Brown-Forman

Brown-Forman Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Brown-Forman Chairman, President and CEO Paul C. Varga

Paul C. Varga

An amazing company to work for.

ProsThey are so involved in the community. They support their employees and create a enjoyable work environment.

ConsWhen I figure that out I'll let you know.

Great products, booming business

Finance Employee (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

Pros- open and diverse work culture
    - exciting and fun brands
    - warm and friendly employees
    - competitive salaries and amazing benefits!!!!

Cons- lack of set career paths
    - lacking young professionals or jobs for recent graduates

State Manager

State Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat onboarding process. Wonderful support system and culture. Phenomenal benefits.

ConsNo obvious cons as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic focus on associates attracts and retain the best talent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Culture

ProsGreat company to work for, excellent culture. There are many benefits here that not are available at other companies - flexibility in hours/location, Cafe on campus, extra Holidays off, hair salon onsite, as well as a product spending allowance.

ConsIt's very difficult to move around in the company. Most people tend to stay in their positions for years. Lateral movements are more common.

Great company to work for!!

Louisville, KY

ProsAllows you to grow and stretch your abilities and provides a continuous learning environment, flexible scheduling is great for work/life balance. Time off: many holidays vacation time.

ConsSome departments seem to work in silos, and in certain areas, there is little room for advancement.

Marvellous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment. Great people. Great Brands

ConsMany people involved in most decisions

Cutthroat management, Workaholic culture

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsGreat pay, benefits and perks. Beautiful corporate campus. Lot's of parties and fun activities involving B-F's brands. Complex and interesting business to work in.

Cons"My way or the highway" CEO. Surrounds himself with yes men. This leads to a cutthroat back stabbing and insular culture at the highest levels of the Corporation. Many senior executives have dubious business ethics. For the most part, senior management lack creativity, an understanding of the real world outside of Brown-Forman and, in some cases, intellect. B-F is basically a one trick pony. Let's face it, it does not take a rocket scientist to make money off of Jack Daniels.

The company has little loyalty to its employees. In the end, it's all about lining the pockets of senior executives and Brown family members. Under previous management, this was not the case.

A lot of talk and no real action when it comes to social responsibility. Contrary to claims in some editions of B-F's Annual Report, alcohol is not like a car because both can be abused. Alcohol is enjoyed responsibility. Yet it is also an addictive psychotropic substance causing great harm to millions of people, families and society as a whole. B-F is mostly talk, not action, when it comes to addressing these concerns. In recent years, they have gone to extreme -- some employees say too extreme -- lengths to promote diversity. Yet the company has retrenched from its reputation as a leader in social responsibility, sustainability and community engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the snobby Louisville Country Club mentality.

Start living up to your obligations to society and your employees.

Abandon Paul Varga's "my way or the highway" culture. Replace it with the "None of us is as smart as all of us" philosophy of the late Owsley Brown II.

Small Town Feel

Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Union, NJ

ProsSolid brands, everyone who comes into NJ market from B-F to visit whether they were marketing, brand, finance, etc. were honestly nice people.

Laid back, calmer company. Leads to less stress, but also more lax attitude regarding salaries sizes.

Opportunity to participate in and experience great, unique brand events.

Seems to be more politics in headquarters in Louisville, not so much out in the field.

Small town feel to the company, which is a pro or con.

ConsSlow moving, conservative company often late to act. Regarding future career advancements, there is poor management of expectations for those in training program which often leads to empty promises.

Like any corporation there is a bit of corporate hassel. Those in contracted positions and training programs are often sold a bright future within B-F. Once in the training/contracted positions, one realizes the vision was oversold and not as bright as once thought to be. It is what it is and there are always opportunities outside of B-F. The training programs/contracted positions do enable one to enter the wine and spirits industry and provide great training in managing a diverse portfolio of brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to management your employees' expectations regarding their future and speak honestly to them about it.

I loved working at BF

Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsClose family like atmosphere, employee development is great, great perks and work life balance

ConsNeed to focus on diversity more

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the talent that you have

Brown-Forman employees are beyond the best people I have ever worked with

ProsBrown-Forman cares about it employees, challenges you, gives you room for growth, and is extremely good about making sure it's employees are happy. They have fantastic benefits and are very family friendly.

ConsYou must be able to relocate

Worked for Brown-Forman? Contribute to the Community!

Brown-Forman Videos

Brown-Forman – Why Work for Us?

Brown-Forman is a diversified producer of fine quality consumer products. It was founded in 1870 by George Garvin Brown in Louisville, KY, U.S. His original brand, Old Forester Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky, was… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown-Forman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brown-Forman CEO Paul C. Varga. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Brown-Forman employees.