significant difference. Cross-training and monthly panel discussions on the state of the market and company could prove to be very successful. Your were a great company, fix the glaring problems, remove certain individuals who have no business being in management roles. Too many individuals as managers but not leaders. A title doesn't make you a leader or automatically garner respect. Treat your employees with respect and take a look in the mirror. The foundation is severely cracked but it can be rebuilt. Give your employees the tools to succeed and get out of the way. Avoid the same propaganda, it's antiquated and doesn't work. With all respect, best of luck. You can regain your spot as the top wholesaler in the Austin market.

Job security, but underwhelming pay and incompetent management...

Current Employee - Office Staff in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at Brown Distributing

Pros

Job security is great -- unless you're an absolute dope you're not going to get fired.
    Pay is ok, but benefits are great. 401k, medical, dental, etc are top notch.

Cons

Because you have to be a idiot to get fired, LOTS of management/supervisors (especially in the sales team) are grossly unqualified for their jobs. It's incredibly frustrating watching the goons scratch their heads why sales are down... maybe it's because you have managed to staff your entire sales department with people who don't know how to sell anything?

Lots of redundant management... must be 20 sales 'managers' consisting of people who have done nothing more than stick around for 5+ years.

Open your eyes and really look at who you're hiring and promoting internally. Just because so-and-so says they're great, doesn't mean they are. Next thing you know your whole sales force (who are the lifeblood of the company) is made up of people that one guy thinks are great, but everyone else knows are awful.